JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been researching for the last month,and boy is a lot of this confusing.im hoping once I start doing it it will all make more since.but I was wondering if a hornaday lock and load app would be to much for a beginner.i was also looking at a turret press as well.ill mostly be reloading 223,9mm,380 and 45 acp with once fired brass.so if anyone can give me a good recommendation or advice,maybe tools that I'll need that might not be mentioned right away.thanks for the help guys.

Are you sure? Once you fall off into the abyss, it's very hard to get out.

If so, here is some info: Turret presses are 4 pulls on the lever for 1 cartridge. Progressive presses are 1:1 once they get moving. If you are going to do a lot of loading get a progressive. If you are an occasional loader, a turret might be the best.

I started with a Lee 4hole turret @7 years ago and I survived. ALL presses have strengths and weaknesses. Customer service will be a consideration.

You have a nominal ton of info to digest; small bites and don't insist on brand new of everything.

You won't go wrong with a hornady lock-n- load. I hear the auto primer feed is real finiky, I don't know haven't bought one. As far a changing dies though, I really like not having to re-adjust every time. There is no end to the list of things you will "need" for reloading. I know, because I have been chasing the end of that mythical list for 40 years:p. If you're married, seperate bank accounts help:D.

Are you sure? Once you fall off into the abyss, it's very hard to get out.

If so, here is some info: Turret presses are 4 pulls on the lever for 1 cartridge. Progressive presses are 1:1 once they get moving. If you are going to do a lot of loading get a progressive. If you are an occasional loader, a turret might be the best.

I started with a Lee 4hole turret @7 years ago and I survived. ALL presses have strengths and weaknesses. Customer service will be a consideration.

You have a nominal ton of info to digest; small bites and don't insist on brand new of everything.

I already fell into the abyss about 20 years ago when I shot my dads 22 revolver.

Find a mentor to show/teach you.
I lived in your area, in another life, and recall someone conducted a reloading class there...try and find it.
Now there's lots of vids online specific to every model/brand.
I have read about one guy who posts excellent vids about the LNL.
I watched them while researching a new press.
This guy:
:D

Last Edited:
I already fell into the abyss about 20 years ago when I shot my dads 22 revolver.
Well you wont be reloading for that revolver, but the LNL AP is a great press. It is what I started on last year (and still use) because I didn't want to buy a single stage and then outgrow it. Progressives have a steeper learning curve but if you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be a problem if you take it slow. Read up on the previous threads in the reloading section and chime in on some of them if you have questions. I have found this to be a great resource for experience and information. Load data is available online, books are nice but its all online as well.

Good luck!

So, since you have already admitted to falling in the abyss, I am going to throw my two cents worth out there.

I've spent the last 35 years reloading on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker and it's worked well for me. I primarily shot rifle rounds however and let's face it; if you have 100 7mm Mag rounds and you can only shoot 10 at a time before your shoulder gives out and/or the barrel over heats, you will be awhile going through those 100 rounds.
When I became more involved with handgun shooting, it became obvious that I could shoot in one evening what it took 3 evenings to load on a single stage. I did a ton of research and opted for the Hornady LNL AP. It's by all accounts a great press, and while Dillon is fantastic as well, the money to change calibers on the Dillon gave me pause since I am constantly changing between 357, 45 acp, and 40 s&w....now it seems I will be picking up another caliber for my future son-in-law as well...

I still load my rifle rounds on my single stage, and a single stage is nice for working up that sweet spot load for your particular weapon.

Personally, if you have never reloaded before, I would look around for a decent single stage press and start there to get the basics and "feel" for reloading. There is a lot going on with a progressive, and I think having the basics down pat before moving to a progressive lowered the learning curve, and like I said, the single stage I still use.. I think most guys probably own both from what I have observed.

So I've been researching for the last month,and boy is a lot of this confusing.im hoping once I start doing it it will all make more since.but I was wondering if a hornaday lock and load app would be to much for a beginner.i was also looking at a turret press as well.ill mostly be reloading 223,9mm,380 and 45 acp with once fired brass.so if anyone can give me a good recommendation or advice,maybe tools that I'll need that might not be mentioned right away.thanks for the help guys.
Those cartridges you list are "volume" cartridges....you tend to shoot a lot of those on range day.
As opposed to a hunting rifle cartridge, for example.

Having said that, you will quickly out-grow a single stage but if you get into hunting (or target) rifles, the single stage is great.
With your cartridge list, I would look at a turret press for starters.

I would not jump into a progressive press until you learn all of the required steps on a single stage or on a turret.
In addition to the Load Data, the Lyman manual has over 100 pages of "How To" information.
The latest edition is the 50th and it's about $28 for the hard cover edition....and worth it.

I don't have any personal experience with this setup, however I agree that Lyman is a good reputation company. Additionally, a turret press is a nice option as you can run it as a single stage initially, get the process down, and then work into using it as a turret operation.

A buddy has used the T-mag for ages for pistol (9mm & 45ACP) and rifle (222 Rem, 223, 308, 338 WM). I haven't asked, but I'd bet he chews through >1000 rounds of 45 per month. He upgraded to the LnL AP last year for Pistol.
Both are fine products.
[edit] Welcome to a very relaxing hobby, second only to shooting.

I started reloading on a Dillion 550, and have continued with Dillion for the past 25+ years..

If you are going to load alot, then a progressive loader is the way to go..

Starting with a single stage reloader, will save you money, and always be useful, even if you go to a progressive press.

Still you have many choices, if you have a good friend who will help, then see what he uses.. Always best to have others insite:)

My hornady l-n-l is the classic single stage. I'd bet ya I can swap from a resizing die to a seating die as fast as most can turn a turrett, except for maybe some of the fastest of the fast press slingers:eek:
You're getting good advice on here from good folks. Take it all in, chew on it a while and decide.:)

The Hornady progressive is an excellent press ( one I'll probably be adding as well for higher volume) but for learning a progressive can be difficult to get used to, especially if you have no one teaching you.

For that reason I usually suggest someone learn on a turret or single stage press, the lee classic cast turret kit is a good value, will come with nearly everything you need, and unless you are shooting thousands of rounds a month will keep up with volume. I use mine to load everything from basic pistol calibers, about 200 rounds per hour, to precision .223 and black powder .45-70 govt ammo. It works very well in either turret or single stage mode.

Amazon.com : Lee Precision Classic Turret Press Kit : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Thanks for all the info guys.

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Amazon.com : Lyman T-Mag Expert Kit Deluxe with 1500 Micro-Touch Scale : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

I think it has most of the stuff I need to start besides powder and stuff.from what I've seen and read Lyman seems to have a descent reputation.

I'm not a big fan of "kits" as they usually have stuff in it you will never use or something of lesser quality.
The reason I didn't buy the LNL AP, not a kit, but comes with a $100+ powder measure/linkage that I would never use as there are better stuff available, and have 2 identical RCBS powder measures that came with other progressives, up on a shelf/never used.

The Lee Classic Turret gets great reviews and can be bought stand alone with no "kit", used like a single station or with auto index as a turret.
There's a cheaper version, the Lee Value Turret, without auto index...don't buy it!

Classic Turret
LEE CLASSIC TURRET PRESS STEEL LINKAGE/IRON BASE - Graf & Sons
If you have a kit in mind:
I'm not a fan of the *scale in the kit though:
Lee Classic Turret Reloading Press Kit - Graf & Sons

Grafs' shipping is a flat rate of $7.95
*edit: oops...changed from powder measure to not liking the scale.

Last Edited:
The Lee Classic Turret gets great reviews and can be bought stand alone with no "kit", used like a single station or with auto index as a turret.
There's a cheaper version, the Lee Value Turret, without auto index...don't buy it!

Classic Turret
LEE CLASSIC TURRET PRESS STEEL LINKAGE/IRON BASE - Graf & Sons
If you have a kit in mind:
I'm not a fan of the powder measure in the kit though:
Lee Classic Turret Reloading Press Kit - Graf & Sons

Grafs' shipping is a flat rate of $7.95

Agreed the cheap lee turret is a terrible press, the cast iron press is the way to go.

That grafs kit comes with the old powder measure, with the disks, which works well but you're sort of stuck with whatever charge you end up with. The amazon kit comes with the new drum measure, which is very excellent and infinitely adjustable.

Agreed the cheap lee turret is a terrible press, the cast iron press is the way to go.

That grafs kit comes with the old powder measure, with the disks, which works well but you're sort of stuck with whatever charge you end up with. The amazon kit comes with the new drum measure, which is very excellent and infinitely adjustable.
I have both measures and prefer the auto disc for pistol because you can operate it manually, I find the spring on the Auto Drum too stiff.
Lee makes/sells an adjustable slide for the Auto Disc if prefered, and I have one too, but have yet to use it.
I like to thro 10 loads to weigh and then average when dealing with small amounts, even in an adjustable measure.
For 9mm and 45ACP, I made a Long case that'll hold 10 charges, and fit between the shell plate and exp/powder drop die:
9BigCase.JPG

So if I'm looking for 4.3 grains, I'll thro 10 loads into that case and set my scale for 43 grains (4.3x10).
Weigh it and adjust the measure accordingly.
I find this "weigh" easier than chasing/adjusting for a 0.1 grain, measuring a single thro.
Josh89: Sorry for the drift here,

Last Edited:
I used the disk for years and still do since I have a lot of my standard high volume pistol loads set up with certain disks.

I recently got the auto drum and like it a lot because it is more adjustable. It took some finicking to get it to work smoothly without the dumb safety thing.

I use both on press with powder through dies.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews