JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming the firearm owner was present (or was on exemption list for transfers, eg family), have you helped somebody with repairs, assembly, modifications, etc on their firearm?

I can't find any legal reasons, in Oregon, that would prohibit this as long as the person was present while work was being done or was exempted for transfer purposes?
I'll never tell

What if you and your buddy made a gun trust, and built it under the trust? If you both were trustees, would that work? Kinda like how a single person can build an SBR under a trust, yet everyone who is a trustee can access the SBR for legal purposes. Been a while, I don't know if there are any laws about building under a trust vs posession under a trust. No idea, but legal advice this is not.

Is this some insinuation that we could be arrested for helping clear a squib round from their barrel or help them replace a spring or trigger? What about loaning someone a sight pusher or torque wrench for rings? Sounds like someone has too much time on their hands.

Yes I have helped folks build or repair their firearm.
I have also built a firearm from a kit for someone else...or repaired their firearm.

I also consider the above not law or rule breaking.
That said....
Others of a more legal standing may.

In any event I really don't care.
Andy

I have also built a firearm from a kit for someone else...or repaired their firearm.

That said....

Andy
This.

Just do the work in the bedroom. The government always says what happens in the bedroom between consenting adults is nobody's business

That said....

Andy
Way it was explained to me is anytime a gunsmith holds a gun longer than 24 hours, it must be entered into their bound book & if you aren't an FFL, you cannot properly record the item in your bound book-- therefore any work that takes over 24 hours to complete would be illegal to do, unless you are a licensed FFL

Is this some insinuation that we could be arrested for helping clear a squib round from their barrel or help them replace a spring or trigger? What about loaning someone a sight pusher or torque wrench for rings? Sounds like someone has too much time on their hands.
What you have here is a long string of "The sky is falling" kind of things. A new asinine law went in and it is a mess. As always when some new law comes up we get a LOT of the sky is falling posts. The sad part of this is a lot of people who "are on the fence" read this kind of stuff, see none of the sky falling, then start to think all of us are kooks. :(

I am thinking more along the lines of helping people get their 80% projects to function correctly. I am also thinking about spending some money on a decent jig set up for AR lowers and would like to loan it out to others in need.

What you have here is a long string of "The sky is falling" kind of things. A new asinine law went in and it is a mess. As always when some new law comes up we get a LOT of the sky is falling posts. The sad part of this is a lot of people who "are on the fence" read this kind of stuff, see none of the sky falling, then start to think all of us are kooks. :(
Folks have to remember too that what is "technically" illegal does not always mean it's "criminal" or mean it will lead to a bad end.

Kind of like jaywaking. It's illegal, everyone does it, in and of itself it's not enforced... so unless you are doing an organized large group assembly to jaywalk and cause a traffic hazard... no one cares and you're good to walk on!!

If someone who doesn't know asks if it's illegal... the responsible answer would be "yes", but is it... really... if it's never enforced?

Same thing here. "Technically" it's illegal, but is it... really??

I say... know what the laws are then let your conscience be your guide.

Last Edited:
Folks have to remember too that what is "technically" illegal does not always mean it's "criminal" or mean it will lead to a bad end.

Kind of like jaywaking. It's illegal, everyone does it, in and of itself it's not enforced... so unless you are doing an organized large group assembly to jaywalk and cause a traffic hazard... no one cares and you're good to walk on!!

If someone who doesn't know asks if it's illegal... the responsible answer would be "yes", but is it... really... if it's never enforced?

Same thing here. "Technically" it's illegal, but is it... really??

I say... know what the laws are then let your conscience be your guide.
Sadly ALL these gun laws are never intend to do anything. The people pushing more gun laws also are loath to send scum who use guns to prison. The whole idea is to keep throwing up more laws that only effect the law abiding. Then when nothing improves they say "well we tried, we just need more laws". We all know what they really want but, they can't say that. When gun owners run around screaming the sky is falling and nothing happens many gun owners stop paying any attention at all. So more laws keep slipping in. :(

Way it was explained to me is anytime a gunsmith holds a gun longer than 24 hours, it must be entered into their bound book & if you aren't an FFL, you cannot properly record the item in your bound book-- therefore any work that takes over 24 hours to complete would be illegal to do, unless you are a licensed FFL
I am not a gunsmith...nor will I quit helping friends with their firearms.
Read into that as you wish...but that is all I got to say here.
Andy

I think you're reading into that a bit too deep. The laws and regs required for FFL's do not translate directly to the general public. There are no laws, rules or regulations that places any requirements or restrictions on private citizens from performing DIY gunsmithing on their own or other peoples firearms.

Just like there are no rules or regulations placed on folks for car wrenching on their own or other peoples vehicles... where there may be requirements and procedures placed on licensed mechanics.

I think you're reading into that a bit too deep. The laws and regs required for FFL's do not translate directly to the general public. There are no laws, rules or regulations that places any requirements or restrictions on private citizens from performing DIY gunsmithing on their own or other peoples firearms.

Just like there are no rules or regulations placed on folks for car wrenching on their own or other peoples vehicles... where there may be requirements and procedures placed on licensed mechanics.
Years ago when I had an FFL a friend did fantastic gunsmith work for many other people, he did not have an FFL or any intention of getting one. The ATF sent him several letters ordering him to stop working on guns & threatening to toss him in jail for holding anybodies gun for over 24 hours, due to the fact that he did not have an FFL, so that is where I 'got it from'

BTW, 'wrenching' on a car is completely different from working as an unlicensed & uninsured gunsmith

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top