JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A whole bunch of axes come from the factory fairly blunt and or needing the edge profiled with a file and then followed up with a puck and then with use, you'll need to maintain it.
What I'm saying is, don't be scared to lay steel and stone to your edges as the circumstances warrant.
Yes sir, got that department covered! While no card carrying expert, I am proficient enough to keep a keen edge on my tools. Ole man taught me this when I was knee high to a short frog! :D

thumbnail_IMG_0086.jpg

View attachment 900465I had to go way back in my shopping
history to try and figure out who made the axe I usually bring with me camping.

Cold Steel Trail Boss. It's 2# and has a hickory handle about 2' long. Good forged steel head. Think I paid something like $20 for it back when I bought it.
I like the wide cutting edge on that head.:s0155:

Not meaning to derail your thread but if Oregon can require gun locks then next step is a first aid box for knives and hatchet. :s0140: Buy a knife and you are required to buy bandaids.

You got me looking through my hatchets and it got me to remembering one was stolen out of my truck some years back. Its why I now have more than one.:s0093:

My thoughts are a 20 to 24 Inch handle serves one best 1623080691745.png
Albeit a folding saw will yield way more wood, in hours less time, with a ton of less energy spent. Still, when out for several weeks a sharp axe with leverage is a handy tool for sure.

The only 'downside' to the HB, is replacing the handle. BUT, it can and has been done!
Yeah, I went to their website and looked at replacement handles and they didn't have one for the Hudson Bay. I messaged them expressing my disappointment (I like to have a spare handle) and am waiting on their response to see if they have a recommendation.

House Handle should have hickory replacements. They have been my go to for hickory handles and I am generally pleased with what I receive. I usually pay the extra fee for hand selected. Been a while but I want to say it was $1 or $1.50 per handle for hand selected. They will also send without lacquer and Octagon the handle for a small feed, believe that it is $1.50.

Excellent info and greatly appreciate that!

Also, want to thank all of you who have replied with tips and suggestions to this thread! Pretty much why NWFA is my only go to site anymore!

P.S. - Can't figure out why our resident Mountain Man @Andy54Hawken didn't show up with his belt axe and photos?! (Ribbing you Andy!) :D

Late to the party, but the Plum Brand of Axes are really awesome tools, just the right combo of hardness for good edge retention, while still being pretty easy to maintain! They also sell handles and wedge kits for those who need to replace a handle!
I always keep a Fellers Double Bit Ax and a bucking ( Limbing) Ax handy, never know when your gonna need the extra power, and the small kindling/camp hatchet is really nice to have near the stove! For a good all around camp/hiking/survival tool, Keckler makes an awesome tool head and handle kit, or Iron Forge Tomahawks Piker is a really awesome tool that will last forever if you take care of it!

Late to the party, but the Plum Brand of Axes are really awesome tools, just the right combo of hardness for good edge retention, while still being pretty easy to maintain! They also sell handles and wedge kits for those who need to replace a handle!
I always keep a Fellers Double Bit Ax and a bucking ( Limbing) Ax handy, never know when your gonna need the extra power, and the small kindling/camp hatchet is really nice to have near the stove! For a good all around camp/hiking/survival tool, Keckler makes an awesome tool head and handle kit, or Iron Forge Tomahawks Piker is a really awesome tool that will last forever if you take care of it!
I've got an old Plumb hatchet I need to get a sheath for. Love that little thing.
Edit, two Plumbs. I need sheaths for both. The "big" one is two foot..

20210607_123221.jpg

Last Edited:
P.S. - Can't figure out why our resident Mountain Man @Andy54Hawken didn't show up with his belt axe and photos?! (Ribbing you Andy!) :D
Howdy HA556....
I wuz with Jim Bridger at one of our local rendezvous.
We had some shining times for sure , lots of good shootin' and talkin' guns and history.

I'll post my belt axe and some thoughts up in a bit....:D
Andy

My grandmother gave me her father's axe. Old great grandpa Scarpelli used to have a nice little farm in Walla Walla. I think there is still a Scarpelli Dr. When I received it, the poor thing was just a rusty axe head. I've cleaned it up a bit and gave it a new handle. This one is a US made Collins.

It's not a full sized axe, and it always comes along on the camping trips. Not small enough to hike with, but it packs nicely in the SUV.
IMG_20210607_144705848.jpg

He is on point, hence why i posted, HF and council tool are worth buying.

Im all about re hanging a head. Im all about making it fit my needs

Ok, the Council Tool Hudson Bay showed up today! Very happy with the size and feel! This will probably out last me and go to my son someday! thumbnail_20210614_111728_HDR.jpg thumbnail_20210614_111741_HDR.jpg

@Knobgoblin it really comes down to who the manufacturer is and what period they were made. Some Hudson bay pattern axes were bringing $150 - $200 or more back when I was more active and up on the axe market three or four years ago. When axes went mainstream and got much harder to find for a couple dollars a head, I moved on from the vintage axes unless I stumble upon a good deal. When folks want as much or more than a new Gransfors Bruk, I will just buy the new axe. Not sure if it is still the case but cruiser double bits got through the roof expensive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top