JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use an estwing. It weighs as close to noting as I could want, with a full steel tang to boot. Problem is, because it's so light, there's not a lot of mass to carry through what you may want to chop. Almost seems more at home on a battlefield than in a camp..... I like it all the same

I use an estwing. It weighs as close to noting as I could want, with a full steel tang to boot. Problem is, because it's so light, there's not a lot of mass to carry through what you may want to chop. Almost seems more at home on a battlefield than in a camp..... I like it all the same
This is why I don't like the lighter hatchets - the mass is not enough to do the splitting and chopping tasks I use a hatchet for. So I opt for the "belt axe" which is heavier and has a longer handle.

I just bought the Estwing Fireplace friend, probably not what your looking for but it is my new favorite kindling maker.
You guys cost me a lot of money.

I just went to Amazon, found this Fireplace Friend Splitting Tool, and pressed BUY NOW.

This is why I don't like the lighter hatchets - the mass is not enough to do the splitting and chopping tasks I use a hatchet for. So I opt for the "belt axe" which is heavier and has a longer handle.
I chopped down one 12" hard as hades bull pine with an Estwing hatchet. Once.

Lol, still a great little tool.

May get a little hate over this, I pack around an RMJ Tactical hatchet usually. This one is the Krein Bushcrafter, nice little hatchet. 😉

D6A0ABAE-B6E0-47CA-BF49-05E8346DDF67.jpeg

I carry a Fiskars X7 hatchet. Very light, sharp and pretty much indestructible

This thread took on a lot of rambling non pertinent commentary.
I hope folks stay more on track in my thread.
If they like an ax, I would like specifics as to why they think it is a quality/superior tool, and omit , garage sale finds, and bargain basement items.

Best,
Gart

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany