JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Without reading the article, I would say that some LEO shootings and general public fear, is indirectly due to private gun ownership in that anti-gunners and LEO training have caused the public and LEOs to be fearful of anyone with a gun.

Open carry activists and activists who carry guns to and during protests against gun control, just make this fear worse and play into the hands of the anti-gunners.

They trotted this angle out before, been dusting it off pretty regularly since Ferguson.
It temporarily replaces the "Only cops should have guns" meme until the climate shifts again.
The civilian disarmament industry is rigid in their dogma and a stranger to the truth, but it has an outfit for every occasion... its the Mrs Howell of activism.

Hmmm...
I own many firearms...I also know many folks who own firearms...we have not caused "police violence" , by our owning of firearms.
In fact most gun owners that I know , are also not wanting or interested in causing violence of any kind.
Andy

Only cops should have guns.

Disband the police.

1592931563022.png

Many cops I know are also gun owners, so there is that!

Many cops shouldn't be trusted to carry a fly swatter, so there is that as well!

Point is, it has never been about the gun or the people who own them, it's about WHO can control those who do, who can decide if you can or cant, and ultimately, (As seen in Seattle,) only Their buddies in charge can have guns, NO ONE ELSE!

People are made to fear that which they do not understand, and the MSM has made guns and gun ownership out to be seriously bad. Look at places that have and celebrate open carry like Texas and Arizona, people in those states don't fear guns or their owners near as much! It's only in the ultra liberal collage cities and towns where "Gun Violence" happens, and people live in fear!
Little do they know how many of us carry concealed daily with out anyone any wiser!

On a more serious note, statistically, the guy or gal holding a CCW/CHL is the most law abiding person in the country. I don't know for certain why, but maybe it is the responsibility that comes with not just owning a gun but carrying one on your person that makes you rethink situations: walking a safer route, not antagonizing an idiot, etc.

A good study would actually be to fund CHL classes and a few defensive pistol classes for a group of people in a moderate risk category to see if the likelihood of crime in that area decreases due to this responsibility and training.

But, yes, our cops do act differently than other country's simply due to our gun culture. Every traffic stop could be that one final stop where there's a pissed off motorist with a gun, an outstanding warrant, and an "I ain't goin' back" attitude. That's something our UK friends simply don't have to contemplate.

Just because the subject may have a gun does not mean the cop's shoot first and ask questions later violence is condoned. It means that our cops need far and away more training so as to be able to handle situations professionally. How do we get that? By reforming how the police function and what we expect from them.

I'm fairly tired of the "ban guns" thought process. Civilian ownership of them is a guaranteed right. There have only been 27 Amendments to the Constitution, one of which was a reversal/nullification of a previous, in 244 years...the last of which was passed in '92. There are a significant amount of people alive and voting who have never lived to see an Amendment even proposed, let alone passed.

Pew did some research in 2017 finding that 30% of Americans own a gun while another 11% don't but live with someone who does. Of the ~69% that don't own one, 36% could see themselves owning one (and it's probably that group that rushed the gun stores these past few months). So, no, an Amendment to reverse the 2nd has no chance in hell of passing during this current generation. Given this year's impacts, and Gen Z's swing towards conservative values, gun bans aren't going to be a serious proposal for a long, long time (IMO).

The anti-gun zealots are freaking out right now due the recent crowd of new gun owners. Ironically, a large chunk of all recent gun purchases are first time gun owners and from the left. The gun grabbers don't know how to address this so they just double down on their usual Marxist drivel. Expect more. They will just get louder as we get closer to November.

Many cops I know are also gun owners, so there is that!
Some LEO here would know best but I am aware of a handful of officers who are personally against guns. I know through church or other acquaintance, but they only have a gun due to the job.

Don't want them in their house and don't want anyone else to have them. I find it interesting that no alternative to civilians owning guns for self defense is ever given. Seeing how they want police to go away...what. Decriminalize rape and murder like in the CHAZ?

The anti-gun zealots are freaking out right now due the recent crowd of new gun owners.
Exactly!

How are these 'anti-gun zealots' dealing with the fact probably a lot of new owners are their 'brethren' ?

And I wonder how many of these 'new gun owners' are staunch, left wing followers of CHOP/CHAZ or whatever acronym they are a part of.

Or I wonder how many of the above same only became 'first time' gun owners because of their perceived belief they would become part of some 'movement' or 'cause' and believed they might need a gun - for whatever 'reasons'.

I may have a 'skewed' perception of this but when I see (or read about) the protestors/occupiers carrying guns I do not interpret this as being influenced by pro-right, 2A attitudes or opinions.

Hmmm...
I own many firearms...I also know many folks who own firearms...we have not caused "police violence" , by our owning of firearms.
In fact most gun owners that I know , are also not wanting or interested in causing violence of any kind.
Andy
More over if your causing violence you have a felony on your record pretty quick and wouldnt legally be able to own firearms. I never understood blaming law abiding citizens who have had firearms for 20 30 40 years or more and never caused a problem with them for what criminals do.

So, no, an Amendment to reverse the 2nd has no chance in hell of passing during this current generation.

Maybe

Given this year's impacts, and Gen Z's swing towards conservative values, gun bans aren't going to be a serious proposal for a long, long time (IMO).

State and municipal bans are already in place. Federal bans (with grandfathering) have been in place previously. There is the NFA. The SCOTUS has shown it doesn't want to address 2A cases, and in the past has supported bans (recently, the bumpstock ban).

Just because it would be unconstitutional does not mean it would come about. There are a LOT of laws that are unconstitutional because of precedent and other convoluted thinking on the part of judges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top