JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I-5 Southbound, from say, Broadway to the Marquam Bridge. The ruts worn in the concrete are DANGEROUS! Bad enough in dry weather. Can't imagine what it's like there when all the ruts from stud-runners are filled with water. There are other places to where the stud runners have destroyed the roads. That's Federal bubblegum there!
So what I'm picking up here is that this thread is perhaps misnamed about "SHTF Vehicles" when it should be about "Portland Vehicles" (although the results would be the same: Sherp, Extreme Hagglunds, Hum V, Hercules...)

I-5 Southbound, from say, Broadway to the Marquam Bridge. The ruts worn in the concrete are DANGEROUS! Bad enough in dry weather. Can't imagine what it's like there when all the ruts from stud-runners are filled with water. There are other places to where the stud runners have destroyed the roads. That's Federal bubblegum there!
I'm sure the tolls they are about to put up everywhere (several planned for the Interstates as well as routes people will attempt to use to get around the toll locations) will provide money to fix them...

So what I'm picking up here is that this thread is perhaps misnamed about "SHTF Vehicles" when it should be about "Portland Vehicles" (although the results would be the same: Sherp, Extreme Hagglunds, Hum V, Hercules...)
If the current trend in Portland "leadership" continues (as expected) Portland will be synonymous with SHTF. Or, perhaps, will it be the other way around?

I'm sure the tolls they are about to put up everywhere (several planned for the Interstates as well as routes people will attempt to use to get around the toll locations) will provide money to fix them...
Yeah. Okay. The checks in the mail and I won'.- Never mind.

I am buried in the middle of Vantucky. We have some food and water, need more, but if "the big one" rips us apart, it may be worth pulling up roots and heading home for a year.
You'll have to wait until the first highway east is passable again...

Honestly, I think a Subaru or Honda CR-V cover all of the OP's bases, and provide AWD. Our 2016 CR-V that my wife drives is outfitted with Cooper Discoverer AT3 S4 tires and it does amazingly well in snow; best all-purpose tire ever! Skip to 5:17 in the video below.

I drive a 2001 Tundra that will haul a lot more gear if needed, but the cruising range isn't great at 15 MPG. Wish someone made an oversize fuel tank for that year Tundra.

Last Edited:
Blank check? Downside would be only having access to the rail network, but an FP9 diesel locomotive and a 5-bedroom observation car like the large-window ones Pullman built for the New York Central and the Southern Railway. The lounge section had a kitchenette, so all you'd need is a little modernization between head-end power off the locomotive and adding a genset to power things while parked, along with some 110VAC plugs. Maybe mount some solar panels on the obs roof, can't do that on the locomotive because of the cooling fans. Alternate, an older 1920s-style open-platform obs where you have a porch built in.

Ideally add a dome-car between the two refitted with openable dome windows to use as a lookout/sniper post, but then you're cut off from anything north/east of DC because of limited-height clearances in the tunnels around DC Union Station and under the Hudson River.
Chevy-3500-rail-truck-368x245.jpg

Always wanted a Hi-Rail pickup truck .

Bought for dimes on the dollar at a surplus auction of course.

You'll have to wait until the first highway east is passable again...

Honestly, I think a Subaru or Honda CR-V cover all of the OP's bases, and provide AWD. Our 2016 CR-V that my wife drives is outfitted with Cooper Discoverer AT3 S4 tires and it does amazingly well in snow; best all-purpose tire ever! Skip to 5:17 in the video below.

I drive a 2001 Tundra that will haul a lot more gear if needed, but the cruising range isn't great at 15 MPG. Wish someone made an oversize fuel tank for that year Tundra.

Raise the temp in this video and see what happens then. How about 32 degrees? I love our CRV. And I wish they hadn't ruined the new models by narrowing the cabin and removing all the space in the front. But I don't care how smart the traction control is, you make that ice 32-33 degrees and you can be stuck on level ground.

I would go with a tracked pontoon/Rv boat with a 4 cyl diesel pretty much covers all the bases.
If I were in Alaska or BC along the SW coast (or on one of the rivers there), one of those boats that loads from a ramp and can pull itself up onto a beach, would be kewl to have.

^^
Given my experience in the USCG, I would choose one of these.

Everything is a compromise, but I feel that such a boat would be very versatile and useful.

Most amphib boats that can actually travel on land are slow on land. A pontoon boat would not be good in ocean conditions, or many rivers for that matter - being made mostly for calm lake waters. I never saw a pontoon boat on the ocean when I was in the CG, and rarely on the upper Columbia except on very nice calm days.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top