JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All

I am in the market for my first 9mm semi auto which I will be using as an EDC and Home defense.

I have zeroed in on 3 but i am not able to decide:

1. Sig P365XL - 10+1, wilson combat grip, romeo red dot
2. Sig P320 xcarry - 10+1, romeo red dot
3. Sig P320 xcompact - 10+1, red dot.

I have watched numerous youtube videos but the more I watch the more I get confused. I have shot P365xl at my local range and I like the size, I still have to shoot a rental p320 compact. The range does not have xcompact or xcarry.

Any insights on which one should I go with? Thanks in Advance.

Last Edited:
blob.jpg

A good idea is to go to an indoor range and rent for mentioned firearms and see which one feels right. I just went through this dilemma and went in wanting an sig, I ended up purchasing a HK. The brand doesn't matter as much as what's comfortable and you can hit shots easy. This is in theory a life or death scenario firearm and you should be comfortable with it as this will build trust between the shooter and equipment.

A good idea is to go to an indoor range and rent for mentioned firearms and see which one feels right. I just went through this dilemma and went in wanting an sig, I ended up purchasing a HK. The brand doesn't matter as much as what's comfortable and you can hit shots easy. This is in theory a life or death scenario firearm and you should be comfortable with it as this will build trust between the shooter and equipment.
Yes, that's the plan. Will try out p320 compact at the range. Unfortunately do don't have "xcarry" version.

This will be my first 9mm pistol and first EDC (never carried before)
What is your experience level shooting pistol? Also, since you're new to carry, look into ORS 166 and start thinking of when you can use deadly force.

The sad reality is that even if it's a clean shoot, the DA will likely come after you along with the injured perp/dead guys family.

Hello All

I am in the market for my first 9mm semi auto which I will be using as an EDC and Home defense.

I have watched numerous youtube videos but the more I watch the more I get confused. I have shot P365xl at my local range and I like the size, I still have to shoot a rental p320 compact. The range does not have xcompact or xcarry.

Glock 19, ie the standard reply. And probably for good reason. But ur in WA I see.

If going smaller I have the p365x with red dot and it's a pretty good gun. Good size for carrying and shoots well for a small gun. Keep in mind the red dot may change your carry options as it makes the gun quite a bit bigger.

As far as first 9mm, a full size gun is best imo (as solvent alluded to) cuz it's much easier to shoot well. But if only getting the one gun I suppose you have to get a smaller one that you will carry hopefully all the time.

I would focus on how you will carry it first (Fe pocket or IWB or appendix) then find what guns are acceptable size to carry in that method. Thickness and length of the grip are crucial sizes to watch here in terms of carrying. Length of grip greatly affects "printing" and thickness affects comfort (I served that one up for solvent ha ha).

Last Edited:
Personally I would not have a red dot on my EDC. You need to focus on the threat, not the dot. Also the red dot sight could get you killed if you are too reliant on it when it fails.

But that's just me.

Personally I would not have a red dot on my EDC. You need to focus on the threat, not the dot. Also the red dot sight could get you killed if you are too reliant on it when it fails.

But that's just me.
FYI lots of red dots are cowitnessed with the iron sights including p365x/xl. For me it's actually much easier to focus on the threat not the sights with a red dot cuz there are only 2 planes, ie you don't have to focus on the dot at all, only the target. In contrast iron sights you have three planes. If one takes the time to find the front sight that slows you down. If one takes the time to focus on the front sight that really slows you down and this time increases with age of the shooter.

But you make a good point Imo cuz one has to fully commit to practicing with it enough so that your presentation has the red dot in the window, every single time. There is a thread on how to find the red dot that shows Mike seeklander and Rob lathaems method for that.

Also you have to commit to keeping the red dot clean. I brush it out often using a lenspen. Similar to brushing off a gun carried in a pocket holster.

If one is not going to make those commitments (especially of getting the correct angle of presentation every single time) then I think iron sights would be better and for most beginners I think iron sights would be better cuz they don't understand yet how to build the grip and consistently present the gun on correct plane necessary to have the red dot within the window.

Last Edited:
Hello All

Maybe call Bullseye in Tacoma, they have a range and rentals.

Also, i am biased for CZ and would recommend the P10c over your choices. Competes well against the G19. A thought.

I've been carrying about 10 yrs. Fortunately never had to use it or even come close, but I've carried full sized 1911s down to a single stack mini 9mm. My main carrying now in a Sig P220 or Bersa BP9cc. Opposite ends of the spectrum.

Since you seem to be open, you'll probably go through several yourself. I would focus on what you already have, especially since it's a great choice and you were drawn to it.

Thought you only need one FCU for the P320, which can go into different grips. The FCU is the serialised piece and the grips are not. Am i wrong?
That's true, I was considering the ever-encroaching infringements here in WA. The transfer requirements are always growing and there is another pending bill to shut down FFLs.

Getting the serialized part now, and a spare, allows him to take his time deciding on grip modules and slides.

What is your experience level shooting pistol? Also, since you're new to carry, look into ORS 166 and start thinking of when you can use deadly force.

The sad reality is that even if it's a clean shoot, the DA will likely come after you along with the injured perp/dead guys family.
I had been a pistol shooter for couple of years and might have shot ~1000 rounds so far but never owned one. All pistols I shot were gun range rentals.
I will not start carrying from day 1, the plan is to sign up for trainings (shooting + legal) and slowly ease into appendix carry.
Glock 19, ie the standard reply. And probably for good reason. But ur in WA I see.

If going smaller I have the p365x with red dot and it's a pretty good gun. Good size for carrying and shoots well for a small gun. Keep in mind the red dot may change your carry options as it makes the gun quite a bit bigger.

As far as first 9mm, a full size gun is best imo (as solvent alluded to) cuz it's much easier to shoot well. But if only getting the one gun I suppose you have to get a smaller one that you will carry hopefully all the time.

I would focus on how you will carry it first (Fe pocket or IWB or appendix) then find what guns are acceptable size to carry in that method. Thickness and length of the grip are crucial sizes to watch here in terms of carrying. Length of grip greatly affects "printing" and thickness affects comfort (I served that one up for solvent ha ha).

But that's just me.
I am still thinking about the red dot, probably add it later on and start with metal sights. I like the metal sights + red dot cowitness option though. I want to get my first carry gun that I can carry all the time.

I had been a pistol shooter for couple of years and might have shot ~1000 rounds so far but never owned one. All pistols I shot were gun range rentals.
I will not start carrying from day 1, the plan is to sign up for trainings (shooting + legal) and slowly ease into appendix carry.

I am still thinking about the red dot, probably add it later on and start with metal sights. I like the metal sights + red dot cowitness option though. I want to get my first carry gun that I can carry all the time.
Cool. Imo you are thinking the right way. #1 factor imo is carry frequency (you never know when or how an attack will occur but if the gun is not with you you can't use it). #2 factor is can you shoot it well under duress. All other factors are much more minor in comparison Imo.

I used to despise the idea of carry optics. Then my eyes began to age. I find that they greatly improve my speed on target. It didn't take long to train up on it. The brand name micro dots have proven durable over the years, without any special handling. Shake awake/auto sleep, brightness settings all work like they should. The glass gets dusty but not hazed or scratched.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top