JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ammo type and placement are the key factors for dangerous game.

That said, the NP ranger I met on the Kenai (out looking for a missing hiker) had a .458 rifle (I was carrying a DW .44 Mag with Barnes 300 gr heavy bear loads).

At least you have a high powered rifle - these numnuts in the ops story did not have one available. I could see a 30-06 with heavy rounds doing the job. I do not go in the woods with out a firearm - even around here.
I'm more concerned with the two legged critters than the four when I'm out and about.

I would not use one of them.
You then, would be of the unfortunate few never having the pleasure of hunting with and working for a woman Outfitter in Lincoln, Montana who continued to run the business 25 years after her husband's death.

Knocked off her horse and her leg broken by a big boar Grizzly.

She killed him with her Savage Model 99 .284.

Got back on her horse and finished her solo night ride to the corrals.

Not only are the big magnums shunned by Guides in the Bob, a client with one may even today cause a raised eyebrow and a strong suggestion to "check the sights": (Outfitter lingo that translates to, "Let's see if this guy can shoot what he brought.") Such healthy skepticism is born of repeated experience.

Generally (even in the majority of Alaska), a guide's rifle (IF he carries one) is one eminently capable toward the game pursued by the client. A Caribou guide will probably have a good Caribou rifle, etc. Yes, a Grizzly guide would be smart to take the minimum .338 advice, as would the client.

Grizzlies don't really like people. In five trips to Alaska (none guided), one of which Grizzlies were seen at least once every day, I never felt scared or vulnerable passing through willow drainages having taken proper precautions to avoid and warn(armed only with a .270 and a .357). I hunted Caribou and Sheep and carried what a Caribou or Sheep guide might carry.

Lately I dont go anywhere without a firearm
I work from home.
1000014611.jpg

I do not keep insurance on my vehicles because I plan to get into an accident - I carry insurance because I might. To me carrying a rifle that can stop a 800 - 1500 pound animal makes sense, especially when its intent is unknown.. Grizzly bear attacks are rare but they do happen. I would rather be prepared than to hope for the best outcome.

I do not keep insurance on my vehicles because I plan to get into an accident - I carry insurance because I might. To me carrying a rifle that can stop a 800 - 1500 pound animal makes sense, especially when its intent is unknown.. Grizzly bear attacks are rare but they do happen. I would rather be prepared than to hope for the best outcome.
I'll take my chances with a hand gun while up in Alaska fishing

I never felt scared or vulnerable passing through willow drainages
This brings to mind my bowhunting buddy's tale of packing an elk out at night in Montana grizzly country with his oldest son. They both were packing .44 magnum pistols in chest rigs. While walking near a creek bed, the beam from his headlamp revealed a huge body stepping/crashing out of the willows right in front of them. Fortunately, it was a moose not a grizzly. (Not that a moose couldn't be dangerous as well.) He confided that, had it been a grizzly, it was so close he's doubtful he would have had time to get a shot off.

This brings to mind my bowhunting buddy's tale of packing an elk out at night in Montana grizzly country with his oldest son. They both were packing .44 magnum pistols in chest rigs. While walking near a creek bed, the beam from his headlamp revealed a huge body stepping/crashing out of the willows right in front of them. Fortunately, it was a moose not a grizzly. (Not that a moose couldn't be dangerous as well.) He confided that, had it been a grizzly, it was so close he's doubtful he would have had time to get a shot off.
A moose is more likely to attack you than a griz.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews