JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I was thinking both spawned illicit industries which provided product at the expense of rising gangs and cartels. I think the war on drugs is largely the same thing, only more developed. It is as if we doubled down on prohibition.

That they did. Of course making any drug illegal does not stop people from getting it. Prohibition though was nothing like the pot market. No doubt a LOT of the money behind campaigns to keep pot illegal comes from people who make money selling the stuff. There is still just no way congress is going to try go back and outlaw alcohol again. As I said any politician who brought this up now would be laughed out of the place. People who want to smoke pot often claim that the answer is to make drugs legal, all drugs. This of course sounds good to people who are high all the time. They have little clue what would happen if this was done and you could buy drugs at the store like alcohol. It would be a good way to weed out a lot of the dead weight in this county in a very short time. Problem is few would have to stomach for it since it would be VERY ugly, very fast.

Not that I agree with the State of Hawaii on this but if the goal is not to mix marijuana and guns, then the letter should ask for either the guns or the medical marijuana to be turned in. The person should be able to choose....
Screw that noise,the 2nd amendment doesn't say you can owns firearms "if you do as we say",it says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
It doesn't say there are any dis-qualifiers,being a U.S. citizen is the only requirement,if a felon gets one then he shouldn't have been set free in the first place,but it is his right still.

Lest we have already forgotten that far more dangerous drugs were being legally used at the time it was written.
Lets not also forget that people on prescription opioids are not barred from owning firearms and opioids are bit of a problem in this country,an epidemic really,but pot is bad :rolleyes:.

Screw that noise,the 2nd amendment doesn't say you can owns firearms "if you do as we say",it says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
It doesn't say there are any dis-qualifiers,being a U.S. citizen is the only requirement,if a felon gets one then he shouldn't have been set free in the first place,but it is his right still.

Lest we have already forgotten that far more dangerous drugs were being legally used at the time it was written.
Lets not also forget that people on prescription opioids are not barred from owning firearms and opioids are bit of a problem in this country,an epidemic really,but pot is bad :rolleyes:.
Neither of those arguments hold up. The Supreme Court has upheld restrictions on gun ownership by specified individuals on many occasions and the not as bad argument is always a non starter.

This is a major reason why legalizing marijuana is bad idea...we have a state saying it is okay...the Fed's still saying "No" and a state saying that if you do , you can't own guns...No one here is one the same page.
Andy

Everything is arbitrary to these officials.

Marijuana is federally illegal, state passes medical marijuana law, defying federal law
owning a gun and having a medical marijuana card is illegal, state enforces federal law

just pick and chose. I think I will do that with my taxes from now on. Instead of paying the whole bill, I will pay for highway maintenance, sanitation and health departments to inspect restaurants, some military.

By the way, they announced today that they are not going to require people to turn in guns. They just cant get a permit allowing them to buy anymore. National backlash hit them hard (or realizing they cant win a lawsuit if they start confiscating property without a conviction)

Not that I agree with the State of Hawaii on this but if the goal is not to mix marijuana and guns, then the letter should ask for either the guns or the medical marijuana to be turned in. The person should be able to choose....

How about all the people on prescription drugs? should they have to turn in their guns too? What about all these crazy veterans with PTSD, should they turn their firearms in too? Should all those people have to choose to either refuse care or to keep their rights?

How about all the people on prescription drugs? should they have to turn in their guns too? What about all these crazy veterans with PTSD, should they turn their firearms in too? Should all those people have to choose to either refuse care or to keep their rights?

To get a firearm permit in Hawaii that allows you to buy a firearm you have to give the police full access to your medical records. A physician can then report to the police, for any reason they want, that the person cant own a firearm (drugs, mental health, what ever they want). The police will then require the person get clearance form signed from the physician to allow them to get a firearm. Most physicians refuse to sign the clearance form for any reason.

To get a firearm permit in Hawaii that allows you to buy a firearm you have to give the police full access to your medical records. A physician can then report to the police, for any reason they want, that the person cant own a firearm (drugs, mental health, what ever they want). The police will then require the person get clearance form signed from the physician to allow them to get a firearm. Most physicians refuse to sign the clearance form for any reason.

That sounds totally legal and nondiscriminatory.

Why don't they have a "medical alcohol" program, and if you sign up for it, you have to turn in your car? Wouldn't that be about the same thing? If you put it that way, you can easily see how ridiculous it is to require someone to turn in his guns because he can legally buy pot.

Marijuana has been a Schedule 1 drug (Federally) Since October 1st, 1937 (80 years and 2 months, tomorrow). Were it repealed, there may be a lower cost for Law Enforcement, but there would be a definite problem with more consumption and greater problems due to greater availability. (There have already been more problems with increased consumption). It doesn't,

1. make you more intelligent,
  2. increase lung capacity,
  3. make you richer,
  4. make you more glamorous,
  5. increase longevity.
I understand not wanting the Federal Government to interfere with our lives, but I can't understand how recreational Cannabis enhances our lives.

I can live without it. How about you?

Why don't they have a "medical alcohol" program, and if you sign up for it, you have to turn in your car? Wouldn't that be about the same thing? If you put it that way, you can easily see how ridiculous it is to require someone to turn in his guns because he can legally buy pot.

The way people fight for the right to use Pot I have to wonder if something has not been changed with Pot to make it addicting. It never seemed to be when I was a kid but the way so many are willing to suspend common sense and even toss away good jobs to use it something must have happened.
There is no "medical alcohol" because alcohol in not illegal by Fed law. It is amazing that so many seem to not be able to grasp this.
As for what they are trying to do on the big island is simple. They are VERY anti gun. So they are choosing to follow the Fed law on use of pot and guns, while they choose to ignore the Fed law on things they want to ignore. In the state we are talking about you need a State issued permit to even own a gun. So that state wants to follow the Fed law on pot and guns. For the pot fans to turn themselves inside out pretending like they don't understand that pot is not allowed under Fed law makes me wonder what it is in pot these days to make people lust after it that badly. It is amazing to watch this. Starting to make me really wonder if pot is really as harmless as I always thought it was. People seem to be willing to give up everything to use it. Getting kind of scary.

We are very spoiled here on the mainland. We can go buy a firearm and many sqwack when they have to wait for a background check to process. In Hawaii buying a firearm is not so easy:

So the headlines of the Honolulu PD sending letters asking for people to turn in their guns is just a courtesy. They already know who owns what, how many etc... IMO HI have let their 2A rights be infringe which many of us would not tolerate.

Here is the answer about how Hawaii lost their 2A rights....:rolleyes:

Former Governors of Hawaii William F. Quinn John A. Burns George R. Ariyoshi John Waihee Benjamin J. Cayetano

The way people fight for the right to use Pot I have to wonder if something has not been changed with Pot to make it addicting. It never seemed to be when I was a kid but the way so many are willing to suspend common sense and even toss away good jobs to use it something must have happened.
There is no "medical alcohol" because alcohol in not illegal by Fed law. It is amazing that so many seem to not be able to grasp this.
As for what they are trying to do on the big island is simple. They are VERY anti gun. So they are choosing to follow the Fed law on use of pot and guns, while they choose to ignore the Fed law on things they want to ignore. In the state we are talking about you need a State issued permit to even own a gun. So that state wants to follow the Fed law on pot and guns. For the pot fans to turn themselves inside out pretending like they don't understand that pot is not allowed under Fed law makes me wonder what it is in pot these days to make people lust after it that badly. It is amazing to watch this. Starting to make me really wonder if pot is really as harmless as I always thought it was. People seem to be willing to give up everything to use it. Getting kind of scary.

Getting kind of scary? No, we're just getting kind of stupid. I refuse to be a slave to some substance that isn't helping me live a healthier life. I thought most of us were more intelligent than that.

I just hope I'm not wrong.

Getting kind of scary? No, we're just getting kind of stupid. I refuse to be a slave to some substance that isn't helping me live a healthier life. I thought most of us were more intelligent than that.

I "hear" the stuff is super potent compared to what we had many decades ago so I have to wonder if that is what is happening here. I was VERY illegal when I was doing it but as a kid we did not much care. After I turned 18 I was of course FAR more careful for a while till I just stopped. The way people are acting about it now I have to think it has become addicting. Maybe the Feds were right all along.

Like bad fat, too much sodium, red meat, sugar, nitrates?

Adults get to make adult decisions. Even if it doesn't help you live a "healthier life".

I understand what the question states on the 4473 form but...
If marijuana is legal in your state...then you are not a unlawful user...and if you are not addicted , then you are responsible...
So I ask again:
Why should someone who is engaging in a lawful activity , responsibly , be made to give up their rights?
Andy
just because a sanctuary state claims its OK does not mean it is LEGAL

and as we know many sanctuary judges are not following the laws either and letting the crims off the hook
That's what I mean. Some person with a robe says what is law and what it means. Until a robe higher up the chain says something different that is the "new law" and new interpretation of it. It's what scares me the most about gun owners voting in these kind of judges. Elect enough of them and say goodby to gun rights.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top