JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It should work. I personally am not a shotgun fan. I have three, two Pumps and a Simi-auto.. and I even went to a two day course with them. I even was 'Familiarized' with th9em in the Army.

I have a lot of loaded handguns in the house, but really I prefer a AR of some sort. I like the AR-15 Pistol and the wife a AR-9, both with 10.5" barrels. mine is 5.56 but I wish I had bought a 300 Blackout Upper for this particular task. (Little bigger hole and a little less range, fine for home). with the modest barrel I can maneuver around home obstacles, Still long enough to truly aim well. Years of experience with the controls for me and training for the wife

A Turkey shotgun has a long barrel and would be unwieldly in the house, but it would work. Good Idea!
I was raised as a bird hunter with a .410 and a 12 gauge Remington 870. I was trained to use that 12 gauge as a primary weapon for perimeter patrol around a prison. With buckshot they have a 25 yard effective range. With turkey shot, they lose all their power going through the first wall. An AR in an urban setting is a threat to public safety. I have been known to miss at 100 yards with a 5.56, but at 21 feet with a shotgun I don't miss with my glasses off. I have a pump, but it is loaded with 2oz. of turkey shot, too.

I was raised as a bird hunter with a .410 and a 12 gauge Remington 870. I was trained to use that 12 gauge as a primary weapon for perimeter patrol around a prison. With buckshot they have a 25 yard effective range. With turkey shot, they lose all their power going through the first wall. An AR in an urban setting is a threat to public safety. I have been known to miss at 100 yards with a 5.56, but at 21 feet with a shotgun I don't miss with my glasses off. I have a pump, but it is loaded with 2oz. of turkey shot, too.
I have to aim with both, at the same range. I aim with everything. Bullets and Buckshot with weight go thru more stuff than light weight will. I do have concern for my neighbors, that is why a AR is my choice. I would like it better if my wife used her AR-15 pistol over her favored AR-9 Pistol. I am just glad.

As someone else said you might want #4 Buck, more pellets just a little smaller, less likely to penetrate as much. There are a ton of people who prefer a shotgun for Home Defense, more than the AR crowd, but everyone has more experience with one over the other.

I think you are disguising that shotgun from the ones who live with you. Not a bad idea.

I have to aim with both, at the same range. I aim with everything. Bullets and Buckshot with weight go thru more stuff than light weight will. I do have concern for my neighbors, that is why a AR is my choice. I would like it better if my wife used her AR-15 pistol over her favored AR-9 Pistol. I am just glad.

As someone else said you might want #4 Buck, more pellets just a little smaller, less likely to penetrate as much. There are a ton of people who prefer a shotgun for Home Defense, more than the AR crowd, but everyone has more experience with one over the other.

I think you are disguising that shotgun from the ones who live with you. Not a bad idea.
Last first. They know where all my weapons are. They both have concealed handgun licenses. I have a gun safe and another place for quick release for their fingerprints for the long guns. All my firearms are loaded. It is not just a rule. It is a fact in my home. I load them as I leave the store after the transfer.

MY MANIFESTO ON SELF-DEFENSE:
Expect to testify in court in your defense once you stipulate you caused a death. Deadly force is justified only when undertaken to prevent imminent and otherwise unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm to the innocent.
The courts will require you gave an accounting of your assessment of the ability, opportunity, and intention of an aggressor indicating the goal of serious injury or lethal harm; just like law enforcement.
Be prepared to justify yourself to 12 reasonable persons. Get your facts together before speaking to officials in justifying homicide for self-defense.

I base my shotgun loading on autopsy photos and training I had as an EMT. I have seen an autopsy photo of a cadaver with a hole in its chest the size of a tennis ball surrounded by birdshot wounds in a man's chest. I have no intention of taking a life; however. If you are dead set on meeting FBI specs., a 4 pound dead blow hammer in an overhead swing of 57 fps/39 mph would deliver 202 ft./lbs to the handle of a 12" phillips head screwdriver. Walmart awaits.

The loads I chose have more muzzle energy than a .308 Winchester. I have no intent of going more than three inches with the belly button as the point of aim. I have an idea of how much pain that causes since my gallbladder died. I rate pain from an itch to passing out. I nearly broke my neck and passed out with pain. That is a 10. My infected gallbladder was like appendicitis. That is a NINE. NO ONE will NOT be incapacitated by that kind of pain

When I was an officer tasked with stopping escaping inmates, we loaded with 00 Buck, but our intent was to STOP. My training required I yell "STOP" and I was trained to say to a jury I shot "to stop." Before that, escaped inmate Olds from Salem kidnapped my neighbors in Pendleton to torture and kill them in the nearby desert.

At the job interview, they asked if I would shoot to stop an inmate. I told them I could not live in Pendleton, where I was born, if I let an inmate escape. I asked what to tell a jury. "We shoot to stop" was the answer.

I don't lie, but at less than 25 yards an escaping inmate takes on the full liability for being injured or killed. I'd pray for and treat anyone who failed to obey my order at 21 feet, but they determine the level of force. I do not have to blow a man in half to get his attention. I have the voice of a Marine DI when I give commands. I was taught, literally, by a former SEAL. I wondered if a SEAL in Vietnam would lead VC with a shotgun. He affirmed he did.

I want any burglar to be in the courtroom to testify if I get sued. Living felons are not considered saints by a jury in Oregon, but dead ones might.

People should see how M193 works with walls. Most of the penetration rep an AR gets is from M855.

Even M193 loses quite a bit of power once it hits something.So going off of that, having soft points would also lose quite a bit of penetration as well.

Sort of off topic but what the heck ....

On recent safaris to the LGS I've noted their handgun (of the service pistol and CC variety) selection was pretty picked over ... except they have literally dozens of various 1911 pattern pistols. Why would this be? Any ideas? Do all the kids/new buyers want a poly wonder nine or what's going on? The 1911 selection does trend to the higher end - is it all about the prices?

I'm all stocked up on 1911 pistols or I'd try to help them out ....
Higher end guns do not move as fast. That said 1911's definitely not as popular as the plastic guns due to ease of maintenance and difficulty customizing with out a gunsmith.

Just a reminder here...
Rule Number One :
Be Excellent to each other.

And....
The topic of this thread is :
Guns Gear , Accessories Etc: What did you buy today.?

While I understand that discussion may flow or meander....even bird walk...

Please keep all replies to the subject of the OP.
Thank you.
Andy

14A4DB68-9771-4C5A-9C59-2E6F62E76EAE.jpeg 6A66088E-45A1-4AFF-84B0-52DFE015BB6A.jpeg 58D61215-1E00-4B92-912F-BE615E648F8E.jpeg B5340D84-2FCB-465C-BA6F-CECB768687C4.jpeg 13EE01C2-8A80-482F-A437-F6C242CC6A1B.jpeg
just a couple of knives :D FD0EC779-B0DE-4942-8DEA-E9874805C2B7.jpeg

I bought a Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1 LED light. The one cell is 350 lumens and can be powered by a CR123A or one AA alkaline battery. It includes both batteries in the box.

The light also includes a tape switch so I can mount my light on the right side of the hand guard now. You can see a little bump on the tape switch which allows you to turn it on all of the time if you want.

4F563084-33D7-41E3-BD93-296C4F32D854.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top