JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So... he also grew up without a father... hmmmmmmm... another exception to the rule lol

-Robert
He had Alfred though, but yeah, not everyone who grows up without a strong father figure ends up in prison, but the vast majority of people in prison grew up without a strong father figure in their life.

As a kid with an extended paper route, I carried a squirt gun loaded with ammonia for the dogs that got too close. But that was a different era.

Agree with the fanny pack advise - preferably one with a small water bottle as that would look natural to passersby.

I bike once in a while and have been looking for solutions to bring something for self defense. Especially after being attacked by three dogs while riding years ago... I was lucky to get out of that one alive, and have the missing parts of my leg as a reminder. I bought a bag that straps to the frame and is just the right size for my pocket carry, M&P Shield 2.0. It zips open quickly and I am able to draw easily. It also holds my phone, which is important as well.

So I strapped on (lol) and was excited to ride, and not long into it I hear someone yell, "Help, call the police!" An elderly man wearing just his boxers is outside his front door, and flagged me down. I turned around, ride to end of his driveway but stay there to keep distance and ask him what's going on. He seems confused, but is mostly coherent. He asks me to call 911, and I ask if he needs medical attention or police. He doesn't know which one he needs, so I ask if he's injured or if another person inside is... but he can't answer clearly. He is not having trouble breathing or moving so I figure police and make the call. I ask again if everyone inside is ok, and he yells to his wife and she says she's alright.

He asks how long until the police get there, and I tell him about 5-10 minutes. Then he goes back inside his house and shuts the door. This is where I'm thinking, what's he doing in there... and I start looking for places to take cover, just in case this situation isn't what it seems. I am already aware of police response times through experience, unfortunately, but in the time it takes for them to arrive, one's mind goes through a lot of scenarios.

Police finally arrive, three cars. It seems they staged elsewhere to group together instead of responding on scene right away, which I thought was interesting. I tell them the situation, officer says "Thanks, have a good rest of your day." And I roll out... but just far enough down the road to see the outcome. I hear the officers talking loudly, asking him why he wants to go to the hospital and surmised that the elderly guy had some cognitive issues... dementia maybe.

In the end, no medical attention or further police action was needed. I thought it was a strange coincidence how the first time I'm carrying and riding that this happens.

-Robert
Weird how it happens this way sometimes, like a karma/universe kinda thing...

In the 80s, I remember reading that Smith and Wesson engineer (later Safariland) Tom Campbell shot IPSC using a chest holster. Perfect for bicycling. Am looking for a suitable rig right now. I ride only at night in a rural area and have had a couple of drunks/hot heads yell at me.

I bike once in a while and have been looking for solutions to bring something for self defense. Especially after being attacked by three dogs while riding years ago... I was lucky to get out of that one alive, and have the missing parts of my leg as a reminder. I bought a bag that straps to the frame and is just the right size for my pocket carry, M&P Shield 2.0. It zips open quickly and I am able to draw easily. It also holds my phone, which is important as well.

-Robert
You should get a can of pepper spray and a holder and attach it to your handle bars. It's usually pretty effective on dogs without having to put lead in the air. :)

You should get a can of pepper spray and a holder and attach it to your handle bars. It's usually pretty effective on dogs without having to put lead in the air. :)
Yes. I have used OC on dogs since the stuff hit the market. The OC has been VERY hit and miss on 2 legged but I have yet to have it fail me on the 4 legged. Couple times when I had to use it the same dog remembered me for years after and gave me a WIDE berth every time it saw me. A few times the owner of the dog worried me a lot more than the dog since they would get over the top mad that I chased off their dog they let roam free to attack. :mad:

Did this take place at the White House perhaps?
Holy chit that made me laugh! Thanks for that!

You could also ring your little bell right before you spray the pepper. Kind of like Pavlov's dog. Eventually, as soon as the dog hears the bell "ching ching" he'll run like hell knowing what's coming next.... :s0140: :s0140:

OK, now in all seriousness and back on topic.... Have you considered something like this? I know it's not "completely concealed" but, well, you know....

1628568663852.png

Or a pair of these? (And no @sobo that's not my arse)..

1628568885030.png

As a kid with an extended paper route, I carried a squirt gun loaded with ammonia for the dogs that got too close. But that was a different era.
I was thinking more along these lines if dog attack is the primary worry. Firing a pistol while riding a bike, that sounds like an invitation to a collateral damage scenario. Pepper spray may also be a good idea.

Another thing I thought of, how about one of those telescoping batons? Smacking fido in the snout with one of those things would likely discourage. If they are legal in Oregon, that is. Or even an old fashioned, stiff screen door spring? Surely not illegal to carry and does the same thing with a dog, a flick in the face. Maybe even a sjambok, I think those are legal and very springy, buy you don't want anything too long so it would be apt for the dog to get ahold of it in his mouth and yank it away from you. You lose one of these to theft or whatever, no big loss.

I've been riding a bicycle for years and as recently as Sunday at an organized ride I wore a belly band holster with a micro-compact semi-auto 9MM tucked nicely inside. No one ever knew except my wife. I wear a looser fitting shirt depending on weather - short or long sleeve. I've had 2 "incidents" with tweakers the last few years riding out the Springwater Corridor Trail. Both situations escalated but not to the point I needed to draw my weapon thankfully. City life is getting old though and I am growing more watchful and cautious.

My 2 cents - if you're going to carry, Carry on your person in a holster of some type. Drawing from a Fanny pack is time consuming and impractical. Practice drawing from said holster and practice regularly. When you think you're comfortable, go practice some more! Then ride to your hearts content!

I've been riding a bicycle for years and as recently as Sunday at an organized ride I wore a belly band holster with a micro-compact semi-auto 9MM tucked nicely inside. No one ever knew except my wife. I wear a looser fitting shirt depending on weather - short or long sleeve. I've had 2 "incidents" with tweakers the last few years riding out the Springwater Corridor Trail. Both situations escalated but not to the point I needed to draw my weapon thankfully. City life is getting old though and I am growing more watchful and cautious.

My 2 cents - if you're going to carry, Carry on your person in a holster of some type. Drawing from a Fanny pack is time consuming and impractical. Practice drawing from said holster and practice regularly. When you think you're comfortable, go practice some more! Then ride to your hearts content!
Essentially, your only chance with a fanny pack is to anticipate and have your hand on the gun before things flare. Oldsters like me can always feign a cardiac and go for our 'nitro pills' It's not a lie! Nitrocellulose and 230 grain pills. .

Last Edited:
Essentially, your only chance with a fanny pack is to anticipate and have your hand on the gun before things flare. Oldsters like me can always feign a cardiac and go for out 'nitro pills' It's not a lie! Nitrocellulose and 230 grain pills. .
I do often use a Fanny pack. When I "feel" possible need I do have my hand on the pistol. To others looks like I am searching for something, or pulling something out. When I have a jacket that allows one of my "coat pocket pistols" I often do the same thing. Will have my hand on the pistol. It of course just looks like I am relaxing with hands in pockets.

@Alexx1401 I was browsing NWFA merch last night and remembered your post about how a fanny pack is stealth when I saw this super stealth version:
View attachment 1009125

Maybe we need to get @JohnnyMac to model it for us, based on his picture up there.

-Robert
Illiterate robbers (ever growing in today's ignant culture) will be no threat. However, one can wear a NWFA fanny and allow the perp to take it - while drawing from a shoulder rig.
As to fanny packs or carry in general, you must also be aware that you must be aware. If you are not situationally aware when carrying, you risk losing both gun and life.
I carry a fanny pack with a Gerber knife sheath, so that potential perps may focus on the knife.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top