JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep, a turret press falls between a single stage and a progressive.
More convenient that a single and not as fast as a progressive.
Redding T-7 seems to get the most positive reviews in the turret press category.
Built like a tank.
All turret presses are single stage C presses.. unless it's a Lee.

Not exactly, LOL.
A turret can hold up to 7 dies at once while a single holds one die.
It functions like a single but it is not a single. It fits the niche between single and progressive.
It is more convenient and some want that convenience.
If I wanted that "convenience" I'd get quick change bushings for a single stage O press.. it'd be just as fast, and not be a rickety C press.
no thanks

Man, the comment about no distractions is SPOT ON!

A few weeks ago the kids (twin 8yo's) had a friend over for the night. Figured it was a good time to get a bunch of bullets loaded up. Turns out this kid is fascinated w/guns and shooting (more so than my son) and found every opportunity he could to come down and hang out in the reloading room. I have an open door policy and don't mind looky lous but this kid wanted to touch everything. I let him pull the handle and put some cases on the press but with the 3 of them and the dog in there it got to be too much. I kept trying to sneak away. I told myself I wanted to get 400 9's done. Took pretty much all day but I got it done. Like once every few years I'll get a squib, super rare, I'm pretty anal when loading. I had one in the batch from that day.

Speaking of squibs. Some guys will say "never happens to me" and you know, they might be right. But MOST people I know that reload will experience one at some point. It can be a really bad thing or relatively benign. In my case, not a big deal. If EVER you pull the trigger, nothing happens but you have an empty case in the chamber CHECK THE BORE. Could be nothing but it aint hard to look down the barrel or stick something in there to make sure it's clear. It happened to my dad w/factory load while hunting one time, fortunately we checked as a hi-pressure round hitting a bullet stuck in the barrel can be ugly. We didn't have a rod so he was done for the day. Not a bad idea to keep a rod in your range bag. And then there are double charges......haven't been there but...... (don't have any wood near by to knock on so not going down that road).

700-X is a double-base powder (flake) so as a group they won't meter that well for small charges.
However, 700-X is an outstanding powder for shotgun....clean burning and good pressures for trap/skeet type loads.

I have loaded many many 9mm with 700x. Never had a single problem. Just gotta use the right powder measure. :)

So first step,I went out and collected up some brass,about half a 5 gallon bucket.so anyways they were pretty dirty so I put some hot water in the bucket,anyways not sure if it was in the bucket or I picked it up somehow but there some gunk on them now,makes them kinda sticky and werid feeling.got some on my hands to.but it came off with soap and some rubbing alcohol.can I use these on the brass.didnt knownif it would mess it up or anything

So first step,I went out and collected up some brass,about half a 5 gallon bucket.so anyways they were pretty dirty so I put some hot water in the bucket,anyways not sure if it was in the bucket or I picked it up somehow but there some gunk on them now,makes them kinda sticky and werid feeling.got some on my hands to.but it came off with soap and some rubbing alcohol.can I use these on the brass.didnt knownif it would mess it up or anything

That won't hurt them, just make sure they're bone dry before you load any. Eventually you'll want to get a case tumbler to clean them. I just switched to SS media so I have a vibrating type tumbler you're welcome to have if you ever get up here.

Sounds like you have some dirty ol' range pickup brass.
And it also sounds like to need a case tumbler to clean this stuff so that it can be thoroughly inspected.
For my purposes, if it doesn't look like "once fired", I just recycle it.
I don't want another reloader's brass that has already been loaded several times.

It's all once fired,it's a spot me and my friends shoot.but it is really dirty.i have a tumbler on the way with my press.i just don't know if it'll clean this stuff off,I've never used one or seen what it can really clean off.

Okay so take the nasty brass and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with enough hot water to cover it. Add maybe 5 caps full of white vinegar and about 30 drops of dawn. Agitate it and let it sit awhile. Agitate it again. This will loosen a lot of the crud and the vinegar will act on the tarnish on the surface of the brass. Rinse that very well when you are done. When the tumbler shows up get some walnut media and put 8-10 drops of the cartridge polish of your choice in there and run it for about 10 min to spread it around. Then dump 1 caliber of your cleaned brass in and run it for about 2 hours. Walnut is tough and sharp and it will clean 90% of the nasties off and the polish will turn most of the tarnish off. If you want really shiny do the same operation again with corn cobb media.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top