JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are you running this year as your camp axe or hatchet?

15131E0F-5E17-4115-B055-B701ACB80785.jpeg

Last Edited:
Well lessee....

I axed da wifey to make me bacon and eggs.

Then later I axed her to get me a beer.

Then much much later I axed her to... well, you know...

After using a buddies, I picked up a Estwing Long Handle Camper's Axe to keep in the SxS. This thing is super sharp, durable and compact enough without being too compact.

Of course I also carry a 16" Dewalt 60v chainsaw on the SxS also.

Both have come in super handy.

My ESTWING AXE with the LINK above (Made in the USA.) is several years old and it has a leather sheath.

(I keep this one above ^^^ in my home too. It goes from inside of my home, not in the garage, to outside camping/traveling/hiking too.)

I have a duplicate version of my husband's ESTWING AXE with a longer handle and more 'weight to it'.

My SOG brand 'hawks have been staying home lately.

He has several axes and tools for the woods/wilderness and for when he goes hunting on a super large private ranch (His friend's place.) and in other hunting/hiking areas.

I will most likely get one more axe too.

My KA-BAR military (Made in New York!) FIXED BLADE knives go with me (One or two of a few of mine.) and my stand by favorite BUCK FIXED BLADE KNIFE is ALWAYS with me in a purse, pocket, briefcase, fanny pack, etc.

BUCK 113 RANGER SKINNER KNIFE

MY 113 has the walnut handle and a leather sheath. It is several years old. IT is a stand by all time favorite knife of mine since I NO longer use folding - pocket knives. I have not used them in years! My husband has them and uses them - all of them are CLASSICS.

ALL of my Ka-Bar military knives - fixed blade ONLY are MADE IN NEW YORK.

ALL of my BUCK knives - fixed blade ONLY and the ones that I gifted to my husband - my formerly owned BUCK folding/pocket knives are MADE IN IDAHO.

Several knives and other tools go with us on a trip and NOT just MY Ka-Bar, Buck, etc. knives but we do NOT TAKE all of them with us!

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
I burn wood to heat with at times so I have several axes and hatchet. Mostly ones I picked up at garage sales that needed new handles. Wood heat warms you up several times before you ever build a fire. :D

Estwing hatchet
Bow saw
I used to use several bow saws a lot back east for some jobs. I used another hand tool type of SAW but I can't think of the proper name now.

HUGE LILAC BUSHES that grew to the second floor, yews, all types of other bushes and trees - softwood and hardwood. Etc.!

I could NOT safely use and handle chain saws at all. My late husband used them.

My MT husband and I have several tools but NOTHING like what I had for a larger piece of property back east even if I only owned ONE ACRE back in the middle of farm land and woods close to the lake.

I did have and USE one specific saw. I bought it for myself too!

It was my former SEARS SAWS ALL (Electric cord. I used an extension cord if needed too.) with several types of blades for various jobs. The one BLADE attachment that I used outdoors especially on ONE HUGE COLORADO BLUE SPRUCE TREE had the pruning/log cutting blade.

I trimmed the LOWER BOTTOM branches one day so many feet UP from the ground so that I could mow UNDER IT with a push mower OR a riding tractor of mine. We had 2 of those tractors and a few push mowers. I had to stand on a ladder to do some work too. We had a third tractor but it was not for mowing - an OLD 1942 (?) Ford tractor that my late husband bought and fixed up. Blade, post hole digger, etc. and he painted it like the OLD original model too.

OH my! What a JOB and I did it all by myself one LONG DAY.

I had my own CHIP - MULCHER thing too. But with 2 jobs - I called in my neighbor who did PROFESSIONAL WORK and he came in and MULCHED like crazy. I gave him that BUNCH OF MULCH too. I kept some other mulch of mine for some other outdoor deal on our land back east.

He could not believe what little old me did in one day. PLUS I was so tired - I could hardly LIFT/MOVE/PUSH all of those heavy limbs so I cut them up too. I should have HIRED IT ALL OUT but my late husband and I hardly EVER hired out any job. We just did it ourselves. Alone, together or with another set of arms with a CLOSE FRIEND. We always helped them but we rarely ASKED FOR HELP ever in any matter.

That one specific tree (CO blue spruce tree.) out of ALL of my MANY plantings was planted not as a seedling but as a 1.5 foot tall Christmas tree from a Christmas tree farm. It was not on the wind break sides of my one acre but all by itself. I have pictures of it (Early 70's.) with my older sister running around it with my old, late German Shepherd female puppy. The house was built but not totally finished on the second floor. Brick laid, etc. and we were living in it.

ADDED MORE BELOW:

When my late husband came home from work and saw what I had cut and trimmed (THAT CO blue spruce tree.) all by myself, he was shocked too.

I did LEAN too far one way on the ladder and hung on to some branches but I only did that ONE TIME! LOL

I did not fall off of the 6 feet (?) tall ladder and I moved the LADDER if only for a few inches AFTER that dumb @@@ idea of MINE where I thought that I could REACH one branch without moving the ladder.

I will ADMIT that I was stupid there for sure. BUT I grabbed onto the branches - did not fall and STEADIED my regular house LADDER and NOT the other 2 ladders that we owned which I would NEVER EVER CLIMB UP ON.

I used other cutting tools too. SHEARS and so forth. BUT the really BIG and heavier branches could NOT be cut by me using ONLY a bow saw or hand held saws, pruning shears, etc. I did NOT have the strength to do that! THIS WAS LONG BEFORE MY BROKEN ARM, screwed up body landing and BAD FALL ACCIDENT.

BUT that HEAVY DUTY SEARS SAWS ALL worked like a champ. IT TOOK A LICKING and KEPT ON TICKING!

The REAL PAIN in the @@@ was not just the cutting/trimming BUT getting UP and DOWN from the ladder to MOVE all of the branches away so I could CUT SOME MORE. If I left it there in one PILE - I could not MOVE THE LADDER all around that tree in one big circle of cutting.

Cate

Last Edited:
@Nosferatu

Hello,

Where did you buy this axe?

In person or did you have to special order it in?

Thank you!

Cate
Sorry, I don't remember. I got it online from someplace in Canada as I couldn't find anyone in the US that carried them at the time. They seem to be more regularly available from various online retailers now though.

Just one tip if you do get one; don't buy the mask that Hults Bruk makes and recommends for it. It doesn't fit well at all. Go to Etsy and buy a handmade leather mask. There are a few sellers that make some good ones.

1668016676347.png

It's been a great axe so far and takes a nice edge. I like to keep mine a bit sharper than most people do. It's done some serious work on our MT property.

Sorry, I don't remember. I got it online from someplace in Canada as I couldn't find anyone in the US that carried them at the time. They seem to be more regularly available from various online retailers now though.

Just one tip if you do get one; don't buy the mask that Hults Bruk makes and recommends for it. It doesn't fit well at all. Go to Etsy and buy a handmade leather mask. There are a few sellers that make some good ones.

View attachment 1307931

It's been a great axe so far and takes a nice edge. I like to keep mine a bit sharper than most people do. It's done some serious work on our MT property.
I went with Klein covers.. they'll last a lifetime and are $20.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top