Help on when to draw your weapon

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by 1371JarHead, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

While I mostly agree with that, if I'm drawing and the dudes eyes bug out and he flips a 180 then I have no intention of pulling the trigger.

2. MrRob96

MrRob96
    Greater Tacoma Area
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

^^ agreed. Not gonna shoot unless bad dude keeps being bad once the pistol is out.

If the presence of a gun doesn't yield a stop, time to try a CNS or psychological stop.

1371JarHead and bbbass like this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Everything needed saying has been said... I would add that you practice your arch-stomp, and knee to the groin moves. Neither one really requires a lot of power (strength) to be effective, add to that 90%+ of people (bullies) are mostly bluster and will deflate pretty quickly when called out.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma
    A Dirty Little Town in NW Oregon

It's already been said, but I'll reiterate...
    Don't draw unless you're prepared to shoot.
    Untolled thousands of confrontations are ended by the presence of a good guy with a gun... with not a shot fired.
    I think I get where you're going with that statement, but it falls in line with "make sure you KILL the bad guy" and other similar hyperbole.

Be "prepared" to shoot, be "prepared" to kill, but don't make that your central focus of stopping an attack.
    Your central focus is on STOPPING the attack. The outcome of the attacker's health, his/her well being, is beyond your means. You simply provided control over a situation that was not of your making.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  5. Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma
    A Dirty Little Town in NW Oregon

Ive seen some pretty effective-looking t-shirt grab moves too. There are lots of incapacitating "moves" that will (or won't) make deadly force unnecessary... we all hope for the best outcome, but occasionally a bad guy forces our hand.

bbbass and Heyjoe like this.
  6. coyoteman5

coyoteman5
    Forest grove
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2018 Volunteer

For me, why carry an unloaded gun might as well be carrying a brick things happen way to fast when it goes sideways you need to have your focus on other things than loading a round in its already stressful why add more.

7. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    State of Jefferson
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

This.

And paragraphs my man, paragraphs. ;)

8. ob1

ob1
    46th parallel
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The above could have been a major problem if it had come to the point of you needing to pull your weapon. Thankfully that didn't happen.
    I am assuming this may have been because of your concern of an accidental discharge with that striker fired FN....

If you can't get over that apprehension, you may want to look into changing to a chambered and decocked single action/ double action automatic or even a revolver, which would relieve you of the eternal time lag involved in chambering a round in a danger close scenario.

9. SKrueger

SKrueger
    West Coast
    Moderator Staff Member Diamond Supporter 2017 Volunteer

More than me?!:p:D

1371JarHead, bbbass and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. SKrueger

SKrueger
    West Coast
    Moderator Staff Member Diamond Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I agree with so many things that have been said and the advice given. You have to feel comfortable with what you do. You carry for your defense and that needs to be the main point.

I would start with carrying one in the chamber chances are you won't have the time to do so.

Howard1955 and 1371JarHead like this.
  11. amusicman2

amusicman2
    Mid Valley

Sounds to me you may want to consider a revolver with everything going on. Easier. I am by no means telling you anything you don’t already know. Just my opinion. Thanks for your service also.

12. L84Cabo

L84Cabo
    Orcas & San Diego

I think you got a good lesson in why it's important to carry with a round in the chamber. When you need your gun, you might need it right freaking NOW.

Do you have any issues with carrying with a round chambered? I'm not familiar with your FN. But if you're not comfortable with the FN for some reason, there are plenty of other options out there if your gun doesn't have a safety and you want one...or a SA/DA choice that has a much heavier first pull.

The one thing I would also suggest is that the next time something like this happens, don't wait for an hour to go by before you call the police. It is in your best interest to be the FIRST person to call. Right or wrong, the first person who calls is often viewed as the innocent one. If the idiot had called first and reported you, you might have had a harder time with things.

Did you ever find out who the guy was? Is he a fellow resident so you may be encountering him again at some point? Because you may want to consider carrying some pepper spray as well. Nobody wins if you have to shoot someone. And even if you're 100% in the right, your life will be forever changed and not for the better. It's nice to have an option in between "nothing" and "deadly force." Pepper spray usually works pretty good on dogs too.

Glad everything worked out ok. :)

13. Cerberus Group

Cerberus Group
    Goldendale, WA.
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I would seek out an attorney in your area that's well versed in use of force issues, and ask them your question of when to draw.

For the cost of a case of ammo, you'll be well ahead of the game. Most will give the first hour free. Come prepared with questions.

Howard1955, Ura-Ki and Caveman Jim like this.
  14. Wombat of Doom

Wombat of Doom
    Beaverton

One semi-nitpicky thing, which I am sure you know. I don't back up because most people can't do a very powerful move from extremely close. I know a couple passable ones, but closer is often safer. Also, it's psychologically unsettling to bullies to hold your ground. If I am afraid someone is going to hit me, I move in rather than away.Also, it's easy to execute a shin scrape with your instep, followed by a stomp which breaks the arch and a quick pop to the groin with a hand. Should take the fight out of most people. None of which requires much strength.

Another technique that I love is a finger to under the bridge of the nose and push up and back. It requires minimal force and takes control of the head. Also supremely humiliating as it can be done with one finger. A good follow up is a strike to the xiphoid process if needed.

I am a 5'7" guy and I work in psych. Most folks have needed just the fact that if they try to close distance I go closer to worry them. Back in my younger and substantially rougher days I have used every technique mentioned. Usually against far larger and stronger opponents when I had no other options.

bbbass likes this.
  15. parallax

parallax
    Oregon

Any more information on the. Nut. Job. With the dog? Does he live in your apartment building ?

bbbass likes this.
  16. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

First of all load the frickin gun.
    Second get a new holster that doesn't have a lock or latch on it .
    I only carry a serpa holster if I'm on the boat or fishing on the beach or hiking or doing something that might cause the gun to fall out.
    And be prepared for another in counter with this idiot .if he does live in your building.
    It's funny how guys like that change their attitude.when they realize they almost got shot.
    Now he wants to call the police.and run away.

Caveman Jim, Ura-Ki, bbbass and 2 others like this.
  17. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

for when to draw start here, download the free brochure and read it.... there is a wealth of more free information on their website.

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/Hayes_SDLaw.pdf

as far as your draw, a single class will cover all your questions on clothing choices and technique.

18. 1371JarHead

1371JarHead
    Seattle

Hey Dude, Thanks for your reply I carry without a round chambered because way back in 2006 i was working in a DFAC in Iraq, and over the period of 2 months there was a few times when high speed operators had a neg discharge inside the DFAC, so after that nobody was allowed carry hot, sounds weird in the middle of a shooting war with thousands of hadjies shooting at you and we cant have one in the chamber lolol.

Howard1955 likes this.
  19. 1371JarHead

1371JarHead
    Seattle

Yeah I have done a 100% eval of my rig setup as of yesterday, and i think i will be going with a round chambered and im headed to the range on Sat and im going look at a diff holster

Howard1955, bbbass, Lilhigbee and 2 others like this.
  20. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

And now you're in Seattle .
    Still have Hadjies all around .
    And dope heads dope dealers.
    Homeless drug addicts that will rob you for 5 bucks.sleep on your doorstep and assult you when you tell them to leave.a city government that will call you the criminal .when you defend yourself.
    Lol you where probably better off in IRAQ