JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Year ago I build a P80 PFC9 (serialised, sorry big brother Im not the droid your looking for....) with an Alpha Shooting Sports slide assembly. This is basically a Gen 3 Glock 19 for all practical purposes. While the gun is a tack driver and probably gives my 1911s a run for their money it occasionally malfunctions (can I say "jams"?). Mostly FTF, rarely a FTE. It is otherwise a really fun sweet gun to shoot.
Im not a believer in modifying guns to get to run like they are expected from the factory, so please no recommendations to polish the bubblegum out of the rails and ramp etc.
But being this is a home build its been a very slow crawl trouble shooting which part is the problem child, I occasionally take it out and have fun shooting it till it jams then look at it with a confused face while scratching my head..... but today I may have found my first clue.

A different kind of jam today was a first, a completely locked up feed just before full battery. Im so glad the striker didnt fire it as it happened mid magazine, click no boom. I went to rack the slide but it was locked up tight. The slide was maybe 1/8" or less out of battery and would not pull back. After several tries I had to beat the slide open using the RMR.... oy.

I field stripped the gun and looked things over no clue. I took the jammed Fiocchi round and dropped it in the chamber of the barrel. I took a different brand and did the same and there it was, my clue... the two do not sit the same in the chamber. The Fiocchi sat way high, the Winchester round sat flush.

I set aside the Fiocchi and switched to my Winchester that fit. I did not get a failure until over 50 rnds later a FTE, which is more the usual suspect.

At home I looked up SAAMI spec 9mm and measured. The Fiocci is on the large side but in tol. The Winchester is on the small side but in tol. Its not the ammo.

I'm not a gunsmith and fully admit I dont have a better way to measure the chamber,, Mititoyo calipers ID blade tips I put an estimated .2" inside the chamber measures about .388", minimum is .3913". If I measure deeper in it measures .38", min is .382" (note, the caliper ID blades do fit and measure all the way up to the lands). As a test both of these two rounds fit exactly the same in my factory Sig barrel.

If my chamber is too small this explains my FTF issues.

Now for my questions:

It also might explain very low frequency FTE issues if say a bullet is on the larger size after fireforming?

What do you all think, bad barrel?

If I buy a new barrel, are afermarket "Glock" barrels drop in?

Photos:
1683348200405.png

1683348220849.png

1683348514462.png

I had a problematic aftermarket Glock barrel from the "single wild canine" company. Sent it to them, they said it wasn't a problem. I replaced with a KKM barrel and never looked back.

Yes, there are definitely bad barrels out there.

Where are the marks on that proud round? Is it on the bullet or the brass? If it jammed in so hard you needed to mortar your gun with the optic, it left marks somewhere. I had a few rounds myself that were just a hair fat around the base of the brass that jammed up a PSA dagger complete slide in much the same way as your A S S. I'm leaning towards ammo being the problem.

Koda, blue sharpies are your friend.

Paint a round like Picasso and safely chamber it. In other words don't do this in your garage pointing at your neighbors house.

If it gets stuck, pull it and see where there is no more blue.

9mm headspace is off the case mouth, some slight assistance goes to it's mild tapered case. Most times when a Glock or a pistol chambers a case it's floating in the chamber and hanging in there from the extractor holding it against the slides breach face. That's what you can shoot 40 in a 10mm. Otherwise if it wasn't a controlled feed the round would just get shoved into that extra space. That's fine for it's actually chambering, s once it headspaces the extractor will ride over the rim and engage. But with a smaller round in a longer chamber, it will just go forward and have no contact with the breach at times. That's why shooting 380 in 9 or 40 in 10 isn't recommended. Stuff can go wrong. Not that it won't work.

If you're tight ;), IE too close to the sammi spec, those slightly longer rounds won't jive. They are likely getting bullets shoved into the throat. Which could explain your better precision. However that also means things can get stuck. I would say that your COAL differs a from brand to brand but the unshot cases probably are within spec if measured separately. Most companies get in trouble with COAL being wild. Again, a blue sharpie would confirm my crazy rant!

Not sure how much you know about rim fire, but think of a match chamber. The headspace is tighter so the round gets its bullet pushed into the throat, into the rifling.

While reloaders attempt to copy this by messing around with bullet depths, most don't with pistol, they want that slop for reliability.

Best of luck getting this one to run more better good!

Im listening but I dont think its the ammo. I also measured the headspace and its too small as well. I think they didnt ream the chamber deep enough so its small causing feed issues. The problem finally reared its ugly head when by chance I bought some ammo on the larger/fatter side of spec.
The ammos in tolerance and should fit.
The ammo fits my other 9mm pistol barrel, easy.

I think the barrel is bad and want to buy a new barrel, send this one back to Alpha.

will a new, different brand, barrel drop in without any fitting?

Im listening but I dont think its the ammo.

You said that particular round sits proud in multiple barrels from multiple manufacturers across multiple models, right? If so, it's the ammo. Your barrel may still be tight, however, that one round specifically, is the problem.

If you have a gen 3 style gun, a gen 3 style barrel will drop right in from any manufacturer. Glocks are generally very good about that

You said that particular round sits proud in multiple barrels from multiple manufacturers across multiple models, right?
yikes, I went back and yeah while thats not what I said its also not clear. To clarify the two rounds fitting the same in two barrels.... they both sat flush. IOW the one that got stuck in the P80 barrel did not get stuck in the Sig barrel. Its not the ammo.

Im still convinced its the barrel. I want to buy a new barrel but just blew my allowance on a new Grendel upper. Eventually I will get a new barrel for this, but in the mean time cheap is an option....

Does anyone have any opinions on Swenson barrels? I can get one on Midway for $50 bucks...

I figure the cheap barrel can validate my theory and give me something to use while I sent back the Alpha Shooting Sports barrel.

yikes, I went back and yeah while thats not what I said its also not clear. To clarify the two rounds fitting the same in two barrels.... they both sat flush. IOW the one that got stuck in the P80 barrel did not get stuck in the Sig barrel. Its not the ammo.

Im still convinced its the barrel. I want to buy a new barrel but just blew my allowance on a new Grendel upper. Eventually I will get a new barrel for this, but in the mean time cheap is an option....

Does anyone have any opinions on Swenson barrels? I can get one on Midway for $50 bucks...

I figure the cheap barrel can validate my theory and give me something to use while I sent back the Alpha Shooting Sports barrel.
Why not just buy a genuine Glock barrel? I believe Glock, glockstore and many others sell them. Could also buy a factory takeoff from someone who swapped to a fancy pants barrel right off the bat. Hard to beat Glock at making Glock barrels to Glock specs

Why not just buy a genuine Glock barrel? I believe Glock, glockstore and many others sell them.
because the cheapest glock barrel at the store is $175, and this is a P80 so im avoiding Glock parts if possible because thats the fun of P80 builds. :)

I had a problematic aftermarket Glock barrel from the "single wild canine" company. Sent it to them, they said it wasn't a problem. I replaced with a KKM barrel and never looked back.

Well. Damn. Now I'm second guessing the cheap barrel I just got from the misanthropic canine.

Guess we'll see when it gets here.

I had the exact same experience. My Glocks with threads now all run KKM's. "Buy once, cry once"......

Is Lonewolf quality worth using their slide configurator?
I ask because my next build is a 10mm longslide to sit on top of the Glock 20 frame I just bought.

and since were talking barrels...
after I get caught up id buy a nice barrel.
Any thoughts on a bbl with a compact comp?

Gen 3 G19...
like this one?

and since were talking barrels...
after I get caught up id buy a nice barrel.
Any thoughts on a bbl with a compact comp?

Gen 3 G19...
like this one?
I'd entertain a Griffin Micro Comp.
OOS at the moment.

I think the barrel is bad and want to buy a new barrel, send this one back to Alpha.

Read through... and I would agree with you based on the info and measurements provided.

Gen 3 compat's are all going to be drop-in's, but you still want to check specs and headspace... if you're going to stay after-market.

I can't help with the rest though. I do mine to OEM specs and tune as necessary for "as close to OEM factory" performance as possible... vs... just a tinker toy. That said, some pretty cheap preowned/like new OEM barrels can be had if your patient and shop around a bit. NWFA classifieds seem to be shrinking but calgun.net classifieds are quite extensive and I've routinely picked up some excellent deals there.

Just a thought....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top