JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a cratered primer with brass flowing to the ejector cut (note mark over the "F")....another sign of high pressure.
View attachment 344320
So @Josh89 this pic from @DirectDrive is really good. Sometimes you can get cratering like that from a loose firing pin hole, and it may or may not be due to overpressure. But the cut mark over the F on the headstamp and the bolt face marks make it pretty clear. That's the kind of stuff your looking for, though it's pretty rare to se that in pistol.

Here's a cratered primer with brass flowing to the ejector cut (note mark over the "F")....another sign of high pressure.
View attachment 344320
Not always. (On the primer) but always when the ejector is stamped but the stamped ejector can also be more a sign of excessive headspace than over pressure.

Remington 700's as of lately leave a crater because there is like .004" of slop around the firing pin and the hole in the bolt.

Now y'all have done it!!!!! Thanks a lot....:p
I just ordered this with 1 extra turret, 2 risers for the powder throwers & an extra powder thrower .

LEE PRECISION 4 HOLE TURRET PRESS DELUXE KIT | Brownells

Keep going homie. Or stop now...

IMG_2258.JPG

Not always. (On the primer) but always when the ejector is stamped but the stamped ejector can also be more a sign of excessive headspace than over pressure.

Remington 700's as of lately leave a crater because there is like .004" of slop around the firing pin and the hole in the bolt.
True about the headspace, which is a whole nother problem. I think the point is that watching your brass is a good idea.
I have a savage Axis 22-250 that likes to crater with a sloppy firing pin with average pressures. But the primers start getting flatter and the bolt face marks let me know when I'm approaching max.

Now y'all have done it!!!!! Thanks a lot....:p
I just ordered this with 1 extra turret, 2 risers for the powder throwers & an extra powder thrower .

LEE PRECISION 4 HOLE TURRET PRESS DELUXE KIT | Brownells
Inline Fabrication makes a nice auto eject system that works really well For the LCT. If you want to speed up your pistol and .223 production it's an excellent value. I was skeptical before I added it to my press but I really like it.

Not always. (On the primer) but always when the ejector is stamped but the stamped ejector can also be more a sign of excessive headspace. than over pressure.

Any unsupported area of the bolt face will yield high pressure clues, because as we know, brass "flows" every time it is hit with pressure and will find those areas.
The ejector cut and an oversize primer hole are unsupported areas of the bolt face.
So in summary, get to know your particular firearm and what "normal" spent brass looks like.

;)

I like having a lot of different calibers, gives you variety when you go shooting, at the moment I load for about 13 calibers but I add more all the time, several of those I don't own guns for but I load for friends. The nice thing is you can shoot odd ball or expensive calibers for not much more than common ones, when I use my own cast bullets the difference in price between 45 and .44 Magnum is about 15 grains of powder, about 5 cents a round.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top