JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The other day my employer sent out a notice of a threat, some individual threatened my organization, and in the description it stated "… does have one firearm registered to his name." I believe this information is from OSP but it does not explicitly state it.

The question(s) I have rolling around in my head are do we have an Oregon list of registrations? Maybe a federal one? Is there a place to check what they think I have?

Good question. Might want to send an email to OSP and ask how long they retain 4473 information. DO NOT ask about registration because you're giving them an easy out.

Their response will determine the follow-up questions.

That's been a question in many people's minds for a long time now. If you do something stupid, I believe they can easily find out how many guns you have and where you live. Best bet is to stay off the radar. There's enough crazy people to keep them busy.

That's been a question in many people's minds for a long time now. If you do something stupid, I believe they can easily find out how many guns you have and where you live. Best bet is to stay off the radar. There's enough crazy people to keep them busy.
You're right, the REALLY crazy ones are actually their bosses, and they keep themselves VERY busy.

I think the law is 5 years? Just off the top of my head.

I also think that a lot of people assume official (not de facto) registration exists many places it does not.

OTOH, as I have said many times, I am pretty sure the OSP/et. al. probably keeps some copy of the data they get, for longer than the law allows. It is very hard to purge data from a computer system once it is in the system, and Oregon gov is not know for their competence in computer systems. So it is just best to assume that any data they once had, they still have, even if it is only due to their incompetence.

Oregon gov is not know for their competence in computer systems. So it is just best to assume that any data they once had, they still have, even if it is only due to their incompetence.
What are you talking about? It's not like Oregon paid $134 Million for an insurance exchange portal that didn't work, and would require an additional $78 million to be remotely usable.

Oregon State Police retain your BGC records for eactly 4 years and 11 months. Then by law, they wipe it clean and start over.
I know this since I use to go through BGC Hell every five years.
I finally got tired of it and had my federal criminal record expunged and put a stop to it.
All this hassle was from a 1980 Class B conviction I received in Utah while hitchhiking in a car owned by a long haired hippy with a roach in the ashtray.

Oregon State Police retain your BGC records for eactly 4 years and 11 months. Then by law, they wipe it clean and start over.
I know this since I use to go through BGC Hell every five years.
I finally got tired of it and had my federal criminal record expunged and put a stop to it.
All this hassle was from a 1980 Class B conviction I received in Utah while hitchhiking in a car owned by a long haired hippy with a roach in the ashtray.
Thanks for that info. A friend was having problems with BCGs taking a long time and OSP told him that if he did a check every 4 years he would be OK.

Dont forget all FFLs are required to keep a registration for 20yrs.

Anyone who thinks their isnt a registration is foolin themselves.

Last Edited:
If you're getting an extended delay every time you submit a BGC, have the FFL give you the direct line phone number, so you can call and ask an agent why you're getting delayed. More then likely it's a Federal issue.

Another point I was thinking about is I have a friend that has lived in other states that legally allow sales of firearms with background checks. They may still have firearms in their possession that were not "registered", or flip side ones that might be "registered" in their name then do not have anymore. It just seemed odd when I hear on the news of an event, or messages like these they always say if that person has a "registered weapon" or not, I didn't know where that data came from.

I definitely stay under the radar, pay my taxes, drive the speed limit, etc. and hope to keep it that way. I also know it is a real possibility I am just in the wrong place at the wrong time at some point, and knowledge may be my only defense.

It just seemed odd when I hear on the news of an event, or messages like these they always say if that person has a "registered weapon" or not, I didn't know where that data came from.
The data is likely from a recent purchase and, as others have stated above, OSP keeps your BGC info for 5 years. The term "registered" is intentionally used to get people used to the idea that they have to register a firearm. That way, when the registration laws come out, like say in Illinois, it's just assumed that they're just beefing up existing laws.

We call this conditioning...

The data is likely from a recent purchase and, as others have stated above, OSP keeps your BGC info for 5 years. The term "registered" is intentionally used to get people used to the idea that they have to register a firearm. That way, when the registration laws come out, like say in Illinois, it's just assumed that they're just beefing up existing laws.

We call this conditioning...
^^This is an excellent point.

Many Oregonians already believe that firearms are "registered" to their owners.

Remember what the ATF director said. Even though everything is digitized and in the computer, they have disabled the search function. They did this in order to comply with the Firearm Owners Protection Act. Amazing how law abiding they are.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top