JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I've got a dilemma I'm hoping you fine people can help me sort out. It's related to what I have, what I don't have, and the possibility of new laws forbidding me to get what I don't have. I'm hoping y'all can help me make the best bad decision I can.

I have a nice old S&W model 10 heavy barrel. It has a four-inch barrel, it's pinned and recessed, and the firing pin is right there on the end of the hammer. I can't remember if I got it from a fellow member here, or off armslist, but it's a beauty. I really enjoy shooting it. However, even though I do have a big enough mustache to carry this 1970s smoke wagon, it's not something I ever carry. The only other .38 I have is the j-frame that sits in my pocket nearly every damn day, whether or not I also rock the 9mm.

From time to time, I've thought of moving the S&W along, in support of getting something else. I've wanted a Ruger Blackhawk convertible .357/9mm for a long time, to shoot with my Rossi 92. I also really want a CZ Scorpion, as in really, really want. I already have a few rifles Mr. Bloomberg wishes I didn't - an AR, and quality AKs in 7.62 and 5.56. As I've tried to explain to my wife, the CZ is the "last one I need to get" before any bans. She didn't believe me. While I do have enough extra funds to just buy the Scorpion, I'd likely need to also buy the services of a divorce attorney.

So, finally, here's my dilemma - should I: 1) sell or trade the S&W for a Ruger Blackhawk, 2) sell the S&W in support of raising funds for a Scorpion, or 3) do nothing, trust I'll still be able to buy the Scorpion the next time I get a tax refund, and keep on dry firing the S&W at my TV?

Generally speaking, my rule is to never sell any firearm I get. However, between the wife and the election I'm just a little nervous about my chances to get a Scorpion before it's too late. Thanks for any guidance or wisdom y'all can offer. :)

Just buy the Scorpion and keep the others. I'm like you and never sell a firearm once I buy it. The only exception I ever made was my Tec-9 which looked cool but was a total POS and not worth having/keeping in my opinion. Nothing is going to change before tax time so if it will save your marriage wait a few months and buy it then, and then surprise your wife with a nice, expensive present for her. Whats she gonna say?

I really enjoy shooting it.
So you should not sell it! You will kick yourself later.

But do figure out how to get that Scorpion! I just got one last weekend and I love it!
I'm punching 5 shot groups at 25 yards with all the holes touching. Thats with a Vortex SPARC II red dot on top. Plan on getting the safety delete for the side your shooting hand is on, it really digs into the index finger.

Dang, I really enjoy shooting my 1980's S&W Model 10 heavy barrel. Just plain fun to shoot. My favorite range toy. I shoot 158gr handloads and enjoy not having to chase brass. It only carries 6 rounds, serves no purpose other than range toy and HD, but is just fun to blast away with! It is hard to get rid of handguns, they are really handy...

Thanks gentlemen! I'm leaning toward keeping the Model 10. It is a laser with just about anything 158 grain, but I think wadcutters especially.

Dang, I really enjoy shooting my 1980's S&W Model 10 heavy barrel. Just plain fun to shoot. My favorite range toy. I shoot 158gr handloads and enjoy not having to chase brass. It only carries 6 rounds, serves no purpose other than range toy and HD, but is just fun to blast away with! It is hard to get rid of handguns, they are really handy...
How can you beat that?

S&W model 10's and 15's are excellent revolvers.
Where I live they are underrated and have fallen from favor.
Why that is I haven't a clue.
As noted above they do indeed work and will get the job done nicely.
It's a shame they don't make 'em like they used too ....
Andy

Having a good range revolver thats cheap to reload comes in very handy for when ammo is scarce or expensive, and face it, 6 shot revolvers are still legal in 50 states. You can realistically always have that gun after registration and confiscation on the black guns. 6 rounds of 38 in a double action with a couple speed loaders always beats a can of pepper spray and a prayer. The Blackhawk is nice but isn't a better self defense option due to slow speed of discharge and reloading. I'd keep the Model 10 and get the Blackhawk for fun. Realistically the scorpion is no more effective than a Glock 17 with a 30rd magazine. Would I like to have one? Sure..but it's always better to make sure your needs are covered before your wants.

Does the scorpion do something another less expensive but similar caliber firearm cannot?

Save some money and get something different. Just my opinion.. Which is just as cheap as I can be sometimes. :D

I had a Combat Masterpiece (Pre Model 15). I bought it basically unfired. Wonderful gun but just didn't "do it" for me. I don't regret the fact that I traded it off. I do, however, regret trading away the S&W 649 Humpback 357 I received in trade...
Your Model 10 might have good value to someone interested in collecting it. Other than that, unfortunately it doesn't hold much value, so you might consider hanging onto it and just buying the gun you want.

It's a tough call and I'm no help.o_O

I bought a lot of nice collector guns during the last two rushes on ''Black guns''.
This is your official warning. So you better think thrice.

I'm like a vulture ready to strike! :D
And there will be no ''do-overs'' once it get your guns. :s0025:

I believe I'll follow some good advice. I'll keep it, save for the Scorpion, and buy my wife jewelry! :D

Y'all inspired me - just stepped up to a bronze membership. Out of the Scorpion money! :s0001:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top