JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bike once in a while and have been looking for solutions to bring something for self defense. Especially after being attacked by three dogs while riding years ago... I was lucky to get out of that one alive, and have the missing parts of my leg as a reminder. I bought a bag that straps to the frame and is just the right size for my pocket carry, M&P Shield 2.0. It zips open quickly and I am able to draw easily. It also holds my phone, which is important as well.

So I strapped on (lol) and was excited to ride, and not long into it I hear someone yell, "Help, call the police!" An elderly man wearing just his boxers is outside his front door, and flagged me down. I turned around, ride to end of his driveway but stay there to keep distance and ask him what's going on. He seems confused, but is mostly coherent. He asks me to call 911, and I ask if he needs medical attention or police. He doesn't know which one he needs, so I ask if he's injured or if another person inside is... but he can't answer clearly. He is not having trouble breathing or moving so I figure police and make the call. I ask again if everyone inside is ok, and he yells to his wife and she says she's alright.

He asks how long until the police get there, and I tell him about 5-10 minutes. Then he goes back inside his house and shuts the door. This is where I'm thinking, what's he doing in there... and I start looking for places to take cover, just in case this situation isn't what it seems. I am already aware of police response times through experience, unfortunately, but in the time it takes for them to arrive, one's mind goes through a lot of scenarios.

Police finally arrive, three cars. It seems they staged elsewhere to group together instead of responding on scene right away, which I thought was interesting. I tell them the situation, officer says "Thanks, have a good rest of your day." And I roll out... but just far enough down the road to see the outcome. I hear the officers talking loudly, asking him why he wants to go to the hospital and surmised that the elderly guy had some cognitive issues... dementia maybe.

In the end, no medical attention or further police action was needed. I thought it was a strange coincidence how the first time I'm carrying and riding that this happens.

-Robert

The only problems with frame bag,
If your bike jacked,
if you step away from the bike to provide assistance,
take a tumble,
etc.
Too many ways to be loose control of your weapon or not be able to access it if needed.
Personally if in bicycle attire I use a fanny pack. However it's more common for me to ride in street attire, jeans and t-shirt with my everyday carry setup. Would be harder for me if it weren't for my e-bike. :cool:

The only problems with frame bag,
If your bike jacked,
if you step away from the bike to provide assistance,
take a tumble,
etc.
Too many ways to be loose control of your weapon or not be able to access it if needed.
Personally if in bicycle attire I use a fanny pack. However it's more common for me to ride in street attire, jeans and t-shirt with my everyday carry setup. Would be harder for me if it weren't for my e-bike. :cool:
+1 I recommend a Hill people gear chest rig for on body carry for jogging/biking/hiking when the hip or appendix isn't a practical option.

Glad your okay. That is a very odd situation to be in.

My suggestion for carrying on a bike, Fanny pack. You don't have to buy one of those gun specific hip packs, any will do with a little ingenuity.

I have one that I tied a trigger guard holster into so the trigger is protected but it pops off when I draw the gun. It's actually very simple to put together. Mine is flat and can be hidden under a lose shirt if I choose. The advantage of having the pack exposed is someone thinking about jacking you will likely know your packing, but the one I have also gives the option of compete concealment. I will show you next time we hang out.

- H

Glad your okay. That is a very odd situation to be in.

My suggestion for carrying on a bike, Fanny pack. You don't have to buy one of those gun specific hip packs, any will do with a little ingenuity.

I have one that I tied a trigger guard holster into so the trigger is protected but it pops off when I draw the gun. It's actually very simple to put together. Mine is flat and can be hidden under a lose shirt if I choose. The advantage of having the pack exposed is someone thinking about jacking you will likely know your packing, but the one I have also gives the option of compete concealment. I will show you next time we hang out.

- H
Been using a fanny pack since before they started making them for a gun. In the warmer weather they work great. All my life I keep hearing they scream gun. I look around in summer here and think, damn there are a lot of people carrying now :s0140:

I had a fanny pack. Once. In the 90s. Before I knew better... lol.

If anything, I'd go pocket carry but that's a lot of junk swinging around down there when riding hard. (Puns intended) I went off a jump the other day and my phone flew out.

Been using a fanny pack since before they started making them for a gun. In the warmer weather they work great. All my life I keep hearing they scream gun. I look around in summer here and think, damn there are a lot of people carrying now :s0140:
I bet they look like this...
fannypacks-lowres-1033.jpg

-Robert

I had a fanny pack. Once. In the 90s. Before I knew better... lol.

If anything, I'd go pocket carry but that's a lot of junk swinging around down there when riding hard. (Puns intended) I went off a jump the other day and my phone flew out.

I bet they look like this...
View attachment 998064

-Robert
LOL, when I first got online on the old Usenet groups I kept hearing "they scream gun". For years I did not get this until one guy finally admitted to me at work that they had a crude gay term for them. Then it clicked. A lot of guys were scared they screamed gay, not gun :s0140:
That I got a great laugh out of. Last couple times I was on Jury duty I used my largest Uncle Mikes, which they sadly quit making :( . That way could carry some stuff while I was stuck in there all day. None of the LEO's wandering around ever seemed to give me a second glance. When we checked in I would toss it up on the x-ray belt and then head in to kill time.

Last Edited:
The one I use is super low profile and you might not even notice it against my black shirt since it's black. And like I said, you can't see it at all when under my shirt. I will have to take some pictures. That chest rig looks way cheesier than the hip pack I have. But it is still a Fanny pack, 😆

On a bike, a Fanny pack doesn't look out of place. Like you might have tools, or a phone, wallet, or a gun.

The one I use is super low profile and you might not even notice it against my black shirt since it's black. And like I said, you can't see it at all when under my shirt. I will have to take some pictures. That chest rig looks way cheesier than the hip pack I have. But it is still a Fanny pack, 😆

On a bike, a Fanny pack doesn't look out of place. Like you might have tools, or a phone, wallet, or a gun.
Back when Wife and I liked to head to the Mall just to kick around the damn things were everywhere. It was why I never worried about mine standing out. Same thing when we used to go to downtown Seattle for the day to kick around. The packs were everywhere. I have in the past seen some sold for a gun that would stand out a little more to those who "know", like the ones that had a large zipper that went all the way around. Hell now days most are so involved in whats on their phone screen I don't think they see anything.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top