JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please read entire post! Looking for a lightweight hiking and camp axe. It needs to be light enough to carry on hikes without being cumbersome and, sturdy enough to do any job short of cutting down trees. Will also double as a camping trip axe to go along with my bushcraft knife. Lets see yours and hear your recommendations.

I can't do pictures but I have been going to garage sales and buying hatchet with broken handles then replace the handle. New hatchet run pretty expensive for a good one but if a man has to have new then there are some good brands at Blade HQ .

Craigs list Corvallis has pictures of stuff in garage sales.

This is the one that I prefer:

23c_new_1_2048x.jpg

The British Belt Axe.

I got mine from the Ragweed Forge but I noticed they stopped carrying it after Ragnar died. Others do seem to carry it though.

I like it as the best compromise for weight and capabilities. I have lighter smaller hatchets, but they are too light and small. I have a CRKT Chogan, but it is too heavy for carrying around (albeit, more capable of splitting rounds). The Chogan is quite capable, just significantly heavier.

The BBA and the Chogan both have round (more or less) shafts, so easier to fashion a replacement handle if it breaks while in the woods. Both have hammer pommels which is useful. Cold Steel has several similar Hawks, but I prefer the BBA.

YMMV

I pick heads... everywhere. Garage sales, swap meets, ebay, work of mouth. I like rust stuff, make it shinny, hand a handle, and it off to a new home. Its a good hobby to have

20200808_122659.jpg 20210511_175750.jpg

Granfors makes some small axes too if you prefer a more conventional style of handle and head - less of the hawk style and probably more useful. I prefer round shafts on my small hatchet sized axes and longer too. I got three of the BBAs and wrapped them all in Titan cord (paracord with wire, fishing line and jute besides the typical paracord strands) - that gives me a better grip and some protection of the shaft. I gave one each to my kids and kept one for myself.

After years of searching I ended up with a balance between weight and sharp. Lighter the weight the sharper i want the axe. Add a good leather blade cover and I am good to go. :s0093:

I have quite a fetish for hatchets and boys axes. In the shed and in the truck, they are often used.

Neither price, appearance or features dictate what axes or hatchets are my favorite. in fact, my favorite might well be the cheapo harbor freight hatchet, with the indestructo plastic handle.
96231_W3.jpg

A boys axe is likely my handiest all-purpose small axe.
22BR_1_1_3.jpg

The CRKT Chogan is also multiple purpose and useful. There's one in the back seat of my pickup.
81a+mlDBSmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Expensive, and advertised to be the end-all of survival hatchets and/or multi-tools, I've found the Woodsmans Pal to be the least usable in my arsenal of swinging cutters, although one lives in my pickup also.
WP-White-600x429.jpg

A small Estwing, and a small Gerber are easily accessible in my shed for cutting kindling for my fire pit, but I've discovered after just a little use, I hang them back up and reach for the Harbor Freight hatchet at the top of my list.:s0166:
Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 10-41-46 Amazon com Estwing Sportsman's Axe - 12 Camping Hatchet with...png Resource_GerberAmericas_31-002648.jpg

We talking axe, like actual full length handle axe, or hatchet?

Full length, Gerber/Fiskers makes plenty of light weight axes. Good steel, dull from factory but holds good edges.
resource_gerberamericas_31-002651.ashx
Estwing long handle is a good axe.
QKRhWKExjbqf-cFaKtDR4zNGXHi4hClSzI2JfoaBzWtcX692le.jpg Hatchet sized. All of the above still would be good recommendations.

If you want tactical Gerber has a really cool axe/multi tool thingy.
ge30-000715$01-gerber-ge30-000715-01.jpg
El cheapo, I've got a $20 Amazon special that I've been using lately. It's more of a hatchet size. I'm fairly certain it's still a Gerber just labeled Firebird.
41dUmrAm%2BqL._AC_SY780_.jpg

I have often carried my vintage Case Knife/hatchet kit but mostly stopped due to its rarity and value.

A few years ago I turned down a trade offer of a 'good' condition pre 64 Mod 94 Winchester for it at a gun show.

It's kind of a unique and practical idea but maybe was ahead of its time. If anyone is currently offering something similar It might be worth a look.

831772-b0ebcf566d2a29f04b54ef1ce181e9af.jpg 831774-3afb2a7dcae1858f41370e3651cace93.jpg

Last Edited:
Neither price, appearance or features dictate what axes or hatchets are my favorite. in fact, my favorite might well be the cheapo harbor freight hatchet, with the indestructo plastic handle.
View attachment 899204
I highly recommend the HF hatchet. I use mine to chop roots and thinks i really ahould not be chopping on but I am. For the price i own a few

I've seen it called both but, definitely don't want to hike with a full length! :s0114:
Just don't go too small. Some hatchets don't have much for a handle and in my opinion they are useless for anything larger than twigs and or hammering in stakes.

My memory is getting spotting I think! Seems I remember someone at one time recommending the Husqvarna in another thread but again, not sure. Anyone use that one?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top