JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can you take a joke? :D just the right length to use as a cane for when you chop your toe.:s0140:
Here's hoping nothing like that happens! :s0114: I settled on this one due to the length and weight. Should be a great camp tool plus, still be packable for some overnight bushcrafting trips I hope to take in the future.

Here's hoping nothing like that happens! :s0114: I settled on this one due to the length and weight. Should be a great camp tool plus, still be packable for some overnight bushcrafting trips I hope to take in the future.
Whatever you get, if you get something of quality, it won't hurt to have it, even if you decide you need to get something else later.

As pictured, I have at least 4-5 axes/hatchets/etc. of various types. I have three splitters (one conventional, two Fiskars), a full sized axe, the BBA and the Chogan hawks, several lighter/smaller hatchets, a Parang, a Kukri and some other brush cutters/hooks/etc. (IMO not near as useful as the parang).

They each have their pros and cons and it is good to have spares.

oh I try to treat people as friends and joke with them, glad you have a sense of humor. :)

Please read entire post! Looking for a lightweight hiking and camp axe. It needs to be light enough to carry on hikes without being cumbersome and, sturdy enough to do any job short of cutting down trees. Will also double as a camping trip axe to go along with my bushcraft knife. Lets see yours and hear your recommendations.
I like my new age Gerber. It has a synthetic handle to keep the weight down and also a fold out saw in the handle that adds a great deal to the usefulness of it. The saw is long enough to be really useful. With this package you could build cabin.

@HA556 Council Tool is a good choice and should be a quality tool. I was too late to get a recommendation in but if you get bit by the axe bug or want to add another axe to your tool shed with additional capabilities, I highly recommend the Husqvarna Traditional Axe, european version of a boys axe. Large enough to do pretty much everything if needed but yet small enough and light enough for backpacking. Handle is long enough to efficiently use your energy to accomplish tasks and light enough to swing all day long.

Another plus is that Husqvarna axes are made by Hults Bruk. Hults Bruk is another great brand to take a look at with many more options. Memory is a little foggy but Hults Bruk got bought by Gransfors Bruks or it might have been the other way around. Regardless, Hults Bruk and Gransfors Bruk are the best production axes being made currently but you will pay a premium. My most used axe out of a couple dozen is the Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest axe and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a do everything bushcraft/backpacking axe. I have felled, bucked, split, carved and limbed anything and everything with that axe.

Last Edited:
After an entire day of researching, reading reviews and watching YouTube vids, I finally settled on an axe I think will suit all my purposes. I ordered the Council Tool Hudson Bay 2lb camp axe with 18" handle. USA made! :D View attachment 899513
Good choice, I'm glad to see you got a real tool rather than something out of a video game. It will serve you well. And axes, just like guns...there's always just one more. :)

There are so many kinds out there; it's fascinating and can be addictive. I mostly like to hand an old axe or hatchet with a decent handle, then use that. I confess to having a couple of cheap yellow HF hatchets around. For long term use in the woods, I think either the "indestructible one piece of steel" approach - Estwing, or the "light & indefinitely maintainable" approach - tomahawk type handle, with just enough taper to split wood and just enough flat poll to occasionally drive a stake.

I would avoid those artistic and overpriced "tactical" hatchets and the whole family of Fiskars/Gerber "backward" axes & hatchets where the head goes through a plastic handle instead of vice versa; when that handle breaks you are SOL.

The one piece all steel hatchets can and do break - I've seen it happen.

I don't like anything with a very curved handle because it is much harder to use them as a hammer.

I have two Fiskars splitting axes that hold the head with a plastic wrap - they have not broken yet, whereas I have broken wood handled splitting mauls in the past.

Good luck with the Fiskars. I have certainly seen broken tool handles (and broken a few axes and mauls over the years). My point was that it's easy to replace traditional hickory handles.

And I tend to agree that straight handles are better. BTW I would like to see what it took to break an Estwing. They are not my favorite design, but I always gave them points for durability.

Last Edited:
I'm a woodsie not a townie kind of a guy, We heat with wood only. Both my wife and I grew up with wood heat. I have a bunch of different axes, mauls, hatchets, wedges ect. After the chain saw the tools I use the most are an 8 lb maul with a hand forged head from back east somewhere, an axe with a 4lb head and an Estwing Fireside friend for making kindling. You are right the curved handle isn't for hammering I use the maul or a sledge for that. Hammering with an axe can cause the eye to open up. One other thing, I don't pry sideways with the axe or maul I have 2, 3 foot crow/pry bars for that.

@WAYNO mentioned a boys ax. I'm surprised they aren't more popular. Perfect middle of the road chopper. Almost as light as a hatchet, at least one with a useable handle, and capable of doing nearly any job you'd tackle with a full sized ax.
My wife bought a hatchet for me. It's light and easy to to take along, but the handle is too short to allow a good blow. I used to trim boughs around tree stands with one, but found a bow saw the be superior for that.
Whatever head one chooses, I'd strongly support at least a 14" handle. A few extra inches being packed around is a small price to pay for the usefulness of the tool.

A whole bunch of axes come from the factory fairly blunt and or needing the edge profiled with a file and then followed up with a puck and then with use, you'll need to maintain it.
What I'm saying is, don't be scared to lay steel and stone to your edges as the circumstances warrant.

After an entire day of researching, reading reviews and watching YouTube vids, I finally settled on an axe I think will suit all my purposes. I ordered the Council Tool Hudson Bay 2lb camp axe with 18" handle. USA made! :D View attachment 899513
The only 'downside' to the HB, is replacing the handle. BUT, it can and has been done! Double or single bit axe, like shooting, it takes practice and use to obtain a higher level of proficiency. Otherwise it is just a club in your hands! One each of hatchet, single bit and double bit is a good start. Head poundage is a personal choice but it should have the heft needed to get the job done. Shaping the 'cutting' edge depends on the task you do most with it. Even a 'so-so' axe head can become a useful tool, if you do your part.

l0kuvsvab6151.jpg I had to go way back in my shopping
history to try and figure out who made the axe I usually bring with me camping.

Cold Steel Trail Boss. It's 2# and has a hickory handle about 2' long. Good forged steel head. Think I paid something like $20 for it back when I bought it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top