JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be hiking in the Bighorn mountains in August with my 3yo German Shepherd Dog. From what I've researched, while it's remotely possibly there's a grizzly in the Bighorn mountains, it's very unlikely. However, there are black bears and when I hiked last June, I saw tons of bear scat.

There's a million bear sprays on the market. Anyone care to recommend a particular brand or anything I should avoid?

I'm going to be hiking in the Bighorn mountains in August with my 3yo German Shepherd Dog. From what I've researched, while it's remotely possibly there's a grizzly in the Bighorn mountains, it's very unlikely. However, there are black bears and when I hiked last June, I saw tons of bear scat.

There's a million bear sprays on the market. Anyone care to recommend a particular brand or anything I should avoid?
From what I understand, the one that's accessible to you is the best one.

1683576080149.png

1683575963651.png

Check out the "UDAP pepper power" line of sprays. Read their FAQs section. I had and saw others carrying their bear spray while hiking in Glacier National Park. Not saying it's any better but seemed to be popular.

Is this "bear spray" used like mosquito spray? Spray your arms and clothing. Spray your hands and wipe on your face? Spray your kids?

:)

Bruce

I grew up in the area, the likelihood of running into a bear is pretty slim, and even slimmer for grizzly. It's not Jackson/Teton/Yellowstone and last I knew there was little evidence of grizzlies in the bighorns (a couple tracks here and there but nothing showing established grizzlies). You'd be more likely to run into black bears, and they are fairly timid, not likely to attack to you and are probably more scared of you than you are of them. A blast from any standard bear spray or a round fired into ground will dissuade most black bears.

I grew up in the area, the likelihood of running into a bear is pretty slim, and even slimmer for grizzly. It's not Jackson/Teton/Yellowstone and last I knew there was little evidence of grizzlies in the bighorns (a couple tracks here and there but nothing showing established grizzlies). You'd be more likely to run into black bears, and they are fairly timid, not likely to attack to you and are probably more scared of you than you are of them. A blast from any standard bear spray or a round fired into ground will dissuade most black bears.
Thanks. There is a cool animated map in this artcle showing grizzly population growth from Yellowstone but they're still a ways away from the Bighorns.

I've run into black bears when I lived in Michigan and also on some logging roads in Montana and agree that as long as you're not a knucklehead or standing between mama and cubs, they're not a problem.

The only wildcard here is my dog. She won't run or chase after a bear but may bark or have a startled reaction, and she'll definitely hackle up. I think we'll be fine (otherwise I wouldn't go!) but just want to have all my options.

To my knowledge, an Oregon CHL is not valid for concealed carry in Wyoming. I also don't own anything that would stop a bear.

Thanks. There is a cool animated map in this artcle showing grizzly population growth from Yellowstone but they're still a ways away from the Bighorns.

I've run into black bears when I lived in Michigan and also on some logging roads in Montana and agree that as long as you're not a knucklehead or standing between mama and cubs, they're not a problem.

The only wildcard here is my dog. She won't run or chase after a bear but may bark or have a startled reaction, and she'll definitely hackle up. I think we'll be fine (otherwise I wouldn't go!) but just want to have all my options.

To my knowledge, an Oregon CHL is not valid for concealed carry in Wyoming. I also don't own anything that would stop a bear.
I saw a dude open carrying at Yellowstone in one of the buildings, I told him that's a HUGE federal crime.

Does Wyoming allow permitless carry? Yes. As of July 1, 2021, permitless concealed carry is legal for any legal resident of the U.S. who is 21 years old or older, and who may lawfully possess a firearm.

I also don't own anything that would stop a bear.
I'm sure you do. Read about Phil Shoemaker: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

Bullet construction matters more than the chambering.

Several rounds of hard cast 9mm put in the right place in the right amount of time will be just as, if not more effective than a 10mm you can't hit the broadside of the sky with. This is coming from a HUGE 10mm fan, FWIW.

Does Wyoming allow permitless carry? Yes. As of July 1, 2021, permitless concealed carry is legal for any legal resident of the U.S. who is 21 years old or older, and who may lawfully possess a firearm.
Can you share the link?

According to the NRA ILA, Wyoming does not recognize Oregon permits (and vice-versa)

However, under "Permit to Carry" on their Wyoming page, the NRA ILA says "No*" and the asterisk says "Effective July 1, 2021, Wyoming's amended permitless carry law takes effect and allows permitless carry by qualified residents and nonresidents of the state."

It's that "qualified" part...which I think means "we don't issue permits, and you don't need to carry a permit, but the rules are otherwise the same". I base that on this page from the State of Wyoming which says:

"Under our current law, if you are a permit holder from another state, if your permit is valid statewide and your state recognizes (or honors) Wyoming permits, you can carry a concealed firearm in Wyoming."

Can you share the link?

According to the NRA ILA, Wyoming does not recognize Oregon permits (and vice-versa)

However, under "Permit to Carry" on their Wyoming page, the NRA ILA says "No*" and the asterisk says "Effective July 1, 2021, Wyoming's amended permitless carry law takes effect and allows permitless carry by qualified residents and nonresidents of the state."

It's that "qualified" part...which I think means "we don't issue permits, and you don't need to carry a permit, but the rules are otherwise the same". I base that on this page from the State of Wyoming which says:

"Under our current law, if you are a permit holder from another state, if your permit is valid statewide and your state recognizes (or honors) Wyoming permits, you can carry a concealed firearm in Wyoming."

Screenshot_20230509_170054_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last Edited:
Can you share the link?

https://wyoleg.gov/2021/Summaries/HB0116.pdf
It passed in 2021

Enrolled Act No.: HEA No. 0070
Chapter No.: 113
Prime Sponsor: Wharff
Catch Title: Concealed carry-residency requirement-2.
Subject: Removing the state residency requirement for concealed carry.
Summary/Major Elements:
 Under current law a person may carry a firearm in a concealed manner without a permit if the
person meets certain requirements.
 One of the requirements is that the person has been a resident of Wyoming for six (6) months
(with certain exceptions).
 This act removes the Wyoming residency requirement for persons who are residents of the
United States and meet the other requirements of current law. The requirements are that a
person must:
o Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
o Not suffer from a physical infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a firearm;
o Not be ineligible to possess a firearm due to crimes listed in 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or W.S.
6-8-102;
o Not have been convicted of specified crimes or been committed to a state or federal facility
for certain controlled substance matters for a specified period;
o Not be chronically or habitually impaired by alcoholic liquor and malt beverages;
o Not currently be adjudicated to be legally incompetent; and
o Not have been committed to a mental institution

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews