JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've carried a Commander size 1911 for many years and have been quite happy with it. But recently the weight has been bothering me a lot.

A few months back I shot a friends Glock 30 and was very impressed with it. It was controllable, comfortable to shoot and it just felt pretty good.
I also really liked the higher capacity and the fact that it takes G21 thirteen round mags as well. Eleven or Fourteen rounds of .45ACP without a reload has a certain appeal.

So last week I made the decision to go with the Glock 30 for EDC. I ordered two G21 mags and two AG mag extensions for them and will carry those when I pack a mag pouch.

I'm carrying it in a Bladetech Revolution paddle holster.

Anyway, it's a solid shooter and so far, I'm liking it a bunch.

I finally went with Glocks too, although not exclusively (at least not yet). I got a G30 too and it is definitely nice and I shoot it very well. I am selling it, however, to pay for the G30SF I just bought which has a grip more like my G36 and it also will take my 36 slide which makes it basically into a 30S. I was shooting it last night and loving it.

My first pistol was not a Glock. I did not get my 1st glock until 4-5 years after I started shooting a lot and investing in guns. Once I got the 1st one I realized Glock is pretty hard to beat. I'm not trying to start a war between 1911 and Glocks, I am just expressing the opinion that they are one of the best pistols on the market for price and quantity made. I made my switch to all Glock all 9mm last year. Other than 2 pistols in 22 and the Glock 20 I had to have. The rest are Glock 9mm. It makes for easier magazine storage, and simplifies a lot of things. I am even looking into a TNW Aero rifle that accepts Glock 9mm mags. May have to get 2 if I like the rifle. Just simplify my whole collection maybe, if I wasn't already AR heavy...

Yeah, I still love 1911's and will likely always have at least one. They are just special somehow. However, the G30 is just easier to carry for me and the larger ammo capacity clinches the deal.

Lets see if I understand correctly... You going from a Commander 1911 (I assume lightweight or Kimber Pro Carry that weighs 28 oz empty) to a Glock which weighs 24 oz empty but can hold another 5 round of 45 ACP which weigh another 3.75 oz on top of the 9 rounds both firearms will hold...so they will be very close to the same weight, but the Glock will be .35" wider on the slide alone.

I have no problem with wanting to change carry guns based on capacity...but you are saying weight is the issue and capacity is just a bonus.

If you went with a M&P9 it would only weigh 35 oz loaded with 18 rounds vs 37 oz for the Glock 30 loaded with 14 rounds.

If weight is truely the issue... are you using a quality gun belt and holster? A good belt realy help distribute the weight and helps with carrying a heavy pistol all day.

Which part of Jefferson are you in? I happend to be right in the middle (outside of Medford)

Lets see if I understand correctly... You going from a Commander 1911 (I assume lightweight or Kimber Pro Carry that weighs 28 oz empty) to a Glock which weighs 24 oz empty but can hold another 5 round of 45 ACP which weigh another 3.75 oz on top of the 9 rounds both firearms will hold...so they will be very close to the same weight, but the Glock will be .35" wider on the slide alone.

I have no problem with wanting to change carry guns based on capacity...but you are saying weight is the issue and capacity is just a bonus.

You're wasting your time, once they go Glock they lose any ability to rationalize.

I tried a Block once... I thought having a 9mm blaster would be fun. I couldn't get past the 2x4 grip and mushy trigger...so it was traded in and replaced with a M&P and it's trigger replace with Apex FSS which is better than stock but not as good as my factory 3.75lbs triggers on my 1911's. I'll live with the 8+1 of 45ACP (or 10mm) which ever I'm carrying that day and a spare mag... If I do need more than that my bad day has really gone down hill to a really bad day:eek:

This has been a dilemma for me for many years, choosing between my Glock 19 and my Dan Wesson CCO (lightweight, commander slide on an officer frame). For the past two years I've been carrying the 1911. I think about switching to the Glock a couple times per month, but then I see the 1911 on the table with those beautiful grips, can't take my eyes off it, and forget about it for a couple more weeks :)

I know the weights are about the same, but it feels lighter to carry. I dunno', but it does and as I said, I like the larger capacity.

I know the weights are about the same, but it feels lighter to carry. I dunno', but it does and as I said, I like the larger capacity.
Could it be you have a better holster for the Glock? Maybe it spreads the weight out more across your belt? Weight is weight, it all in how its carried and distributed. I understand there is a downside to having more ammo in the pistol and spare mag...which is why I have thought about the 9 round mags for my 10mm just to have one more round in the pistol.

I have a 1911, a real one made in 1923, by Colt. Heavy, big.
In a GI holster on my belt it felt natural. Defenite fight reducer.
Never fit IWB, and OWB was a biggish buldge. Walked funny.
G27, IWB, nice ride in a crossbreed. Foreget it's even there.

The Crossbreed Supertuck is hands down my favorite holster. I won't sell my $200 Milt Sparks holsters, and I still wear their belt, but they haven't seen daylight in four years.

GOG, I have carried a G29 for the last 3 years. They are fat, but I found a holster maker in Ashland that is excellent and he made this IWB for me .
It is much better now because I had a soft holsterIWB previously. The kydex feels more streamline. Accelerated-Solutions, made in Jefferson , even for transplant Jeffersonians lol, just funning …….check them out Michael is a real stand up guy all about customer service and satisfaction.

If you are inerested in a pinky supported base plate, PM me and I'll send you one to try or we can meet, I'm a touch North of the Rougue Vally. I ran them for a while and I actually shoot better without them and the pistol conceals better without them.[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am amused because I did the exact opposite! I used to carry a Glock 30SF until I was at West Coast Armory and saw a 19 slide blow off. I then found a Colt 1911 CCO Talo lightweight which has been my carry ever since. The weight is close but the Talo is a couple ounces more... You guys can have all the plastic guns, they aren't for me...
If I wanted more capacity I would go with a Sig 226, 229 or the CZ 75.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews