JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cool thanks for the info guys,this forum and everyone on it has been a huge help
You can also use lemishine or citric acid in place of the vinegar. I just figured you were more likely to have vinegar since you are just starting out. If you don't think the brass is clean enough after the first soak hit it again. Just rinse it really well and get it good and dry before you start on the dry tumble part.

I'm not a big fan of "kits" as they usually have stuff in it you will never use or something of lesser quality.
The reason I didn't buy the LNL AP, not a kit, but comes with a $100+ powder measure/linkage that I would never use as there are better stuff available, and have 2 identical RCBS powder measures that came with other progressives, up on a shelf/never used.

The Lee Classic Turret gets great reviews and can be bought stand alone with no "kit", used like a single station or with auto index as a turret.
There's a cheaper version, the Lee Value Turret, without auto index...don't buy it!

Classic Turret
LEE CLASSIC TURRET PRESS STEEL LINKAGE/IRON BASE - Graf & Sons
If you have a kit in mind:
I'm not a fan of the *scale in the kit though:
Lee Classic Turret Reloading Press Kit - Graf & Sons

Grafs' shipping is a flat rate of $7.95
:D
*edit: oops...changed from powder measure to not liking the scale.

I bought a used, Lee Classic Cast single stage press off another member here. The thing is a TANK, works well, has more clearance than my RCBS Rock Crusher, and so I can load 338 Lapua and 338 Edge without having to tip the bullet in on final seating. I currently use it more than my RCBS.
My first progressive was their Loadmaster. I used the heck out of it, and thought it was an awesome value. I gave it to someone who had done a huge favor for me.

I bought a used, Lee Classic Cast single stage press off another member here. The thing is a TANK, works well, has more clearance than my RCBS Rock Crusher, and so I can load 338 Lapua and 338 Edge without having to tip the bullet in on final seating. I currently use it more than my RCBS.
My first progressive was their Loadmaster. I used the heck out of it, and thought it was an awesome value. I gave it to someone who had done a huge favor for me.
That must have been one hell of a favor. I'm pretty sure someone will have to pry my cold dead fingers off my LCT lol.

So first step,I went out and collected up some brass,about half a 5 gallon bucket.so anyways they were pretty dirty so I put some hot water in the bucket,anyways not sure if it was in the bucket or I picked it up somehow but there some gunk on them now,makes them kinda sticky and werid feeling.got some on my hands to.but it came off with soap and some rubbing alcohol.can I use these on the brass.didnt knownif it would mess it up or anything
In addition to your hands, hot soapy water can clean other stuff.. like brass. Make sure you rinse well.
You can do the hot soapy water with lemishine good enough to wind up with clean enough brass for reloading (hose off in colander and buckets outside with agitation, agitate with hot soapy water mix to eye however many times as required.. make sure to rinse well and load when dry.
And someone mentioned "downwind" when manhandling it dry (gigitty).. the primer compound contains lead acetate and is pretty bad stuff and precautions should be taken throughout processing regarding this.

Cool thanks for the info guys,this forum and everyone on it has been a huge help

If it's black and nasty you have to do some extra steps as mentioned above when you run it in dry media. SS pins clean anything off because of the pins and soap used.

I have loaded many many 9mm with 700x. Never had a single problem. Just gotta use the right powder measure. :)

I've loaded 700x using a Lee powder measure, manually tapped the powder measure each time before it dropped a load - routinely 1 grain differences. Used Bullseye, no measurable differences from charge to charge using the Lee powder measure without manually tapping it.

I'll never go back to 700X.

700-X is a double-base powder (flake) so as a group they won't meter that well for small charges.
However, 700-X is an outstanding powder for shotgun....clean burning and good pressures for trap/skeet type loads.

Yes, it does great in my Dillon but not reliable out of my RCBS Uniflow measure. Fortunately I don't use single stage for my pistol loads. :)

I have loaded many many 9mm with 700x. Never had a single problem. Just gotta use the right powder measure. :)

Yeah, I'm sure 700X has it's fan boys, it wouldn't be out there if it didn't. :) I just know that when I was in my "Try everything available" stage that my # of 700x wasn't in the line up for long! I don't think a whole lot of Bullseye either. During the hard times that was on the shelf, and it's THE traditional .38 special powder so it worked good enough.

For the OP I suppose he'll maybe need to learn on his own.....What works, and what's not so good?

If it's black and nasty you have to do some extra steps as mentioned above when you run it in dry media. SS pins clean anything off because of the pins and soap used.
I always decapped first before wet cleaning of any kind, but I know some don't. How do you get the primer pockets dry when you don't decap first? Does the 'warm it in the oven' method cook the water out?

