JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kilt him a bar when he was only three using 9mm. Hardcast 147gr

In your face griz! 10mm fends off griz but takes out his leg too. Hardcast 130gr (why so light for 10mm?)

A different 10mm story

That would be idea.....but I go up there every year to fish and it's about impossible to be in waders half way out in the river fighting a salmon with a 308. Makes more sence to run a pistol in a chest rig to me
I dunno. If I was fighting a salmon with a .308, I'd find a safer place to fish. I've heard they're crack shots. :s0062:

Ya your letting them do there business and they let you do yours....my situation is different, I'm seeking these problems animals out. So I definitely know what I'm getting myself into.....just like a cop running towards gunfire(well a good cop) while the citizens run from it. Chances are you'll never have a problem with the animals around your place if you take the proper precautions
In the years I have spent outdoors (hunting, hiking, camping, etc.), including time in Alaska (Kenai, Ketchikan, etc.), Montana, Idaho, NE WA, I have never seen any bear in the wild. I've seen their tracks and scat, but not the actual bear.

I don't seek them out - I have no reason to. As you say, I let them alone and they leave me alone.

In the years I have spent outdoors (hunting, hiking, camping, etc.), including time in Alaska (Kenai, Ketchikan, etc.), Montana, Idaho, NE WA, I have never seen any bear in the wild. I've seen their tracks and scat, but not the actual bear.

I don't seek them out - I have no reason to. As you say, I let them alone and they leave me alone.
Really? I like to walk out into the woods at random and say, "bring it on you bubblegumers!" "I hate you bubbleguming bears! I'm not scared of you!"

(J/k) :p

When one sees a bear in the woods, the natural "categorization" process comes to mind with difficulty: Sightings are pretty rare, and so "Bear" is not high on the list of critters (or beings) it might be. Prior to settling on "Bear", Hefty bag being propelled by a breeze has come to mind, even Gorilla. Guy wearing a Hefty bag for raingear has also ranked higher on the list of possibilities.
When I saw a black bear in my back yard coming after my duck flock one night, and I was really used to dealing with raccoons coming after my duck flock at night, the cognitive dissonance was pronounced. The eyes in my flashlight beam were huge and far apart. And even though they were right next to a little tree whose distance I knew, my brain spent a full second or two trying to make those huge eyes belong to a raccoon.

My grandmother used to live in Concrete Washington - not to far from the skagit river. She kept a big black labrador retreiver - she never had problems with bears due to that dog. I believe most black bears do not like dogs much.

My grandmother used to live in Concrete Washington ...
Ya sure it's not because all the bears there look like this? :s0070:

AA3B04D8-15B4-4905-B5C7-ABE1ABDBCB44.jpeg

My grandmother used to live in Concrete Washington - not to far from the skagit river. She kept a big black labrador retreiver - she never had problems with bears due to that dog. I believe most black bears do not like dogs much.
Aren't dogs a favorite snack for cats?

She wasnt worried about the "cats" the bears used to come into her back yard and the drainage ditch. We sold the house when she passed on 1987. Kind of hard to ask her.

I don't understand people and their desire to fight bears with pistols here in the US. It's plain stupid. You don't see professional hunters in Africa recommending a pistol to stop a buffalo, lion, elephant, or anything that will kill you. No, they use rifles that penetrate. But not here in America where we seem to try and use the smallest thing possible for everything.
Was unaware it is LEGAL to carry, use, or possess a handgun in Africa.

I don't understand people and their desire to fight bears with pistols here in the US. It's plain stupid. You don't see professional hunters in Africa recommending a pistol to stop a buffalo, lion, elephant, or anything that will kill you. No, they use rifles that penetrate. But not here in America where we seem to try and use the smallest thing possible for everything.
Are pistols even an option in Africa?

I suppose we could normalize people going into the woods, national parks, and so on to carry high powered rifles or lever-action rifles in a sufficient caliber or proper ammunition type...

Pistols, even 10mm or 44mag can be carried easily and even be concealed...

If it is an option, I'd very happy to pack while hiking or other activity my 44mag lever-action and then the 45-70 once they are back in stock...

My 2 brother in laws both are avid hunters and live in Alaska. They have hunted all over the state and harvested hundreds of animals. The older one was a Bear guide on Kodiak for a few years. Their rifle of choice while hunting? The lowly 30-06.
Don't get me wrong, if I were an AK guide responsible for clients in coastal brown bear country, I would carry a .338 or larger. In areas like Montana, Id, Wy or even inland Ak where you are talking smaller grizz, I would think a high power rifle with good bullets, .270 and up, is adequate. I never hunt with anything larger than 280 ai and I hunt all the places mentioned including some of the areas with highest concentrations of grizz in the lower 48.

My 2 brother in laws both are avid hunters and live in Alaska. They have hunted all over the state and harvested hundreds of animals. The older one was a Bear guide on Kodiak for a few years. Their rifle of choice while hunting? The lowly 30-06.
Don't get me wrong, if I were an AK guide responsible for clients in coastal brown bear country, I would carry a .338 or larger. In areas like Montana, Id, Wy or even inland Ak where you are talking smaller grizz, I would think a high power rifle with good bullets, .270 and up, is adequate. I never hunt with anything larger than 280 ai and I hunt all the places mentioned including some of the areas with highest concentrations of grizz in the lower 48.
At least you have a high powered rifle - these numnuts in the ops story did not have one available. I could see a 30-06 with heavy rounds doing the job. I do not go in the woods with out a firearm - even around here.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews