JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, looks like running an unusual caliber in the 1911 I'm building means having to start reloading, and I need advice on getting started with minimal space and budget.

Available space: L-shaped countertop with cabinets, about 6'x10'. Workspace has to be shared with pantry/"kitchen overflow" until I clear the counters enough to move the Sodastream, air fryer and crockpots into the kitchen where they belong and get my mother to quit peeing herself about "fire hazards" every time I plug anyting other than her precious "MUH TEE BEE! DURRRRRRRR....." in.

Viewing from the kitchen door: (I can set up a folding table if needed but not sturdy) 20230729_174634.jpg

These two views re respectively the long and short arms of the L... still have some of my aunt's clutter to work out, plus getting the pantry and mom's supplies organized.

20230729_174713.jpg 20230729_174652.jpg

Ideally I' like to break the buildup down into bites from ~$50-200 at one time, and it all needs to break down and store in the cupboards... any of our apartment-dweller member have suggestions here?

Last Edited:
A 2 to 4 foot counter space is all you really need. If you've got cabnits to use as well, that works better. Depending on how much stuff you get, you can fit everything in a 2 door cabnit for storage.

Well, looks like running an unusual caliber in the 1911 I'm building means having to start reloading, and I need advice on getting started with minimal space and budget.
460 Rowland?

Problem is I don't have any way to bolt anything down, and the cabinets preclude clamping.
Go to Home Depot, buy a piece of 1/2 to 3/4" plywood for floors. have them cut it to your countertop size.
place it on top of the countertop, and use wood screws to secure it in place. Bold your new reloading press to the plywood.

I don't have mine clamped down, I attached it to 2 2x6 and added weight to the other end. I did it this way so that the press is portable if needed. There are also counter top mounting systems that don't require bolting or clamping to a counter or bench top but they are more expensive.

460 Rowland?

Go to Home Depot, buy a piece of 1/2 to 3/4" plywood for floors. have them cut it to your countertop size.
place it on top of the countertop, and use wood screws to secure it in place. Bold your new reloading press to the plywood.
.450 SMC actually, it's basically an improved .45 Super. Countertop is plywood, but the concern is more that even though my aunt specifically left me the house in her will and said so to everyone who knew her, the will was nowhere to be found which means probate says my mom gets the entire estate as senior surviving relative, and she thinks the entire purpose of her existence is to veto and otherwise obstruct anything I set out to do even when it's something she herself has said needs doing. Ever had one of those family members who seems to think their reason for being is to crap in everyone else's cocoa puffs at every opportunity?

My first "reloading station" was a Black and Decker Workmate for the press, kitchen table for everything else. At the time, I only reloaded for pistols with a Partner Press.

Available space: L-shaped countertop with cabinets, about 6'x10'. Workspace has to be shared with pantry/"kitchen overflow" until I clear the counters enough to move the Sodastream, air fryer and crockpots into the kitchen where they belong and get my mother to quit peeing herself about "fire hazards" every time I plug anyting other than her precious "MUH TEE BEE! DURRRRRRRR....." in.

Viewing from the kitchen door: (I can set up a folding table if needed but not sturdy)View attachment 1462044

These two views re respectively the long and short arms of the L... still have some of my aunt's clutter to work out, plus getting the pantry and mom's supplies organized.

View attachment 1462042 View attachment 1462043

Ideally I' like to break the buildup down into bites from ~$50-200 at one time, and it all needs to break down and store in the cupboards... any of our apartment-dweller member have suggestions here?
backing up a minute, is this the houses actual kitchen or a spare pantry room?

Since you can't bolt to the countertops maybe commandeer part of the shelving structure if it's sturdy enough.
Mine is an 8×8 lagged between two studs to hold the press and then a small light-duty folding leaf just to hold some brass and whatnot. I love it. I used to have like 4'x20' heavy duty work bench space and don't miss it at all.
To the right of the press is a long workbench but I don't necessarily use it for reloading per se.

20190618_182058.jpg

I don't have mine clamped down, I attached it to 2 2x6 and added weight to the other end. I did it this way so that the press is portable if needed. There are also counter top mounting systems that don't require bolting or clamping to a counter or bench top but they are more expensive.
Many times I've mounted a press to a piece of plywood using countersunk piano bolts and then clamped the plywood to a countertop I couldn't drill into..

Since you can't bolt to the countertops maybe commandeer part of the shelving structure if it's sturdy enough.
Mine is an 8×8 lagged between two studs to hold the press and then a small light-duty folding leaf just to hold some brass and whatnot. I love it. I used to have like 4'x20' heavy duty work bench space and don't miss it at all.
Frankly, CD, with the poor grade pressboard and plywood Grandpa used for shelves and how some are sagging and the wood beams are cracking every day I woer what keeps it up. Removal and replacement is one of the things on my "Home Improvement Projects" list...

Viewing from the kitchen door: (I can set up a folding table if needed but not sturdy)View attachment 1462044

View attachment 1462042 View attachment 1462043

When I first took up rolling I was using a good piece of plywood that I just C-Clamped to the kitchen table. Did it this way until I was sure I wanted to do it more then finally just took a small desk and made it a bench. I learned the C-Clamp thing from an Uncle who had done it for a LONG time. He only rolled his own shotgun shells. So only set the thing up when he needed some ammo. Would make what he needed, take it off the table and put it away.

dang, factory ammo is expensive...

My first reloading setup was a lower from a roll away tool box. I put a plywood top on it with presses mounted over the ends [to not interfere with the drawers]. I put the heavy lead bullets and loaded ammo in the bottom to make it stable. I could roll it out to load and store it in a closet. I used it in an apt. and again when I was living in a travel trailer.
it might work for you, nothing on the counter or tables. DR

Frankly, CD, with the poor grade pressboard and plywood Grandpa used for shelves and how some are sagging and the wood beams are cracking every day I woer what keeps it up. Removal and replacement is one of the things on my "Home Improvement Projects" list...
It looks like the 2x4 uprights could be scabbed onto pretty easily is what I'm saying.. with not press board.

dang, factory ammo is expensive...
Yeah... the intent is .45ACP +P for training, after initial training and testing SMC only for "Serious Work."

CD, perhaps, and maybe they could be salvaged for a rebuild since the shelves aren't continuous. Get all the Mason jars out and replace that last section's shelves behind the pegboards with at least 1/2" pine and that might make a decent hard-mount site.

Yeah... the intent is .45ACP +P for training, after initial training and testing SMC only for "Serious Work."

CD, perhaps, and maybe they could be salvaged for a rebuild since the shelves aren't continuous. Get all the Mason jars out and replace that last section's shelves behind the pegboards with at least 1/2" pine and that might make a decent hard-mount site.
Yep, figure your height, remove those 1x1 cleats etc, toss, replace w 2x4 cleats front, sides and back.. the back try to anchor into an existing wall stud, span with ply or 1x planking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top