JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well tons of good info. I got all the info on load development, thank you. Going to read that pdf today and see if I should print. I'm going to hope for an attractive rem700 on the classifieds in 260 or 270. Or a new, maybe used, Savage (not axis), maybe order one of the model 10s that come with heavy fluted barrels in 6.5crdmr, 260, or 270. Or a Tikka in one of the same calibers if one pops up on the classifieds that I can't resist.

Savage® Arms 12 FV Bolt-Action Varmint Rifles : Cabela's

Available in 308 and 6.5cm. This rifle is capable of .2" groups at 100 yards. Stock is meh but the barrel is varmint coutour (heavy) and the action is good. Trigger is ok.

If you can wait and check, it goes to $369 on sale there at Cabelas and has a Black Friday price usually of $319 and in the autumn, Savage usually has a $100 rebate, so mine cost me $219 plus the transfer fee.

In 6.5 this will get you to 1000 happily and with 308 will do so as well if you want to go that route.

Remember that you need a rail or mount and scope. Scopes are going to be your big expenditure. if you want to shoot tactical you need at least a 14-20x scope. If you want to shoot benchrest you want >24x (I shoot 36x in one scope and 40x in the other)

If you want to try a Savage I have three you can try. I am near you and we could go down to Tri County. And a Remington 700 in 204. Just to see how one feels sorta with a new trigger and a new stock...

The rifle may be capable, but is the shooter?

It's the rare person who can consistently put 5 shots under half an inch, much less 0.2".

I shoot more than most, and I can't do it, not every time.

P

IMG_0695.JPG

7mm-08, 140 grain, one shot

IMG_2067.JPG

7mm-08, 150 gr, dead on his feet, hit again

E7EE359D-7074-4E67-814A-B60AC3A94CB1.JPG

7mm-08, 140 gr, one shot

IMG_0193.JPG

7mm-08, 140 gr, one shot.

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

P

View attachment 441697

7mm-08, 140 grain, one shot

View attachment 441698

7mm-08, 150 gr, dead on his feet, hit again

View attachment 441699

7mm-08, 140 gr, one shot

View attachment 441700

7mm-08, 140 gr, one shot.

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

P
7mm 08 is a wonderful caliber.......identical to the old 7X57 only in a short case. It would be near the top of my list for an all around caliber. I like the little heavier bullet availability for hunting compared with the 6.5. Nosler partitions are magnificent in my 7mm mag. I use a big gun (378 Weatherby) on elk mainly because the bullets are less likely to deflect and I am not recoil sensitive. Many years ago I had a 180 grain 308 bullet turn nearly 90 degrees and take out the backstrap and most of the steaks after hitting a bone.

Last Edited:
I have hunted with a 7x57 for elk. I feel like that cartridge is towards the lower end of elk cartridges and is no where near the equivalent of my 338-06 or 9.3x62 and many others. I will not take a shot with the little 7 that I would with the larger rifles. I do not have doubts about it's ability to kill an elk but that is where bullet placement comes in
That little 7 is one accurate rifle and i know what it will do. My 7 will not shoot end to end through a elk and I don't think a 270 will either. I have seen a 30-06 with a hornady 180 do that over in Mist.

The rifle may be capable, but is the shooter?

It's the rare person who can consistently put 5 shots under half an inch, much less 0.2".

I shoot more than most, and I can't do it, not every time.

P
I'm not that good but the rifle is and my load development is. You do your load development and my 8 year old can shoot .2s all day. Savages are that good.

I'm not that good but the rifle is and my load development is. You do your load development and my 8 year old can shoot .2s all day. Savages are that good.
Rifle accuracy testing should always be done with the assistance of something like a Caldwell sled removing the human element.

From my experience with airguns, as long as the gun is good and the shooter isn't shaky and has a good stance/platform then you can shoot good. A good zoom scope helps a lot. In the airgun world this pretty pronounced because there is "shootability" of the gun then the precision of the gun. Spring piston guns are extremely hold sensitive, most aren't aim and shoot type guns. I've been shooting half inch groups with a 14fpe spring piston airgun at 50 yards lately, that's pretty impressive actually. I'm hoping I can now do that at 100 yards with a rifle. I will keep my eye on that FV price, need to make a cabelas run anyway. Also, I will have to get in contact with you sometime about going out and shooting, that would help a lot to actually see these guns look and shoot like. I've only ever fired my old 270 years ago and a 12 gauge even longer.

Rifle accuracy testing should always be done with the assistance of something like a Caldwell sled removing the human element.
I do wish it was easier to obtain specs regarding sled shot groups for various rifle models. Like have it listed on the box as a selling point. Of coarse then manufactures would straight up lie... "tested using...shooter may not have similar results"

I wouldn't try to compare 308 with 270
Two completely different families of bullets
One long action and one short action.

Some actions mentioned in the OP are entry level.
Sounds like you are ready for a top line action and are set on the 270.
A .270 is a necked down .30-06. That's what it should be compared to. It's faster at some distances. It's flatter at some distances. It's more accurate at some distances. My main hunting rifle was a .270 Win for my first 25 years. Since then it's been a .30-06. The only advantage I can see in the .30-06 is the number of bullet choices available, up to 220 gr, whereas the .270 pretty much stops at 165 gr. If I hadn't been in the market for a new rifle, and going elk hunting I might have picked another .270 last time.

Help me out with the whole "flatter" argument. With comparable bullet weights, is the .270 "flatter," and if so by how much at, say, 300, 400, and 500 yards?

Also, if true, what difference does it make given today's technology of dial scopes and laser rangefinders?

P

If yoir going to compare 130 gt bullets out a 270 you should be comparing it to 150s out of an 06. Likewise 150s out of a 270 should be compared to 165s out of an 06

Help me out with the whole "flatter" argument. With comparable bullet weights, is the .270 "flatter," and if so by how much at, say, 300, 400, and 500 yards?

Also, if true, what difference does it make given today's technology of dial scopes and laser rangefinders?

P
Wouldn't BC be the factor most relevant in that case instead of which shoots flatter? ...I need to read up more on BC, I'm not sure I know what it is exactly, I do know what I want it to mean lol. I am comparing a .308 to a .270 in my mind (centerfires) as I'm picturing watching a pellet that I have seen moving slow out of my 2240 airgun and on it's downward arch yet hitting the bulls eye at 55 yards in the wind while my NP2 airgun is still scorching the pellets at that range but no where near where I aimed. In that case the guns accuracy is the biggest factor at that range followed by the pellets- I assume BC- ability to 'buck' the wind. ...but in what instance is a bullet at xyz distance going to be more accurate when it's at a 20' drop in it's trajectory compared to one that's at a 10' drop with same distance and poa?

Last Edited:
The question is the "flatness" of the trajectory, not the similarity of ballistic coefficients. If we're evaluating trajectory then we should be as close to apples to apples as we can get. Hence the same weight.

P

The question is the "flatness" of the trajectory, not the similarity of ballistic coefficients. If we're evaluating trajectory then we should be as close to apples to apples as we can get. Hence the same weight.

P
Shooting a 130 gr bullet out of a 06 if you can find one might be possible but if accuracy has any play in this equation a 30-06 may not be able to compete with a 270, put a 165 out of a 270 and compare it to a 165 out of a 06 and you have the reverse situation. With different calibers you have different weight ranges and most calibers have a sweet spot.

I'll give you an inexpert but very experienced answer as I've hunted with nothing but my Ruger M77 .270 since about 1970. Maybe 1972? I've been with friends who had every conceivable caliber when their own buddies came along too.

1. The .270 lives by the same idea as do the .5.56 NATO and 9mm handgun. SPEED. Once one figures out as NATO did that speed will overcome lack of size you're starting to get there. Add to that the Lack.Of.Heavy.Recoil increasing accuracy for most people and we're on our way.

2. I have killed elk and deer and black beer with that .270 with never a problem.

I settled on the 130 gr psp bullet a long time ago so I'd have to go back and figure out why. I think again it was speed. BTW is has always shot sub-MOA with Remington 130 gr pointed soft point ammo out of the box.

Cheers

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top