JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Nice 3x4 opening morning. Tried some new Hornady ammo and don't like how they did the job but they completed the task! Didnt have my phone for a picture where I shot him so had to get one at the scout. Hell of a drag out of that canyon until my buddy showed up..

IMG_9809.jpg

Nice buck!

How far was the shot? Across, up, or down?

What rifle and caliber? Which variety of Hornady? What do you normally use and why do you like it better?

I miss my old Scout, never sell it if you don't have to.

It's not my scout, it's a hunting buddy's. Im not even sure what year it is but it's a sweet truck!
3006 165gr Hornady superformax (I think) with the sst bullet. About 70 yards across a draw slightly uphill from me. I typically use fusion but I was having light strike issues so changed out the firing pin and ammo just to be sure. What's weird about this ammo was it didn't go through. It's almost like it hit a rib and deflected upwards and came out by the spine. Very odd that that range and bullet didn't make it through a rib and end up on the opposite side of the chest or go all the way through. My great shot still ruined some good tenderloin and I blame the bullet ;)

After I shot this guy his buddy jumped out of a sage and he was a tank.. Huge spread on him.

Scouts are as much fun to keep running as the early Wagoneers. If you've got the time and a place to work on them they do make a fun on-going project! Nice looking buck.

Nice deer! Glad someone had some success . Didn't have any luck for blacktail or elk in NW oregon. No luck with blacktail in the White River unit either. Similar to @v0lcom13sn0w I saw lots of does but no bucks. Going to hunt the late archery deer season in the Willamette Valley though. Might as well give it a shot.

Nice deer! Glad someone had some success . Didn't have any luck for blacktail or elk in NW oregon. No luck with blacktail in the White River unit either. Similar to @v0lcom13sn0w I saw lots of does but no bucks. Going to hunt the late archery deer season in the Willamette Valley though. Might as well give it a shot.

unless u got a good spot in the wilamette unit, i would go to the mckenzie unit. had A LOT of success there 2nd archery season

I've never hunted the western side for archery but hunted east out of John day most my life. Rifle is a new thing for me but I'd like to get back into archery for elk at least. Got a new bow a while back and it's been nice getting back into shooting that. Trying to get my brother in law into it since my dad can't really cruise around like he used to.

I put in for the White river unit, since that's where I live, with no luck on drawing the tag. It used to be a guaranteed tag. Took my mother in law's boyfriend to my honey hole, on opening day (yesterday), and he shot a nice 3x4 at first light:

LZGoLnY.jpg

He was pretty happy.... Now I have to hunt western oregon and as you can see, I'd rather be here typing this, than dealing with the brush over there....:eek:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads