JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You cannot make an informed decision about something like this without going to a range and actually shooting the firearms in which you are interested. For me, that meant that I wound up choosing the Glock 43X. I carried a Glock 23 (40 cal) for a long time but it's just too difficult to conceal comfortably on my frame.
This is crucial, after considering the four points made above by robertvarner. Ask yourself: What's your regular environment (urban/rural/pro or anti2A)? What's your typical attire? Will this firearm be relied on for HD at times? How well can you repair a specific brand or model of firearm, since you'll be relying on it daily?

For myself, this lead to a g43 after years of carrying a g17 and g34-- which were also bedside firearms besides a shotgun. Full size aren't comfortable in a suit unless shoulder holstered, and my past environments wouldn't allow it. Still carry the g34 on the weekends/dressed casual. Only favor glock because I'm personally not great at rebuilding handguns/small parts, but many can rebuild any handgun without instructions or diagrams.

Find someone who has been concealed carrying EVERYDAY for MANY HOURS PER DAY (like 8 hours), for at least TEN YEARS consistently. There are plenty of people out there like that.

That is a person committed to concealed carry. They will have gone through the laborious process of (probably) trying different firearm form factors, calibers, holsters, belts, clothing, training, etc.

Buy them a cup of coffee and spend an hour with them asking them what they went through (paying attention to the above items) to get to the point where they are comfortable to carry concealed for most of the day, everyday.

After that conversation with an actual concealed carrier, you'll probably become more comfortable with the realization that the whole process of concealed carry is one of trial and revision: try, revise - try again, revise again, etc. After many of these iterations you'll find the caliber, firearm form factor, holster, etc., that work best for you.

The nice thing about belonging to this forum - it is EASY to sell the stuff you find does not work for you and recoup some of your cash outflow.

TWYLALTR

Good Luck.

full.gif

Are you carrying open or concealed? I carry a G37 concealed and a P320 XFULL open. I have an IWB for the P320, but I'm, uhhh, "less narrow" than I used to be so no matter what I've got for a shirt, I'm printing and it's uncomfortable. So I prefer the comfort of the G37. I have the extended magazine for the Glock so I can carry 8+1 vs 16+1 for the SIG. Capacity can be a consideration b/c no matter how well-trained you are, every target gets really really small under duress, especially if you're someone with a conscience and you have to weigh the potential of taking a human life in a split second. But as my old firearms instructor used to say, "He who hesitates is dead."

He also used to say for personal and home defense, don't get too wrapped up in specs or chambers, just make sure you're comfortable with it and it goes "bang" when you squeeze the trigger.

Last Edited:
Personally I would not have a red dot on my EDC. You need to focus on the threat, not the dot. Also the red dot sight could get you killed if you are too reliant on it when it fails.

But that's just me.
When the shtf your little stupid cowitnessing abortion will be rendered inoperable by sh!t, mud, ash, dirt, blood, yadda, also.

Oops, Washington not Oregon. Look at RCW 9.41, not ORS. Washington doesn't allow carry in bars or at the bar in a restaurant. You shouldn't be drinking though anyways while carrying.
If they have lounge outside the bar you can carry there. The bar typically has designated rails and such so you will know. I have eaten at McMenamins Queen Anne on Roy Street in Seattle and I sat in the eating area. I drank a root beer and no alcohol when I carry.

My suggestings for your 9mm:

HK VP9
Glock 17

Last Edited:
This is crucial, after considering the four points made above by robertvarner. Ask yourself: What's your regular environment (urban/rural/pro or anti2A)? What's your typical attire? Will this firearm be relied on for HD at times? How well can you repair a specific brand or model of firearm, since you'll be relying on it daily?

For myself, this lead to a g43 after years of carrying a g17 and g34-- which were also bedside firearms besides a shotgun. Full size aren't comfortable in a suit unless shoulder holstered, and my past environments wouldn't allow it. Still carry the g34 on the weekends/dressed casual. Only favor glock because I'm personally not great at rebuilding handguns/small parts, but many can rebuild any handgun without instructions or diagrams.
My regular environment is urban and workplace is "no weapons zone". The firearm will be relied for HD as well. I can field strip and clean but don't have any gunsmith training so cannot repair. I can install aftermarket mods by reading the instructions.
My attire is mostly casual - jeans and shorts or hoodies, I don't wear tight clothing.

My regular environment is urban and workplace is "no weapons zone". The firearm will be relied for HD as well. I can field strip and clean but don't have any gunsmith training so cannot repair. I can install aftermarket mods by reading the instructions.
My attire is mostly casual - jeans and shorts or hoodies, I don't wear tight clothing.
Re home defense, small guns are hard to shoot well so kinda suck at home defense compared to other options. But if it's only one gun I would prioritize EDC and live with less than ideal for home defense. You can always add an inexpensive 12 gauge for home defense or other gun. Some like to have the addition of a light for home defense but kinda depends on your home environment and preferences.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top