I've loaded 700x using a Lee powder measure, manually tapped the powder measure each time before it dropped a load - routinely 1 grain differences. Used Bullseye, no measurable differences from charge to charge using the Lee powder measure without manually tapping it.

I'll never go back to 700X.

I should have said up to .4 grain overall differences from cartridge to cartridge (up to .2 grains light or heavy) on 4.3 to 5.3 grain charges. Chalk it up to PWI.

I always decapped first before wet cleaning of any kind, but I know some don't. How do you get the primer pockets dry when you don't decap first? Does the 'warm it in the oven' method cook the water out?

With wet pins I do my final rinse in very hot water, then shake them in a towel. Then I leave them sitting for 1, or 2, or 3 days. I'm not usually in a hurry. I always decap rifle brass first, both because the bottleneck cases dry better that way, and I like clean primer pockets for rifles.

I should have said up to .4 grain overall differences from cartridge to cartridge (up to .2 grains light or heavy) on 4.3 to 5.3 grain charges. Chalk it up to PWI.

I can accept .2gr, although I prefer only .1gr. However, most scales have an error factor anyway, especially digital scales. I see this a lot when I test two scales against each other. Remember, this is 9mm pistol I'm talking about, not shooting rifle ammo for accuracy. IMO a factor of .2gr in a pistol load is not a danger.

I guess I haven't had enough coffee this morning... PWI? Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Predominantly White Institution, Perfect World International, Project World Impact, Partnerships With Industry... o_O

Yeah, I'm sure 700X has it's fan boys, it wouldn't be out there if it didn't. :) I just know that when I was in my "Try everything available" stage that my # of 700x wasn't in the line up for long! I don't think a whole lot of Bullseye either. During the hard times that was on the shelf, and it's THE traditional .38 special powder so it worked good enough.

For the OP I suppose he'll maybe need to learn on his own.....What works, and what's not so good?

I never liked Unique nor Bullseye. IMO dirty powders. But they are sure used by a lot of "fan boys". IMO most shotgun powders burn cleaner, except for the Dot line of powders. Typically I buy what I can find, especially during the hard times (dealer at a gun show had a # of really old Unique for $50:eek:), and shotgun powders are generally cheaper. Many, as you mentioned, even list pistol loads on the can.

I can accept .2gr, although I prefer only .1gr. However, most scales have an error factor anyway, especially digital scales. I see this a lot when I test two scales against each other. Remember, this is 9mm pistol I'm talking about, not shooting rifle ammo for accuracy. IMO a factor of .2gr in a pistol load is not a danger.

I guess I haven't had enough coffee this morning... PWI? Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Predominantly White Institution, Perfect World International, Project World Impact, Partnerships With Industry... o_O
Posting While Intoxicated

:)

I'm going to go with Predominantly White Institution. As a PWG I find blaming scale innacuracy on my skin color to be hilarious. I realize I am treading on @Certaindeaf territory here but I'm amused and I can't help it.

I never liked Unique nor Bullseye. IMO dirty powders. But they are sure used by a lot of "fan boys". IMO most shotgun powders burn cleaner, except for the Dot line of powders. Typically I buy what I can find, especially during the hard times (dealer at a gun show had a # of really old Unique for $50:eek:), and shotgun powders are generally cheaper. Many, as you mentioned, even list pistol loads on the can.

I used to be a fanboy, I used exclusively unique and bullseye, when the shortage hit I was forced to use others, that's how I found titegroup, which I still maintain to be an excellent powder. I do still use bullseye for .38 special lead loads, just because I have a lot and it's very accurate, but yes smokey.

I used to be a fanboy, I used exclusively unique and bullseye, when the shortage hit I was forced to use others, that's how I found titegroup, which I still maintain to be an excellent powder. I do still use bullseye for .38 special lead loads, just because I have a lot and it's very accurate, but yes smokey.

Could be just my experience, but a bunch of the older guys I know (older than me, 64, at least) use Unique and Bullseye. Near as i can tell, the reason is because they always have. Not to say that it is bad stuff. :)

Could be just my experience, but a bunch of the older guys I know (older than me, 64, at least) use Unique and Bullseye. Near as i can tell, the reason is because they always have. Not to say that it is bad stuff. :)
It's probably because Vihatouli is hard to spell. lol

An older guy taught me to reload, and that's what he used so that's what I did.

Just because something's been done one way for 50 years and always worked, doesn't mean something else won't work better. And worse case, you just go back to the old way if nothing is better.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top