JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL, Buddy of mine got a press to start rolling after I showed him how. Next time I went over to see how it was going I could see a few spent primers on the kitchen floor. I asked him "So is the other half complaining about the primers on the floor?" He smiled and said "OH YES!" I told him one of those little canister vac's was the next thing to buy. :D
I have the Frankford hand deprimer that traps the evil little b*stards in a jar. :)

Well, looks like running an unusual caliber in the 1911 I'm building means having to start reloading, and I need advice on getting started with minimal space and budget.

Available space: L-shaped countertop with cabinets, about 6'x10'. Workspace has to be shared with pantry/"kitchen overflow" until I clear the counters enough to move the Sodastream, air fryer and crockpots into the kitchen where they belong and get my mother to quit peeing herself about "fire hazards" every time I plug anyting other than her precious "MUH TEE BEE! DURRRRRRRR....." in.

Viewing from the kitchen door: (I can set up a folding table if needed but not sturdy)View attachment 1462044

These two views re respectively the long and short arms of the L... still have some of my aunt's clutter to work out, plus getting the pantry and mom's supplies organized.

View attachment 1462042 View attachment 1462043

Ideally I' like to break the buildup down into bites from ~$50-200 at one time, and it all needs to break down and store in the cupboards... any of our apartment-dweller member have suggestions here?
I bought a 3' square table with an inch thick pressboard top that is formica with a metal base from a used office supply store for 15 bucks. It has worked great for 20 years. It's big enough for the press, and the powder trickler and everything. Have loaded thousands of rounds on that table. All with a single stage press. From .32 acp to .45 long colt, .223 to .45-70. In the 40 plus years I have been reloading I figure I have saved $2,000.00 in ammo cost. I also cast my own handgun bullets. But try to keep velocities under 1200 feet per second. So the bullets don't start to melt on their way out if the barrel. That's where the old saying comes from...Get The Lead Out.

Doesn't look like a great spot for reloading since the space has a lot going on that shouldn't be mixed with reloading, but if you have enough space to set up a TV tray, you have enough space to reload.

I vote a Dillon 550, because that's what I enjoy reloading with after starting with a single stage and it reduces needing a powder drop set up separately than the press.

"The Cameron" (spelling) is a nifty little portable bench that works well to attach a press to and be set on top of another space. You could build one easy enough with access to some tools,I did.

All the portable workbench ideas are fine. You'd just need to have it properly weighed down to prevent any rocking or movement during operation.

You might find a skinny desk someone is getting rid of and plop that in the room and weigh it down. Screw your press into it and call it good. I found a sturdy desk being given away on craiglist and used that.

As far as equipment goes:

A scale and press will get you started, some people will say books, but powder manufacturers will give you their tested load data for free over the internet. The learning curve to do the whole thing can be done by reading / watching free content on the internet.

My suggestion: buy plastic storage containers to organize and a label maker. Ammo cans to store brass.
Labelmaker in hand, several ammo cans in the storage unit or buried in boxes that need sorting. Good points. :) I already buy so many plastic boxes that Flambeau, Plano and Iris should be issuing me company stock or at least letting me have a wholesale account... lol

Actually, I do have a concrete pad right outside that area, so I could just store things there and set up outside to work--still puts compact storage at a premium though. Can''t leave it all up outside because this is a postage-stamp backyard with nosy and hostile neighbors...
It's advisable to have that pad covered against the weather, if it isn't already. If it isn't, it would be easy enough to get some metal roofing and lumber to build a basic shed roof over it. For privacy from the neighbors, goofy as it sounds, you could put up a shower curtain or whatever suspended from the shed roof that would shield your activity from prying eyes.

but then I only had just the three guns
Way ahead of your time, eh?

lee loaders
My first reloading was shot shell, completely without guidance. Used Lyman Load-all, from the swap meet,( Me: "you mean shot and powder bushings come in different sizes?"), came loose in a ratty cardboard box with a bunch of loose stuff. Somewhere I got the basic Lyman shot shell loading book, used of course. That was in 1974.

Around 1977, I started out loading centerfire using the Lee Loaders,. I had .38 Special, 7.7mm Japanese, and 8mm Mauser. I remember having a can of DuPont 4064 for the 7.7 and 8mm but I forget what powder I used for .38 Special. This activity didn't last very long. I didn't start serious centerfire handloading until 1983, when my older cousin took me under his wing and showed me the real deal, starting with pistol, then going on to rifle. It helps to have a mentor.

There is a thing about reloading and quality. Within the limits of safety, you can choose your skill level. My cousin was pretty good at what he did in reloading, but he reached a plateau that I went on to exceed. Which involves not only manual skills but knowledge.

It's advisable to have that pad covered against the weather, if it isn't already. If it isn't, it would be easy enough to get some metal roofing and lumber to build a basic shed roof over it. For privacy from the neighbors, goofy as it sounds, you could put up a shower curtain or whatever suspended from the shed roof that would shield your activity from prying eyes.
My bad, for clarity I meant "store inside work outside." Or I have an enclosed back porch... don't wanna leave anything valuable out there though.

Get better blinds or curtains. The average Joe typically won't know what reloading equipment looks like but if they see brass cartridges on the counter it means guns are stored inside.

Edit: also something to prevent the window from opening from the outside.

Sadly if people can see the stuff I too would NOT want it left out there. Last thing you want is to come home and find some asshat has stolen the stuff :mad:
Sometimes when I am reloading outside a mm d I have people watching me over the fence, I dray my .45 from the shoulder holster and set it on the reloading table so they can see it. I always have it with me. They usually stop watching.
Being retired I don't have a lot of places to go, so I don't worry much about breaking. Besides we live on a flag lot 100 yards off the road, and have family living in the house up by the street. Plus motion sensors along the driveway. So we know when someone is coming here.

A 2 to 4 foot counter space is all you really need. If you've got cabnits to use as well, that works better. Depending on how much stuff you get, you can fit everything in a 2 door cabnit for storage.
I went to a place called City Liquidadators and bought a 50 pound 3x3 foot table. Mounted the press on it, and started reloading. It has worked great for 20 years now. If I want to take it outside I grab the hand truck and wheel it out. It is heavy enough not to bounce even when reloading 45-70 cartridges. My tumbler is made from a board, a 3 pound motor with a chunk of lead on the pully held on with a hose clamp, and 2 #10 cans to hold the brass and tumbling media. It hangs fron the celing in my shop and takes about 15 minutes for the brass to be looking like new. I mix a little bit of brasso polish to it.
Anyway. I had all the stuff on hand to build it, so it was basically free.

Sometimes when I am reloading outside a mm d I have people watching me over the fence, I dray my .45 from the shoulder holster and set it on the reloading table so they can see it. I always have it with me. They usually stop watching.
Being retired I don't have a lot of places to go, so I don't worry much about breaking. Besides we live on a flag lot 100 yards off the road, and have family living in the house up by the street. Plus motion sensors along the driveway. So we know when someone is coming here.
I don't leave the stuff outside. 20 years ago we were not inside the city limits. There were stock fences, and livestock all around. Everybody had at least a acre for their lot. I used to shoot .22 rifles in the back yard. With a home made suppressor I could shoot sub sonic .22's all day long and nobody could hear it but me. Can't do that anymore. We still have an acre, but are surrounded by 50 x 100 ft lots. Lots of people and kids. So now I have to go to a range to shoot. Bummer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top