JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am right there with ya on the .270 as an underrated caliber. I'm not going to dive into the numbers/data right now as a lot of that has already been discussed here, but with an open admission that I am biased to the .270 Win, I just purchased my 2nd .270 Win to use as a hunting setup but also want some capability for long ragne.

I just picked up the Sauer 100 Classic XT. (Sportsman's Warehouse) for $699. From the reviews I've seen, this rifle is a bargain at the price point.

https://www.sauer.de/us/products/bolt-action-rifles/sauer-100/sauer-100-classic-xt/features.html

To work up some custom loads, I ordered Nosler LR Accubond in 150 grain, will try Hodgon H4350 powder, and Hornady brass to work up some custom loads. Time will tell if this is can be a LR shooter. My goal with the custom loads is to hit a steel target at 1,000, just to say I can with the .270!

For hunting purposes, I intend to use quality box ammo and just ordered from Cabela's some Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter in 145 grain, Browning BXR in 134 grain, Hornady SST in 130 grain - I plan on trying these loads in that order hoping to find a combination that works well. If the above combo's don't seem to shoot well, I will probably try Nosler's BT in 140 grain. Most of my hunting will be in the range of 100-300 yards, with a maximum of 500 yards - so I'm pretty confident I will find a quality box ammo that will work for this purpose.

I am right there with ya on the .270 as an underrated caliber. I'm not going to dive into the numbers/data right now as a lot of that has already been discussed here, but with an open admission that I am biased to the .270 Win, I just purchased my 2nd .270 Win to use as a hunting setup but also want some capability for long ragne.

I just picked up the Sauer 100 Classic XT. (Sportsman's Warehouse) for $699. From the reviews I've seen, this rifle is a bargain at the price point.

https://www.sauer.de/us/products/bolt-action-rifles/sauer-100/sauer-100-classic-xt/features.html

To work up some custom loads, I ordered Nosler LR Accubond in 150 grain, will try Hodgon H4350 powder, and Hornady brass to work up some custom loads. Time will tell if this is can be a LR shooter. My goal with the custom loads is to hit a steel target at 1,000, just to say I can with the .270!

For hunting purposes, I intend to use quality box ammo and just ordered from Cabela's some Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter in 145 grain, Browning BXR in 134 grain, Hornady SST in 130 grain - I plan on trying these loads in that order hoping to find a combination that works well. If the above combo's don't seem to shoot well, I will probably try Nosler's BT in 140 grain. Most of my hunting will be in the range of 100-300 yards, with a maximum of 500 yards - so I'm pretty confident I will find a quality box ammo that will work for this purpose.
A quick check of the reloading tables, the 150 grain 270 loading is about 2850 FPS, a 30-06 150 grain is 2950. Confirms my old studies showing little or no advantage of the 270 over the 06 unless you are using light bullets. (There might be an argument about sectional density) I tried to love the 270 years ago after living down the street from Jack O'Connor and reading his writing, just could never warm up to it. Nosler only makes 2 bullets for it still.

Only reason I went with 150 grain is to get the BC of 0.625 which in theory, will do best for long range. Like I said, time will tell if this will shoot or not with my rifle.

E71CD573-EDB9-4CDD-8F61-939A7B9D3469.jpeg

You're high and left. You want it to look more like this:

View attachment 453978

I had a bit of wind, so that explains shooting right a quarter of an inch.

P
I was also dealing with a crosswind and had it sighted in 2" high at 100 yards. So, given those parameters, I'm spot on. :)

I'm fairly certain that most would realize the group size is what's important... windage and elevation are easily accounted for.

Shooting a .270 is like dating the prettiest ugly girl.

Yeah, I said it.

P
Only reason I went with 150 grain is to get the BC of 0.625 which in theory, will do best for long range. Like I said, time will tell if this will shoot or not with my rifle.

View attachment 453951
I decided against the nosler lr to start. nice to see your group with nosler, id be curious how you do with the LR with the new gun. I've heard good things about the 130gr range. i'm curious how I can group them in the wind but with little wind should be just as good or probably better. initially i'm working loads for 130sst, 140vld, 135hpbt matchkings. If I get the results I want i'll be posting a lot, from fpe, retained velocity, etc... I think your browning has 2 more inches on the barrel? P.s. pharmseller, you did say prettiest, my conformation bias didn't register the last part lol

I decided against the nosler lr to start. nice to see your group with nosler, id be curious how you do with the LR with the new gun. I've heard good things about the 130gr range. i'm curious how I can group them in the wind but with little wind should be just as good or probably better. initially i'm working loads for 130sst, 140vld, 135hpbt matchkings. If I get the results I want i'll be posting a lot, from fpe, retained velocity, etc... I think your browning has 2 more inches on the barrel? P.s. pharmseller, you did say prettiest, my conformation bias didn't register the last part lol
My Browning X-bolt had a 22" barrel. For hunting, I ended up using Hornady Superformance SST in 130 grain. It was only a slightly larger group than what is pictured above with my hand loads and were 400 fps faster, so I wanted the energy provided by the Superformance SST for hunting. I ended up taking an antelope in WY at 469 yards using the SST in 130 grain, so I would say you're on the right track with trying 130 grain range.

I'm really just experimenting with these 150 grain Nosler LR bullets... not convinced this is going to be a winning combination for the .270. If I can't get these to shoot well, I think I'll try the Matrix VLD in 165 grain as I've heard some good things about that bullet in .277. The only draw back is, according to Matrix, they are best suited for a barrel with a 1:9 twist rate, and mine is 1:10.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews