JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The wife of a friend in Australia cut this Brown Snake in 3 pieces with a shovel.
I had to cut and paste three pictures together to get it all in. Found it on the walkway in front of the door. :eek:

Brown Snake.jpg

I actually miss it, too! I lived for a short bit in the CH2M/DynCorp compound, southwest of the Poo Pond. My CHU was only about 300 yards from that hideousness, so when the evening wind would shift from westerly to easterly, we got the stench-blast something fierce, and fresh from the Pond. Every day...

But after 2 weeks in KAF, I shipped out to FOB Walton on the opposite side of that big mountain ridge to the north of the flightline, about 9 or 10 miles from KAF as the crow flies. I was there for 6 months - like a frik'n Club Med by comparison to KAF! Then I went to FOB Spin Boldak out in the far southeast at the Pakistan border for a bit, and then FOB Pasab/Wilson for another 6 months - that one really sucked. Lots and lots of rocket attacks and insider attacks. We even had a couple of truck bombs blow a hole through the Hescoes at the drone airfield and a buncha ragheads got in and killed a few guys before they all got snuffed. That one was bad...

Then I went to FOB Aziz Ula and FOB Sarkari Karez/Ramrod for a while. COP Terra Nova, way out in Indian Country, was a blast. Really exciting there - only a 1/4 mile from Jelawar, billed as the "birthplace" of the Taliban. I almost got hit there. I really enjoyed those places far away from KAF, the higher-ups, and that stench of the Poo Pond! But for my final final 6 months I was back at KAF and back in that same smelly compound. But by then the WWTP down in Deep South had finally come on line and the Poo Pond was practically dry. So, the smell was markedly reduced for my last few months in country! :)
Spin Boldak no way I was there for about 4 months in 2010 I think, also spent some time at FOB Tarin Kowt, the Aussies are great, I think the very best of the Camps was the German base at Camp Marmal up near Mazar, they had a pool, yes a friggen pool and a bar beach club with real cold beer and the hottest German soldier girls I have ever seen, it was like a frat boy party house up there, then came FOB (Camp) Northern Lights for the Nord troops, super hot Swedish soldiers lololol. I almost got sent to Chapman/Solerno for talking crap to my super a-hole boss, but cooler heads prevailed , man Khost was just the worse area to have been at, the a-hole in the center of a huge a-hole country, lololol, hey the poo pond gawd I still cant describe the smell to people, it was almost unbearable at times, I think I had conjunctivitis at least 8 times over 2 years with all that crap flying around. What DFAC did you eat in when you were in KAF, I managed Harvest Falcon 1 in SouthPark, and Niagara for a while. Yeah I heard that the Canadians cleaned up the poo pond at some point lolol, as if anything could clean that mess up, gawd the amount of money/energy spent on the @#$thole huh, what a waste.

IMG_3106.jpg 219500_10150163083885064_730365063_6990999_737199_o.jpg 10257458_10152355003728728_4288868732713410677_o.jpg

Spin Boldak no way I was there for about 4 months in 2010 I think, also spent some time at FOB Tarin Kowt, the Aussies are great, I think the very best of the Camps was the German base at Camp Marmal up near Mazar, they had a pool, yes a friggen pool and a bar beach club with real cold beer and the hottest German soldier girls I have ever seen, it was like a frat boy party house up there, then came FOB (Camp) Northern Lights for the Nord troops, super hot Swedish soldiers lololol. I almost got sent to Chapman/Solerno for talking crap to my super a-hole boss, but cooler heads prevailed , man Khost was just the worse area to have been at, the a-hole in the center of a huge a-hole country, lololol, hey the poo pond gawd I still cant describe the smell to people, it was almost unbearable at times, I think I had conjunctivitis at least 8 times over 2 years with all that crap flying around. What DFAC did you eat in when you were in KAF, I managed Harvest Falcon 1 in SouthPark, and Niagara for a while. Yeah I heard that the Canadians cleaned up the poo pond at some point lolol, as if anything could clean that mess up, gawd the amount of money/energy spent on the @#$thole huh, what a waste.

View attachment 1459030 View attachment 1459031 View attachment 1459038
Sorry, I lost the thread that holds this post. Found it cuz it bumped back up in my Watched Threads...

Never got up north except for the occasional trip to Bagram. Furthest north I spent any length of time was at Shindand a coupla times for a few weeks each time. Fixing up their fuel storage depots and designing new ones for them. The DFAC was pretty good there, plus I had my own Gator for gittin' around - permanently requisitioned for the entire length of my stay both times! Like having a phuq'n private rig, just like back in the States! Made a couple trips out to FOBs Apache and Wolverine to fix an issue with their ROWPU. Nice Huey rides out there and back. Never got a FOB with lots of nice hawties like those Krauts and Swedes... :(

Regarding the DFACs around KAF, I mostly ate at the American one that was between the PX and The Boardwalk - I don't remember the name. There was also an Indian DFAC over near the TOC that had some decent curry and other Indian food. I liked that one cuz I like Indian dishes and also they kept Sky News on the TVs instead of the BS rap music videos in the American DFAC. :s0140: Also went to the Brit DFAC on the far side of The Boardwalk (Geez, that was a long walk from the CSO!) from time to time cuz they had some good ice cream pretty often, which the American DFAC never seemed to have in decent supply, consistency, or taste.

Lastly, there was a DFAC on the far (north) side of the flightline that would serve ribeyes and lobster tails every Friday night. If I could snag a Gator or a Mule (damned long drive around that runway!), we'd pile 3 or 4 guys in it and head on over. Now, when I say "ribeyes and lobster tails", it ain't like you think... The cooks were TCNs, and apparently they had orders to cook everything to "FDA" regulations" or some shiit. The ribeyes were always at least medium well, and the lobster musta been boiled for far too long, cuz their consistency was just short of rubber... :rolleyes:

But all in all, I loved the time OCONUS, cuz you could do your job really well, unhindered by a lot of higher-ups strutting around and shiiting on yer game... :)

Had to post this one, stenciled on the Texas barrier right outside the PX... :s0140::s0140::s0140:

Afghan democracy.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads