JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Re home defense, small guns are hard to shoot well so kinda suck at home defense compared to other options. But if it's only one gun I would prioritize EDC and live with less than ideal for home defense. You can always add an inexpensive 12 gauge for home defense or other gun. 2 cents
x2 on avoiding smaller handguns for home defense, along with the inability to mount larger lights. While I agree to prioritize EDC if you have a shotgun/rifle, I personally would flip that thinking if its your only home defense firearm... my thinking was/would be that youre more likely to confront multiple attackers in a home invasion, where as ccw is likely to be "belly blasting" scenario-- your focus is fending off until safe.

Don't think either priority is wrong, comes down to personal preference and type of crime common in your area. As long as you have the proper tools/dummy rounds and avoid machining/mills/drills, most disassembly and reassembly can be learned. Nonetheless it would take myself 3x the time to rebuild most handguns vs a glock ha, not suggesting glock is somehow superior.

As for magazine size, comply with all laws but remember injunctions exist so you may be able to have full size magazines at some point in the future. Stay up to date with GOA and FPC nonprofits.

Shotty woulda been perfect in that scenario.."good spread"
Yea how about a gun port on each side and have them in a 12 gauge crossfire? (J/k) :p
5243A53C-43FA-4468-AFB9-B1D30EA22166.jpeg
64D90920-C64F-4E8B-B1F1-30EBBF1AA614.jpeg
Could you imagine the perps' reaction if they saw two of these bubbleguming things sticking out of the wall at them? :s0112: :s0112::s0112:
C6315F60-F6AB-41A2-931E-E30EE0109C10.jpeg
AF5263A8-8F6C-426A-B0E3-C7D1DF48323D.jpeg
The wife's little backup shotgun (j/k) :p
32EAA303-88A3-4F01-9675-DA5211CC72A9.jpeg

Last Edited:
When I did live fire training with an instructor that was a LEO expert in use of force, he advised that a carry pistol is primarily for close distance, which would therefore eliminate the need for the laser. Maybe try some non sighted firing practice at 10-20 ft.

Personally I prefer to train with stock sights until I'm happy with my shooting accuracy.

Recommend Glock 26, as it is low maintenance, and fairly accurate even at 50 ft.

That's true, I was considering the ever-encroaching infringements here in WA. The transfer requirements are always growing and there is another pending bill to shut down FFLs.

Getting the serialized part now, and a spare, allows him to take his time deciding on grip modules and slides.
Unless the state lawmakers decide to go AR-15 on ALL semiautomatic weapons and ban the purchase of ANY related parts. :mad:
My regular environment is urban and workplace is "no weapons zone". The firearm will be relied for HD as well. I can field strip and clean but don't have any gunsmith training so cannot repair. I can install aftermarket mods by reading the instructions.
My attire is mostly casual - jeans and shorts or hoodies, I don't wear tight clothing.
Suggest you consider a Glock 19, 43X or 48. By far the easiest firearm to field strip, clean, or replace various parts on.

Some general comments...

1) When buying smaller guns make sure you rent the exact model you're thinking of getting and try it out first. Many smaller guns can be downright unpleasant to shoot, even in 9mm.

2) Keep in mind the size difference between all the new single stack, thin, compact guns and a Glock 19 sized gun is pretty minimal. And most people can carry and conceal a G19 sized gun without any problems. Many people will also add the extended mag base pad to their compact gun which effectively makes the grip the same size as a G19 anyway.

3) Make sure that the gun you buy is actually a gun you would want to fight with and bet your life on. With the smaller guns you get reduced size and weight but you also get a shorter sight radius, greater recoil, reduced capacity and inability to get a full hand on the grip...unless you go up to the bigger mag/base pad. Make sure the tradeoffs are really worth it. And, agains, especially given that a G19 sized gun isn't much bigger and easily concealable for most people. YMMV.

Some general comments...

1) When buying smaller guns make sure you rent the exact model you're thinking of getting and try it out first. Many smaller guns can be downright unpleasant to shoot, even in 9mm.

2) Keep in mind the size difference between all the new single stack, thin, compact guns and a Glock 19 sized gun is pretty minimal. And most people can carry and conceal a G19 sized gun without any problems. Many people will also add the extended mag base pad to their compact gun which effectively makes the grip the same size as a G19 anyway.

3) Make sure that the gun you buy is actually a gun you would want to fight with and bet your life on. With the smaller guns you get reduced size and weight but you also get a shorter sight radius, greater recoil, reduced capacity and inability to get a full hand on the grip...unless you go up to the bigger mag/base pad. Make sure the tradeoffs are really worth it. And, agains, especially given that a G19 sized gun isn't much bigger and easily concealable for most people. YMMV.
Re point #2, there is a big diff in size. Fe: p365x vs g19

400A4F6E-0F06-4E37-B494-6ED2FB4C8FD8.jpeg

B4AC5D6C-F89D-48C8-98E4-79AE084E5EB4.jpeg

On paper there isn't much difference between a Glock 19 and 48. In person, and when IWB, the difference is great. Now that I'm used to a 48 my 19 feels huge. In wintertime, OWB, that doesn't matter. Concealing one in summertime in an urban environment is quite different.

Unless the state lawmakers decide to go AR-15 on ALL semiautomatic weapons and ban the purchase of ANY related parts. :mad:

Suggest you consider a Glock 19, 43X or 48. By far the easiest firearm to field strip, clean, or replace various parts on.
I will compare Glock 19, 43x and 48 with SIG models but I like Sigs more than Glocks :) . I have shot both and Glocks are great guns but looks wise I lean a bit more towards Sigs.
So my first preference is Sig but will consider Glocks too if a Sig does not fit.

I will compare Glock 19, 43x and 48 with SIG models but I like Sigs more than Glocks :) . I have shot both and Glocks are great guns but looks wise I lean a bit more towards Sigs.
So my first preference is Sig but will consider Glocks too if a Sig does not fit.
If, heaven forbid, you have to draw and use your firearm do you want one that you know for sure is gonna work or do you want one that might?
Function first, looks second.

As mentioned ... try them out first. Opinions are a mess, where your ability to put accurate rounds on target is the key factor in deciding.

Note that there was some cost cutting associated with both the Sig 320 and 365 with MIM (metal injected molding) parts. There is a small percentage of the products that dont function well. Sig will stand behind the product and fix any issues, just a pain to go through.

Personally, my fav 9mm is a Sig 2022. Got it because it was at a great price used, otherwise I would have never known about this gun. Amazing gun, where it is basically a polymer frame P229. Limited accessory options for it though, but manageable.

Many consider the Glock 19 the best overall.

Have fun and try them all at the range! Worth the time to find a good place that rents.

Hello All

I am in the market for my first 9mm semi auto which I will be using as an EDC and Home defense.

I have zeroed in on 3 but i am not able to decide:

1. Sig P365XL - 10+1, wilson combat grip, romeo red dot
2. Sig P320 xcarry - 10+1, romeo red dot
3. Sig P320 xcompact - 10+1, red dot.

I have watched numerous youtube videos but the more I watch the more I get confused. I have shot P365xl at my local range and I like the size, I still have to shoot a rental p320 compact. The range does not have xcompact or xcarry.

Any insights on which one should I go with? Thanks in Advance.
I'm pretty partial to the 365XL. There have been major strides in the EDC micro compact market over recent years as far as carry capacity and ergonomics. Why not take advantage?
Nothing wrong with carrying a bigger gun but you'll always run into the issue of printing with a larger gun and it's more weight to carry everywhere you go. If I lived in a more gun-friendly state I'd be less concerned but you don't want to be showing off that you're carrying in a state full of people that are apparently focused on stripping of your right to do so.
The gun you'll be most effective with is the one you train with the most. As long as you can get a good, proper grip on the gun, you should be able to learn to shoot it good enough for EDC with enough trips to the range.
Red dot vs irons is a matter of personal preference. It would probably be good to practice shooting your irons cowitnessed through the RDS (turned off) in the event of an optic failure so you know you'll still hit your target in a high stress situation.

I won't tell you what to get, but for a one gun home defense, self defense, and EDC, get one you shoot well.
I have been carrying since 1983. I have big and small guns. My edc is a 5 shot J frame revolver. but I have guns that are much easier to shoot. The reason I carry the small revolver is there is nothing easier to carry on me all day every day. And its my opinion that the small gun on me is far superior to the bigger gun that ends up on the counter or in a drawer.
Get the gun that you shoot best, and when you start carrying every day, find the one you will keep on you all day.

I know lots of people that carry the 365, shoot it well, and shoot it often. If it was offered in CA I might shoot one too. They have good aftermarket support, there are lots of good holsters out there for them. Its about the same size as the Shield I can get here in CA.
I am not a dot fan but my kids [in their 30's and 40's] are starting to warm up to them. The new dots are getting reliable enough to edc. Remember that optic slams both forward and back every time the gun fires. and carried appendix, every counter you reach over has the gun and optic rubbing the edge. So get one that has a good record.

When you are ready for concealed carry, start with that gun on you every min you are awake in your own home. It gives time to work out the details of keeping your clothes covering the gun, how to sit, how to use the bathroom, etc... These are learned skills. And always be a good student. Learn something new every day! Good Luck DR

If it were me I'd get a p365 non-xl without a red dot and carry it in an Alabama pocket holster (don't substitute any other holster). You'll forget you're carrying it. You won't have to worry about printing, bumping into things with it, or what to do with it in the restroom. Also you can have your hand on the gun, release it with thumb release and ready to go and no one will have a clue cuz it just looks like you have your hand in your pocket (I've done this a few times in sketchy situations). Most comfortable carry method ever imo. Don't have anything else in that pocket. If I'm awake it or p938 is in my pocket ready to go without any thought about it or discomfort. Carry deep (that means unseen, not physically deep). Carry always.

Here's a demo
Here it is in my pocket

E10BAE9E-C923-478F-8092-162BFD8759F3.jpeg
Full video from the blurb above
View: https://youtu.be/WT3gkXyxhuA?si=mZQZgHgDwtClmeb0

Last Edited:
As everyone else says, buy what you can shoot. I am currently schooling a guy on his first home defense handgun, and at first he was enamored with the Ruger American compact in 9mm. I have a pile of pistols that I said he could shoot, and I told him the first thing to look at was how a gun felt in the hand, then what he could actually shoot. I had previously had him shoot a number of 22's quite a bit, so he had the hang of the basics. He didn't like the 1911's for obvious reasons. One choice was the Beretta M9, he liked the way it "felt", but he couldn't shoot it worth a darn. He did not like the feel of my S&W M&P9 2.0, but when he shot it, he took the middle right of the target. That brought a big smile to his face. If you can possibly do it, shoot before you buy.

I won't tell you what to get, but for a one gun home defense, self defense, and EDC, get one you shoot well.
I have been carrying since 1983. I have big and small guns. My edc is a 5 shot J frame revolver. but I have guns that are much easier to shoot. The reason I carry the small revolver is there is nothing easier to carry on me all day every day. And its my opinion that the small gun on me is far superior to the bigger gun that ends up on the counter or in a drawer.
Get the gun that you shoot best, and when you start carrying every day, find the one you will keep on you all day.

I know lots of people that carry the 365, shoot it well, and shoot it often. If it was offered in CA I might shoot one too. They have good aftermarket support, there are lots of good holsters out there for them. Its about the same size as the Shield I can get here in CA.
I am not a dot fan but my kids [in their 30's and 40's] are starting to warm up to them. The new dots are getting reliable enough to edc. Remember that optic slams both forward and back every time the gun fires. and carried appendix, every counter you reach over has the gun and optic rubbing the edge. So get one that has a good record.

When you are ready for concealed carry, start with that gun on you every min you are awake in your own home. It gives time to work out the details of keeping your clothes covering the gun, how to sit, how to use the bathroom, etc... These are learned skills. And always be a good student. Learn something new every day! Good Luck DR
Great advice right here. Also a J frame carrier now a days. For all the reasons DR called out. One thing I'll add to the carrying around the house, it'll give you an opportunity to discipline yourself to not touch and/or adjust your edc regularly. Something that seems to be common to those who are newly carrying. I was guilty of this too back in the day…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top