JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first reloading setup was a small piece of 3/4" plywood (large enough to provide a small table top) lag bolted to a short 4x4 post that I would then clamp into my Rockwell Jawhorse (there are other similar items to this). The reloading press was lag bolted to the 4x4 post too. Works great and pretty easy to assemble and breakdown unit.

I made a portable reloading table out of some old scrap 1 1/8" thick plywood left over from building a larger work bench in my garage, and using a Black and Decker work mate as a base. Put in a T-track from a woodworking store to mount smaller accessories on, and I use an inline fabrication quick change base plate to mount different presses and accessories so I can easily swap stuff around.

Breaks down to be relatively small, clears off as to function as a work table, and is pretty sturdy, and also portable if you need/want to move it around.

One could probably replicate what I have for $150 or so if you pick up a used work mate (I found several on Craigslist), and less if you skipped the inline fab quick change base and mounting plate and t-track, and just bolted your stuff directly to the plywood table top.

IMG_4250.jpeg IMG_4251.jpeg IMG_4252.jpeg IMG_4253.jpeg

Last Edited:
Yup.....I would also venture to believe that the women in your household will NOT be happy with holes drilled into the counter top.

So.....a PORTABLE table is probably in your future.

That being said.......
I like the above "Work Mate" set up.

BUT, I'm perhaps I'll a little skeptical about hanging a press off of the edge of the table top. Yup......my adventures in re-sizing .308W brings up bad memories.

So perhaps, a "mid mounted/raised" solid metal mount? And.....remember to have some flexibility with your design/mounting system for a possible later expansion.

Why?

Because I'd start with a single station. In order to learn.

After awhile, perhaps.....I'd move to a progressive press. But only if.....I found that the single station press too slow to keep up with ammo production demands. Yeah.....it could happen.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
A lot of good ideas have been offered. If you buy everything lightly used (no reason not too) you can do this with a minimum expenditure of cash and find out for yourself if you enjoy reloading. You may be able to barter for a few of the items you will need.
Enjoy the process....

Yup.....I would also venture to believe that the women in your household will NOT be happy with holes drilled into the counter top.

So.....a PORTABLE table is probably in your future.

Aloha, Mark
The only one is my mother, she never ventures out into the kitchen anyway nevermind the pantry. Frankford had a table that looked good but pricey.

Thanks, guys, need time to digest all this.

My first reloading setup was a lower from a roll away tool box. I put a plywood top on it with presses mounted over the ends [to not interfere with the drawers]. I put the heavy lead bullets and loaded ammo in the bottom to make it stable. I could roll it out to load and store it in a closet. I used it in an apt. and again when I was living in a travel trailer.
it might work for you, nothing on the counter or tables. DR

+1 on the portable concept whether with the rolling tool box lower or a workmate type bench.

Not a fan of loading equipment, lead residue, powder debris, etc. on the same surfaces that may also be used for food prep.

RE : The portable Frankford Arsenal reloading table.

I have a first gen. The one with the round base. And, mind you that I sometimes place my feet on the base to hold it.

Anyway.....
It has worked OK. When used with my single station RCBS Rock Chucker or my Lee M1000 progressive when loading pistol straight walled cases (like: 9mm, 38 special and the 45 ACP). However....I use my bench for re-sizing rifle bottle necked cases.

FYI.....IIRC, my last "work mate style" portable bench, USED, cost me about $35 (on CL).

Aloha, Mark

I made a portable reloading table out of some old scrap 1 1/8" thick plywood left over from building a larger work bench in my garage, and using a Black and Decker work mate as a base. Put in a T-track from a woodworking store to mount smaller accessories on, and I use an inline fabrication quick change base plate to mount different presses and accessories so I can easily swap stuff around.

Breaks down to be relatively small, clears off as to function as a work table, and is pretty sturdy, and also portable if you need/want to move it around.

One could probably replicate what I have for $150 or so if you pick up a used work mate (I found several on Craigslist), and less if you skipped the inline fab quick change base and mounting plate and t-track, and just bolted your stuff directly to the plywood table top.

View attachment 1462207View attachment 1462208View attachment 1462209View attachment 1462210
This right here is your solution to your problem. I wouldn't be slapping a Dillon 650 on it but it'll work for a single stage press as shown in the pics.
Good luck DB.

There isn't a lot I can add to this conversation.

Don't suppose that you have to be sitting to do reloading. It's my preference to do it standing.

I'd be uncomfortable reloading any place where food was stored or prepared.

I knew a guy over in Malta, Idaho who did his reloading outside. There was a shed roof built off the back of the house. He had a bench out there where he had his reloading equipment bolted down. All the components he kept inside until he was going to do the actual work. The press, etc., was kept covered up when not in use.

A lack of stability for a press will be discouraging. Whatever arrangement you come up with, aim for the most stable platform that you can create.

Actually, I do have a concrete pad right outside that area, so I could just store things there and set up outside to work--still puts compact storage at a premium though. Can''t leave it all up outside because this is a postage-stamp backyard with nosy and hostile neighbors...

Well, looks like running an unusual caliber in the 1911 I'm building means having to start reloading, and I need advice on getting started with minimal space and budget.

Available space: L-shaped countertop with cabinets, about 6'x10'. Workspace has to be shared with pantry/"kitchen overflow" until I clear the counters enough to move the Sodastream, air fryer and crockpots into the kitchen where they belong and get my mother to quit peeing herself about "fire hazards" every time I plug anyting other than her precious "MUH TEE BEE! DURRRRRRRR....." in.

Viewing from the kitchen door: (I can set up a folding table if needed but not sturdy)View attachment 1462044

These two views re respectively the long and short arms of the L... still have some of my aunt's clutter to work out, plus getting the pantry and mom's supplies organized.

View attachment 1462042 View attachment 1462043

Ideally I' like to break the buildup down into bites from ~$50-200 at one time, and it all needs to break down and store in the cupboards... any of our apartment-dweller member have suggestions here?
My first suggestion is to get a vacuum and a broom w/dustpan…. o_O

;):D

Gee, thanks, Captain Obvious. :p I've tried to conserve the house as it was when we moved in, but my mother generates more crap to deal with than I have energy to deal with it with so it's "a little here and a little there and keep things running by triage."

For nearly a decade in the70's I used a 34" 4x4 stood up right as a bench to pound on, with a base not unlike a wood Christmas tree stand but a box around the edge for the loaders, the powders and stuff nested in it. a hammer and three different calibers of lee loaders was all the tools I needed. at the time I paid about 14 to 16 bucks each .(I see the price has gone up some) Albeit I was only neck sizing the rifle calibers, (The one pistol was 45 colt), but then I only had just the three guns and none were semi autos. It all fit tidily in the corner of the closet , Since it only had a 4X4 top I used a folding TV tray to set the stuff in use on while loading,

1690854511163.png

Anybody can load very adequate stuff though somewhat limited in powders that will work with the scoop provided.
I eventually bought a scoop set, it comes with a sliding scale that lets you select what scoop for different powders. nearly a hundred powders listed and over a thousand different loads.
1690854928129.png which allowed me to expand my powder availability considerably. fifty years later I still use the scoops today to get close to my load then a manual trickler to finish up on my balance beam scale. I've been mocked by some but when just starting married life space limited and money was thin, I still was able to shoot almost every weekend, hunt with success, and hardly a dent in household income or guilt for spending the scarce resources we had on myself.

Well, looks like running an unusual caliber in the 1911 I'm building means having to start reloading, and I need advice on getting started with minimal space and budget.

Available space: L-shaped countertop with cabinets, about 6'x10'. Workspace has to be shared with pantry/"kitchen overflow" until I clear the counters enough to move the Sodastream, air fryer and crockpots into the kitchen where they belong and get my mother to quit peeing herself about "fire hazards" every time I plug anyting other than her precious "MUH TEE BEE! DURRRRRRRR....." in.

Viewing from the kitchen door: (I can set up a folding table if needed but not sturdy)View attachment 1462044

These two views re respectively the long and short arms of the L... still have some of my aunt's clutter to work out, plus getting the pantry and mom's supplies organized.

Ideally I' like to break the buildup down into bites from ~$50-200 at one time, and it all needs to break down and store in the cupboards... any of our apartment-dweller member have suggestions here?

I bought a 3'x3' metal frame table with a 1 " thick press oars top metal frame table from a second hand shop for $15.00 it weighs about 60 pounds. It is heave enough that it has held up for 20 years now. It doesn't jump or move resizing even my biggest calibers (.45-70). It's big enough to have the powder scale, powder trickler and press with enough working space to do everything. I built my own Tumbler from an 18 inch 1x6 plank. Two #10 tin cans one on each end and a 110 volt fan motor with an off center 6 Oz fishing weight fixed to the spindle on the motor. It works much faster than a Tumbler for cleaning the casings.
The reason I got into reloading was simple. I bought a .455 Webley for $40.00. That was my first revolver. It shot .45 ACP with half moon clips. I was 18 years old at the time. When I went to the sporting goods store to buy a box of ammo I was refused because I was 18, not 21. So I bought an R.C.B.S. press and .45 acp died bullets, primers, powder and a Speer reloading manual. Have been reloading, even casting my own lead bullets.
Be aware, if you cast your own bullets do so in the garage, or in a room with the door closed and a window open and a fan to blow the smoke out. For a bunch of years I casted bullets with the door and windows closed. My job was driving a gasoline tanker. Once every rwo years I had to get a D.O.T. physical to keep my class A driver's license. They always took blood to test for drugs. But they came back and asked how I got lead poisoning driving. I told them about casting lead. They were stunned. So I still cast bullets, but with windows open and a fan on. Right now in my garage there are 10 cases of 1,000 rounds each of .380. 9mm, .38 special, .357 mag .45 acp, .45 long colt, .223, .30 carbine, 30-30, .308, .30-06, and .45-70. So one of these days I'm going to go shooting.

Gee, thanks, Captain Obvious. :p I've tried to conserve the house as it was when we moved in, but my mother generates more crap to deal with than I have energy to deal with it with so it's "a little here and a little there and keep things running by triage."
My mom has dementia, which was (primarily) caused by strokes some years ago, which was caused by blood-clots, which was caused by her getting her leg grievously crushed, which was caused by her managing to tip about 10 4'x12' sheets of Sheetrock that were leaning against a wall over on herself, which was caused by her being a stubborn a$$ed old broad who was told she shouldn't mess with that stack, to which… she (as usual) wouldn't be told.

Plus she's always been a hoarder/junk collector, which was made 10x worse by her dementia because she keeps buying the same crap over and over and over…. so I feel where you're coming from!

I could see my mother being that stubborn... in which case her mobility impairment keeping her butt-rooted in her favorite Barcalounger limits her mischief and makes my life easier aside from the neverending braying.

LOL, Buddy of mine got a press to start rolling after I showed him how. Next time I went over to see how it was going I could see a few spent primers on the kitchen floor. I asked him "So is the other half complaining about the primers on the floor?" He smiled and said "OH YES!" I told him one of those little canister vac's was the next thing to buy. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top