JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They still have a protocol for this, I think risk assessment has something to do with frequency/type of evaluation. We had Group Health here before Kaiser Wash. bought them out a few years ago. Nothing with regard to that schedule seems to have changed. I'm on the five year colonoscopy schedule. My wife does what she calls, "the poop test." They keep notes on my records that indicate when the exam is due.

What's the deal with anesthesia for colonoscopy? I've had the procedure several times, as I recall I've always been completely aware during it. The very first time I had this back in the 1970's was memorable. The instruments used have changed. At that time, I got a glance at the probe and it appeared to be about the diameter of a garden hose. It had a compressed air feature to dilate the colon so a good image could be gotten. Okay, they get me in "the little room," and I'm on my hands and knees with my Heinie raised up. The probe was just in and they were filling my bowel with air. Every so often, this air build-up would release itself in a big blast of clear flatulence. So about the time they start to get down to real business, the doctor says, "Oh, Mr. Merkt, you wouldn't mind having visiting student nurses look in on the procedure, would you?" Without waiting for any response from me, the doctor turns and says, "Okay girls, come on it." About five or six young women, maybe aged 17 to early 20's troop in. They were already tittering and giggling a bit, but when the next big blast of wind phart blew out, they really laughed. Although I couldn't see their faces nor they mine, it was somewhat humiliating. Not very professional, I would say, compared to subsequent similar procedures that I've had.

With Providence insurance, I had my first scope job at 50, and they wanted me to do it again at 60. By then I switched to Kaiser only because my Wife's insurance took over. So when I tried booking the scope job they just plain said no and offered me the popsicle stick smear once a year. Finally at 65 (I think), I got the scope again.

Anesthesia? It was explained to me I wouldn't be completely out, but I'd be so close I wouldn't know the difference. I was apparently awake enough one time to see the cave on TV while the camera was in high speed reverse.

With Providence insurance, I had my first scope job at 50, and they wanted me to do it again at 60. By then I switched to Kaiser only because I my Wife's insurance took over. So when I tried booking the scope job they just plain said no and offered me the popsicle stick smear once a year.

Anesthesia? It was explained to me I wouldn't be completely out, but I'd be so close I wouldn't know the difference. I was apparently awake enough one time to see the cave on TV while the camera was in high speed reverse.
You just ruined the phrase "man cave" forever for me.

Just did my second. Three polyps last time. One this time.

This is so easy. You think it's embarrassing and maybe it is a little, but it's so quick and the benefit is huge.

If you're over 50 just do it.... your family will love for it

And it's way more fun than listening to Schiff doing impeachment crap.
This ^^^
Get the Butt Cam and save your life.
Some of those that didn't........died.
And it's a horrible death.

Need I say more ?

Interesting too, some doctors and insurance push colonoscopies, and some don't. With my previous real insurance, I got colonoscopies. Now that I've switched to Kaiser, not so much.
They just want you to mail a used toilet paper sample once a year.:confused:

I'm on Kaiser as well. They couldn't push one on me any faster. Then again I was also admitted for possible intestinal stoppage. Turned out I have mild diverticulitis.

I'm on Kaiser as well. They couldn't push one on me any faster. Then again I was also admitted for possible intestinal stoppage. Turned out I have mild diverticulitis.

Their protocol does not apply equally across the board. Some folks love Kaiser, some don't. I'm of the latter. Even after multiple pneumonias, a broken arm, skin cancer and shoulder surgery, I've still never met my personal doctor there. And it's tough when you see a different doctor every time. None of them know me or my history.

I have had 2 colonoscopies now. 2nd was recent. 1 polyp and of all weirdness, the endoscopy revealed the most likely culprit causing my neuropathy. The prep is miserable. But better than dying.

Their protocol does not apply equally across the board. Some folks love Kaiser, some don't. I'm of the latter. Even after multiple pneumonias, a broken arm, skin cancer and shoulder surgery, I've still never met my personal doctor there. And it's tough when you see a different doctor every time. None of them know me or my history.
Ya, definitely gets muddy when your going to different doctors for different things and trying to tie it all together. My son went through a lot of that.

I know I'm very grateful for Kaiser though. We have been very lucky to have them.

I was a kaiser this week. I will be 50 this year. Dr. said the are using a poo test to look for blood trail instead of colonoscopy now. They will violate you if they find traces of blood. He said there are risks such as rupture when they turn the air hose on, so they changed the practice.

I've had two so far, not that bad really. The prep is unfun for sure but when I take the consequence of undetected colon cancer into account, it's chump change.

No polyps so far thank goodness, I'm on the 10 year cycle.

My last one included a free bonus prostate exam! Wow, lucky me :eek:

It's not the rectal exam that is the problem IMO, it is the prior 24hrs of pre work that unleashes hades

Two days or more of clear liquid diet, then the day/night before of prep. The prep wasn't all that bad actually - it just tasted bad. But different people have different reactions.

I had both a colonoscopy and a gastro at the same appointment and no, they didn't use the same scope for both :rolleyes:

I learned that lidocaine can temporarily eliminate tinnitus - unfortunately it isn't permanent - but it was interesting nonetheless; I didn't know what was happening and then I figured it out; my tinnitus had gone away and suddenly everything was quiet. :eek: Then I got the propofol and went under - when I woke up the tinnitus was back. :(

I am having my third one done Tuesday The first two were fine. I am on a ten year program. The worst part for me is the drugs. I hate the feeling.
I did it with no meds. They hooked me up to an I've then if it got too much I could holler and they'd knock me out right quick.

Twice now. Max pain was a momentary 4 other than that more like a 2.

A friend had one and they found colon cancer, but early Chemo cleared it up. Not fun but better than surgery and chemo.
I had one in October, 16 years since my last one and they found and removed 3 pre-cancerous polyps so I go back in 3 years.
I really appreciated that they put NO CANCER in caps in my results letter.
First thing I saw when I opened it. It was a big relief.
Yes its undignified and the prep is a drag but It beats the hell out of cancer. Order one of those bidet things for your toilet. It will save your bum a lot of irritation.
Make it happen, Cap'n!

I think this is a great topic and wish it was brought up a lot more than it is. I'll give my short story . I was told by my doctor to have one done when I was 44 and they found 6 pre cancerous polyps, I'm 48 now and have to go in once a year. Was told it could run in my family so for over a year I tried to convince my younger brother (42 at the time) to go in for one and when he finally did he was diagnosed with stage III colorectal cancer, he had no symptoms at all. After a year of chemo, radiation, surgery and doctor visits he is doing great and is cancer free. Doctors told us our kids should go in 10years younger than we were to have their first done. just do it, it's easy. The prep really is the bad part.

Last Edited:
I got the T-shirt for that last year. They found one small benign polyp starting and removed it. Since it was benign I get a repeat trip in four more years from now.

My surgeon was a female, and all of the operation theater staff were also female.... I told them just before I went under to be gentle with me as it was my first time, LMAO!
I need the name of your doctor!!!

Because of family history of cancer, I'm on the 5 year plan, have been since I was 35. And I agree the prep before is the worse part. Then a trip for a nice steak dinner with baked potato and beers afterwards. Reward for the misery of the prep.

I do agree, it's an easy way to help ensure your continued health.

24 hours of pre work? I could recommend a few gas station delis that would make that time frame much shorter.

Dining at Taco Bell could expedite things too. Could be a standard part of the procedure.

I think I will sing the Baby Shark song during mine.
:s0140:

Good God, that song ... parents bought my kids a toy that sings it nonstop. If it was pay back for the crap I gave them growing up, well played.

Goosebrown
Can't thank you enough for starting this thread! Will look to see how many total reactions. It is an important preventative measure...and its living documented proof that some of us are perfect arssholes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top