JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Reno keep em coming. I also like to know why things dont work (as id like to build another, these P80s are fun). Its super fun to shoot so im comitted to making it run, correctly.

I dont think some minor fitting is unreasonable for a cheap barrel. Right now thats my guess as to whats needed, i just need to learn how.
This doesn't seem like a big deal. Take your longest fitting ammunition (the Fiocchi) and put it in the barrel. Does it come all the way to the end of the hood? If not, stone the back surface of the hood if the fit in the slide opening is tight (trying without the frame). If it is already about even with the hood, stone the front of the chamber block where it contacts the front end of the slide ejection port. This is harder to do because it is an inside corner.

Keep in mind that the difference between go and no-go is only .004 to .006". So stoning the back hood cuts into the chamber depth.

If the barrel drops into the slide without any real resistance, then stoning the horizontal surface on the bottom of the barrel lug is what you'll likely be addressing to reduce the vertical tightness between frame locking block and the inside top of the slide.

It is also possible that the width of the hood is an issue, but I would bet not. Do check it. There shouldn't be any other surface that matters.

Swenson barrels say they may need light hand fitting since they are built for accuracy. Use a fine stone, check often and go slow. If it fits at all right now, the amount of material you need to remove is really tiny.

Can I get away with just buying a go gauge?
I think I agree now with the lego analogy, I was wondering about this with pistol builds.... but ignored this question because it seems like, so-many-people are building custom pistol builds these days I assumed headspace issues were worked out with pistol builds.

Note: I'm still not certain if my new barrel has a headspace issue vs some other fitting issue, still investigating the light strike issue. But I can see how checking and eliminating a headspace question would be part of the fitting process.
In your case where it might be an issue of a tight headspace, probably. It wouldn't hurt getting a set. You can cheat and put some tape on the butt of the go gauge "creating" a no go gauge.

You could get away with a piece of sized brass trimmed to spec. Then find a long piece of brass or a 38 super brass case and trim it to +.oo4 thousandths longer than a spec 9mm case. Brass being softer can squeeze into a poorly headspaced gun though. Steel will lock up the action.

It's really hard to say what's off. It's obvious that something is though. Having good tools definitely helps find the right issue and or aids in process of elimination.

BTW, you can always rent a chamber reamer for something like $30 by mail.
That might be the ticket for the bad Alpha barrel. I dont have much confidence in their warranty service after finding out they charge you to get your part back if they "deem" it isnt their fault.

That might be the ticket for the bad Alpha barrel. I dont have much confidence in their warranty service after finding out they charge you to get your part back if they "deem" it isnt their fault.
Stop at a gun store and ask them if they have a 9mm gauge they can try in your gun. "Barrel fails Go check," is not going to be your fault.

Maybe a NWFA member will loan you theirs for the cost of postage.

A light AND off-center strike. Which in a Glock usually means that gun fired something shy of being fully in battery. Which they can and will do if something is interfering with cycling.

On your bad barrel, did you ever try inserting fired cases of the different brands instead of just new rounds? I would be curious if the chamber is short or if the actual bullet ogive is getting wedged in the lands with the Fiocchi.
I had the light off center strikes as well with my alpha ss slide assembly. It was not going into full battery.

I had the light off center strikes as well with my alpha ss slide assembly. It was not going into full battery.
My Alpha slide assembly goes into battery like butter. Its the chamber thats too small.
Im feeling a sticky spot with the new Swenson barrel just before it reaches full battery. Im trying to figure out where its rubbing or hanging up on.

If the barrel drops into the slide without any real resistance, then stoning the horizontal surface on the bottom of the barrel lug is what you'll likely be addressing to reduce the vertical tightness between frame locking block and the inside top of the slide.
The new Swenson barrel drops right in (tightly) but is this the surface your mentioning
1684211741663.png

Yup.

Get this right and you might end up with a very accurate pistol.
Even with the Swenson barrel its probably the most accurate pistol I have.

That surface is suspect, ive tried to smooth it out but scared to do any fitting. That surface measures .003" more than my Alpha barrel.

Absolutely. And you can't beat the tolerances and quality Radian produces.
Nice, appreciate the recommendation. Those are a lot more but I like the sreamlined comp design on those.
I should consider a high end barrel in hopes I wont have to do any fitting and be done with this build....

Nice, appreciate the recommendation. Those are a lot more but I like the sreamlined comp design on those.
I should consider a high end barrel in hopes I wont have to do any fitting and be done with this build....
Radian customer service leaves a lot to be desired if for some reason an out of spec part gets through QC though. It doesn't happen often though.

FWIW I emailed Alpha Shooting Sports with my issue and asking for an exchange.

@arakboss I know you have an Alpha slide and barrel and had some issues you might be interested in how they respond to my request.
I used my Alpha Shooting Sports slide assy on Factory G23 frame and it worked fine. I believe my Dagger frame locking block is the problem. I have the earlier version of locking block that was evidently causing other people problems as well. They have a version 3 which I am going to try and get my hands on.

I used my Alpha Shooting Sports slide assy on Factory G23 frame and it worked fine. I believe my Dagger frame locking block is the problem. I have the earlier version of locking block that was evidently causing other people problems as well. They have a version 3 which I am going to try and get my hands on.
I thought the Alpha slide assembly was well done. I think I got unlucky is all with my barrel chamber. Id like to get a replacement barrel from them but we will see.

the cheap Swenson barrel I replaced it with is every bit as equal a tack driver in accuracy and so far Im up around 200rds without a failure.

My problem with Alpha's warranty policy is that they charge you money if they don't find a problem with the components you send in for them to look at.

"Warranty claims resulting in no issues found will be subject to $50 an hour service charge plus return shipping costs."
Well, they sent me a return shipping label and now a replacement barrel no questions asked. Arrived today.

Upon inspection the Fiocchi rounds I set aside still dont plunk in the new barrel and sit proud of the barrel hood. Of course... I need to test fire it to really know but Im disappointed the Fiocchi rounds dont drop in, its as if nothings different.

mini update on the cheap Swenson barrel, its up around 200rds now trouble free. It still isn't a smooth cycling as the Alpha barrel but its shooting fine. The Fiocchi rounds easily drop in and out no problem. I think cycling the Swenson barrel has broken it in a bit.

1686878841340.png

after the couple week pause and looking at this with a fresh mind my guess is Im highly doubtful Alpha would send me another barrel with the same issue....
So that thought makes me rethink its the Fiocci ammo.

Did I say that blue markers were your friend?

Mark up the rounds while doing these experiments.

If you retrieve the rounds after the first experiment and there are 2 lines clearly on the case, it's rubbing really hard against the feed lips trying to get into the chamber.

Second experiment with a blue round should show marks where the chamber is tight on either the case or bullet.
@Reno I think you were right here.... this is one of the Fiocchi rounds that jammed the old Alpha barrel. This still sits high in the new Alpha barrel. So I colored it up with a sharpie and plunked it in, pressed it down. Had to pry it out... it looks like the ogive is wedging into the lands or whatever part of the chamber that is past the case rim.
I wonder if I was to pull this bullet (not fire it) if the case would drop flush into the new Alpha barrel chamber. Would that prove its the ammo?
But then why would this one fit in my Sig 9mm barrel and the Swenson barrel...?

1686881813574.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top