JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have almost been ran over by a mule deer packing the mail. Alot of animals can ruin your day if you dont keep your wits about you.

Historically speaking, the moose has done more damage.
Historically speaking, a chainsaw has done more damage (3/8" dado groove in my left shin bone).

I have been charged by a black bear and almost run over by an elk. The black bear broke off the charge at about 30 yards when it realized I wasn't the elk I was pretending to be. The elk just didn't see me. Historically, moose have done no damage to me. Mosquitos on the other hand...

This brings to mind my bowhunting buddy's tale of packing an elk out at night in Montana grizzly country with his oldest son. They both were packing .44 magnum pistols in chest rigs. While walking near a creek bed, the beam from his headlamp revealed a huge body stepping/crashing out of the willows right in front of them. Fortunately, it was a moose not a grizzly. (Not that a moose couldn't be dangerous as well.) He confided that, had it been a grizzly, it was so close he's doubtful he would have had time to get a shot off.
North of the Canadian border (or anywhere there are moose for that matter), more people are injured/killed by moose encounters than encounters with bears.

North of the Canadian border (or anywhere there are moose for that matter), more people are injured/killed by moose encounters than encounters with bears.
Yeah. After @solv3nt posted, I Googled it. I sure would hate to "encounter" a moose standing in the middle of the road at night at high speed.

Of course, there was the time I was riding with my dad over near Juntura where it was open range. The night was pitch black and rainy. Dad was barreling along at about 75mph in the old Dodge Power Wagon. A huge black angus just materialized right next to the driver-side window. We couldn't believe it didn't take the mirror off with its head. It was that close. That certainly slowed Dad down a bit.

Edit to add: Dad wasn't even wearing a seat belt.

Yeah. After @solv3nt posted, I Googled it. I sure would hate to "encounter" a moose standing in the middle of the road at night at high speed.

Of course, there was the time I was riding with my dad over near Juntura where it was open range. The night was pitch black and rainy. Dad was barreling along at about 75mph in the old Dodge Power Wagon. A huge black angus just materialized right next to the driver-side window. We couldn't believe it didn't take the mirror off with its head. It was that close. That certainly slowed Dad down a bit.
We had a close call with a buffalo in Yellowstone a few years ago.

Atleast we don't have hippos in our lakes.
1705081512355.png

They have a lot of open range on highway 20 between 395 and Austin Junction. It always makes one take notice when you go around a corner and you have three or four cattle standing in the middle of the road. Hit one and it may be the most exspensive beef you can buy. Fortunately after experiencing this a few times makes one extra cautious.

Edit to add: Dad wasn't even wearing a seat belt.
Yes - most of the encounters are the vehicular kind, but the other significant percentage is the dog kind; people in Alaska buy dogs (especially Huskies/Malamutes or GSDs) because they think they will protect them from bears. Well it turns out that the natural enemy of the moose is the wolf, and as far as a moose is concerned, most dogs are wolves, so they stomp them and often the owners (who not infrequently decide to try to protect their dog(s)).

I don't understand people and their desire to fight bears with pistols here in the US. It's plain stupid. You don't see professional hunters in Africa recommending a pistol to stop a buffalo, lion, elephant, or anything that will kill you. No, they use rifles that penetrate. But not here in America where we seem to try and use the smallest thing possible for everything.
Tell that to Razor Dobbs ....;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads