JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no use for suppressors either.

Understood. TBH I think it can be seen like a bit of a novelty to some. That being said I'm at a point with my firearms that if I stopped buying guns that I had a specific real world need for I would have stopped buying guns a long time ago, so I can see how a suppressed 300 BO can be a fun gun to shoot and cool conversation piece.

When it was discovered that the 5.56 wasn't up to the task, they told us "well, it takes more people to car for a wounded individual than a dead one". The problem with that idea is, since the 5.56 was adopted, we haven't fought an enemy that gives a rat's adz for human life.
It's fine for varmints, punching paper and such, but no way would I ever rely on one for a battle weapon.
I think it's been killing quite a few people in war. Or at least that's what I've been told.

The subsonic rounds are also stupid quiet when suppressed
That's not actually my experience so far but maybe out of a longer BBL. Mine is a 10 inch AR and without a silencer that's going to be well over 150, probably over 160 db. Subtract 35 or 40 for the can and it's still pretty frickin' loud, just not loud for a gun.

That's not actually my experience so far but maybe out of a longer BBL. Mine is a 10 inch AR and without a silencer that's going to be well over 150, probably over 160 db. Subtract 35 or 40 for the can and it's still pretty frickin' loud, just not loud for a gun.

Oh yea its still pretty loud, but one of the quieter firearms I've heard. That being said I imagine most guys who get it really quiet are loading some powderpuff subsonic loads to minimize the sound as much as possible for effect.

Of course I have a 10.5" AR Pistol in 5.56 that really barks, so when I hear a suppressed 300 BO shooting subsonic it sounds like a whisper lol

The 5.56 is excellent at tissue damage in non-FMJ formats.. and it seems some types like the black tip M995 AP with tungsten cores are able to penetrate NIJ Level IV ceramics at close ranges (15 yards or so?) Whereas the steel core AP2 .30-06 is stopped once by that armor level. Not totally sure if the tungsten 7.62x51 black tips are just as brutal?
On the other hand... 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 Rem SPCII are also quite good at taking deer sized game animals down, and performs far better from shorter barrels than the 5.56.

That's not actually my experience so far but maybe out of a longer BBL.
Mine either, with typical supersonic rifle ammo.

I do not own a suppressor but have shot, and been around a few being shot, and I still had to wear earmuffs so what is the point? Heck I am loading .30-30 ammo that is quieter unsuppressed than some of the suppressed guns I have been around.

I agree with the 'novelty' description of suppressors considering nearly everyone I know who has one (or more) do not require them for any 'professional' reasons so I guess if one feels the need to spend what it takes to own one then I guess its a harmless addiction.

I will admit however having shot a couple .22 suppressed guns I can see the practicality of them in limited circumstances for pest control in certain environments and conditions.

I once shot a Ruger 'Mark' .22 pistol with an integrated barrel suppressor and it was rather interesting!

I have no use for suppressors either.
Shhh....

C270001B-4F36-4B96-BA10-39CDAFFE5036.jpeg

I do not own a suppressor but have shot, and been around a few being shot, and I still had to wear earmuffs so what is the point?
The reduction due to the silencer is about the same as the reduction due to earpro, theoretically. I've shot mine without earpro outdoors in the wide open - it's not bad but it's not silent either, by a long shot. Sounds about like what you'd expect - a gunshot nearby while wearing earpro. You're going to notice it.

I bet a 22lr in a rifle, with a silencer would get close to hollywood quiet though.

As to why bother - this is my nightstand gun - if I ever actually need to use it, I'd like to not actually perma-deafen my family.

I bet a 22lr in a rifle, with a silencer would get close to hollywood quiet though.
The Ruger pistol I shot was 'Hollywood' quiet - but had a much different sound than in the movies but if I did not know it was a gun being fired and only heard the sound I would never guess it to be a gun at all.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top