JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure what the obvious reasons are.
Well, if you are very new to shooting handguns, a 1911 is not going to instill much confidence. As well, when you are discussing the different Carry Conditions as set forth by Saint Cooper, it gets quite confusing for neophytes. Since this guy had never shot anything other than 22 pistols before meeting me, I felt I at least owed him the opportunity to get his feet wet. Bottom line, he is buying one handgun for home defense. Might as well be something he feels he can handle proficiently.

Hello All

I am in the market for my first 9mm semi auto which I will be using as an EDC and Home defense.

I have zeroed in on 3 but i am not able to decide:

1. Sig P365XL - 10+1, wilson combat grip, romeo red dot
2. Sig P320 xcarry - 10+1, romeo red dot
3. Sig P320 xcompact - 10+1, red dot.

I have watched numerous youtube videos but the more I watch the more I get confused. I have shot P365xl at my local range and I like the size, I still have to shoot a rental p320 compact. The range does not have xcompact or xcarry.

Any insights on which one should I go with? Thanks in Advance.
Greetings:

I have carried a 365XL for about three years. Both urban and rural environments. I have used it for threat deterrence a few times.

I recommend you consider a 365XL with manual safety and pass on the upgraded grip and red dot.

Because I am in both Oregon and Washington, I use a 12 round magazine. While I have never had to use a full magazine in the field, the added weight results in a bit more stability and less "snap".

Having a manual safety is beneficial because I carry the gun with a round in the chamber. I don't always use a holster so the manual safety helps limit the risk of an accidental discharge.

I have used red dots on pistols and long guns. If you are in a stressed situation and have become reliant on a red dot, consider the time needed to turn it on. If you will be carrying the weapon, I believe there is a high probability of snagging it on clothing. You also need to consider the problem of a dead battery.

Hope this helps.

Most modern dot sights are "shake awake" which turns itself on. Mine stays on the whole time it is being carried, and shuts off when sitting in the safe. The battery lasts at least six months.

All the decent micro dots have angled sides so shirts slide over them without any snagging.

Most modern dot sights are "shake awake" which turns itself on. Mine stays on the whole time it is being carried, and shuts off when sitting in the safe. The battery lasts at least six months.

All the decent micro dots have angled sides so shirts slide over them without any snagging.
So your red dot is woke? :s0140:

I'm at almost a year with my Halosun battery on the P365. It's a quick pickup for older eyes, but does require practice to get accustomed to "finding the dot". Something that can be done in the living room with an empty firearm.

... but does require practice to get accustomed to "finding the dot". Something that can be done in the living room with an empty firearm.
Totally agree. It takes young eyes 1/2 second to focus on the front sight (if you do that I mean). For red dot it takes lots of practice to have same presentation every time so that the dot is in the window and ideally exactly where you are looking. And like you say that presentation practice can be done in the living room.

Personally I use the mike seeklander and Rob latheam method of aggressive stance and aggressively present the gun (sort of punch it out there strongly) as if it were a real SD (or competition) situation. Then the presentation is natural or instinctive, not at all slow, relaxed, or calculated.

A brief blurb from seeklander,
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/YFT-qExnVOs?si=DUyMokeI_vMApXYV

skip over the Wilson combat sales pitch at the end.

View: https://youtu.be/fqh2von8P0w?si=uHOFeTQP1-l2zOSa

Last Edited:
I know lots of people that carry the 365, shoot it well, and shoot it often. If it was offered in CA I might shoot one too. They have good aftermarket support, there are lots of good holsters out there for them. Its about the same size as the Shield I can get here in CA.
Ask and you shall receive.

I forgot to add it's big brother is CA approved too.

I cant afford the 365. But I got a Taurus GX4 that I picked up along the way. After firing it close to 3,000 rounds, it turned to a very good result and decision. Besides its pretty accurate for its class, its reliable, compact and it only weights 22.6 ounce loaded 12 on a 13 round magazine 9mm conceal carry.

1708372561581.png

Thank you all for your responses and valuable info.

I tried Glock 43, Glock 19, p320 compact, p365 and p365xl. P320 is a great gun but it's bulky for edc in my opinion.

For me, P365xl was a great fit in terms of ergonomics, size and weight. So finally ordered it and picked it up today after the mandatory grueling wait of 10 working days.

I also got the Wilson combat grip module in tan color and the tungsten weights.

Here is the pic.

I will be taking it to the range this Sunday. Range report to follow

Attachments

• 1000033326.jpg
    1000033326.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 22
I cant afford the 365. But I got a Taurus GX4 that I picked up along the way. After firing it close to 3,000 rounds, it turned to a very good result and decision. Besides its pretty accurate for its class, its reliable, compact and it only weights 22.6 ounce loaded 12 on a 13 round magazine 9mm conceal carry.

View attachment 1826329
My buddy carries one of those, it has been very reliable for him.

Thank you all for your responses and valuable info.

I tried Glock 43, Glock 19, p320 compact, p365 and p365xl. P320 is a great gun but it's bulky for edc in my opinion.

For me, P365xl was a great fit in terms of ergonomics, size and weight. So finally ordered it and picked it up today after the mandatory grueling wait of 10 working days.

I also got the Wilson combat grip module in tan color and the tungsten weights.

Here is the pic.

I will be taking it to the range this Sunday. Range report to follow
The snowflake pattern is precious.

Lool

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show