JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Which is why I move to husky most of the times I need a chainsaw I need it for less than five minutes. The stihl's ive had were great saws but after three or four months it usually takes me longer to start it them than I'm gonna use it for. my husky doesn't seem to matter how long you store it for it's always less than five pulls. Stihl guys don't get mad but as I get older and older pull starts and kickstarters are getting harder and harder
I have a Stihl MS461. Had it for about 10 years IIRC. Use it to cut several cords of wood most years. No starting problems, although it is a bit of a beast. I probably should have gotten something about half the size - I prefer the Echo 3510 I got in a trade for weight/size, but it isn't as reliable (probably needs a bit of tuning) and I am not sure how long it will last - it is a cheap saw.

I will probably get Stihl battery saw to carry in an RV so I don't have to mess with or worry about fuel (although I will probably have a gas genset).

I have a Stihl MS461. Had it for about 10 years IIRC. Use it to cut several cords of wood most years. No starting problems, although it is a bit of a beast. I probably should have gotten something about half the size - I prefer the Echo 3510 I got in a trade for weight/size, but it isn't as reliable (probably needs a bit of tuning) and I am not sure how long it will last - it is a cheap saw.

I will probably get Stihl battery saw to carry in an RV so I don't have to mess with or worry about fuel (although I will probably have a gas genset).
I've got more than my share of time behind a MS 440 on a chainsaw mill, Big saws have their place but they take a man to run all day. My little MS 170 you can run that all day and the only thing that gets tired is you're back and that's from bending over to cut Because the bars so short.

Which is why I move to husky most of the times I need a chainsaw I need it for less than five minutes. The stihl's ive had were great saws but after three or four months it usually takes me longer to start it them than I'm gonna use it for. my husky doesn't seem to matter how long you store it for it's always less than five pulls. Stihl guys don't get mad but as I get older and older pull starts and kickstarters are getting harder and harder
The BLM had an 18" Husky in every woods work truck. We had to be trained and certified to operate them. But if we had to use one we couldn't without an observer. Or as I and others did, just don't get hurt.

I've got more than my share of time behind a MS 440 on a chainsaw mill, Big saws have their place but they take a man to run all day. My little MS 170 you can run that all day and the only thing that gets tired is you're back and that's from bending over to cut Because the bars so short.
My 461 cuts fast and doesn't bog down like the little Echo, but it is heavy and I have a bad back/heart/lungs, so it wears me out faster - OTOH, it cuts faster - so it is kind of a wash when cutting most firewood. I do use the Echo for pruning and such, whereas the Stihl is way too heavy to that.

My 461 cuts fast and doesn't bog down like the little Echo, but it is heavy and I have a bad back/heart/lungs, so it wears me out faster - OTOH, it cuts faster - so it is kind of a wash when cutting most firewood. I do use the Echo for pruning and such, whereas the Stihl is way too heavy to that.
I run a tank of fuel thru my 362 then sit down for a bit. When rested I split and load what's cut. Rest up again and if needed wash, rinse and repeat. I used to do 2 loads in my full size pick up a day. Now I'm happy with just one.

I run a tank of fuel thru my 362 then sit down for a bit. When rested I split and load what's cut. Rest up again and if needed wash, rinse and repeat. I used to do 2 loads in my full size pick up a day. Now I'm happy with just one.
I am still recovering from finishing up my cutting before the rains - limping around. But at least I have a bunch of dry firewood under cover, and I didn't have to use any until late October. Last year I had to start using firewood in early October. I only had two cords and some of that was wet - it only lasted into January. This week it is cold and I am burning more wood - but I hope it will last thru February.

I am still recovering from finishing up my cutting before the rains - limping around. But at least I have a bunch of dry firewood under cover, and I didn't have to use any until late October. Last year I had to start using firewood in early October. I only had two cords and some of that was wet - it only lasted into January. This week it is cold and I am burning more wood - but I hope it will last thru February.
I got the last of mine covered the day before the rains hit. We've been keeping the fire going non stop for a week or so now but we've got plenty so no worries. I'll be getting after next years wood once I burn one of my 3 stacks so I've got a place to stack it for seasoning.

I got the last of mine covered the day before the rains hit.
Yeah, I threw my unsplit rounds into the shop and finished just as it was starting to sprinkle a little.

We've been keeping the fire going non stop for a week or so now but we've got plenty so no worries.
I startup a fire sometime in the morning and usually keep it going during the day to get the house temps up into the 60s. Then let it burn out before going to bed. Then temps drop below 60 overnight, but that is ok as I sleep fine with those temps as long as they stay above 50*.

I'll be getting after next years wood once I burn one of my 3 stacks so I've got a place to stack it for seasoning.
Most of my logs are on my back acreage. Once it rains for a week or so steady, I can't get back there because the dirt road is too muddy - or rather, I would not be able to get out. So I have what I have. I will probably go split the rounds in the shop around January, or maybe earlier if I can time my chiro/massage along with a dry spell like this week. Right now I have to take muscle relaxants and painkillers to sleep.

Winkler tomahawk combat axe, its awesome

20220912_121852.jpg 20220912_121839.jpg

You've got the 16 inch bar model that preceded my MS-180C. Mine has the Easy2Start starter on it. It has two springs, one that retracts the rope, but another that actually turns the engine over. Makes it easier to start. I believe you can get these on other sizes. Unfortunately, my 290 doesn't have it.

as I get older and older pull starts
See comment above re. starters.

I forgot my tomahawk:

PB110207.JPG

While I was down rummaging around for the tomahawk, I ran across this Hart hammer. Knowing that I kinda collect hammers (probably have near 200), my grandson brought it over to me. He said, "I found this in the street, someone lost it." I told him it probably wasn't "lost," exactly. Anyway, I kept it, it might have uses breaking up concrete or similar tasks. I called the Hart company to see if they would replace it under warranty and they said yes, but i'd have to pay return shipping. I didn't return it.
PB110208.JPG

My dad bought a box a hammers at a police auction around 1960. I still have a few of them. One is a ball pein with a fair mushroom on the bell of the head, but this Hart is the worst I've ever seen.
PB110209.JPG

Think of the expended human energy that mushroomed head represents. At some point, the object is no longer a hammer, it's a club.

You've got the 16 inch bar model that preceded my MS-180C. Mine has the Easy2Start starter on it. It has two springs, one that retracts the rope, but another that actually turns the engine over. Makes it easier to start. I believe you can get these on other sizes. Unfortunately, my 290 doesn't have it.

See comment above re. starters.
My 461 has the compression release button. If I forget to use it each time I pull the cord, it about rips my fingers off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top