JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the boy and I have been loading up some ammo and talking about me finally getting a chance to do some more hunting. And of course I still have to finish the Hard top on the 48 Willys CJ-2A before we can go. SO it looks like some time in MARCH for a 4 days Rabbit hunting with a day of Coyote over SIlverlake way.

MY work as a paving co Dump truck driver screws everything until in NOV each year so its been a long time since I could do any real fall hunting in 15 months I retire and might spend the first two years JUST HUNTING LOL.

But for now I got it so bad, here it is still 3 months away and I am already doing meal planning for a 4 day trip over to Central Oregon for the Bunnies and Yotes. When you have a teeny tiny WIllys jeep you have to plan everything and everything better be something you really need as there is very little room to pack stuff in the back of a Willys.

Will try to make due with Rem 870 20" 8rd shotgun and my Savage model 12 in .243 I might squeeze a .22 rifle like my Rem 572 in.

So the boy and I have been loading up some ammo and talking about me finally getting a chance to do some more hunting. And of course I still have to finish the Hard top on the 48 Willys CJ-2A before we can go. SO it looks like some time in MARCH for a 4 days Rabbit hunting with a day of Coyote over SIlverlake way.
So with a hard top are you putting a rack on top for added transport space? Glad to see you're going to get some time to go now instead of having to wait till after retiring.

So with a hard top are you putting a rack on top for added transport space? Glad to see you're going to get some time to go now instead of having to wait till after retiring.
No with about 48 HP at the rear wheels last thing I want is crap hanging out in the wind. The top is actually intended to help clean up the drag the open jeep suffers from. I have pretty much 1 cu yd of cargo space with the top on it. Like a huge backpack lol I do how ever have build in mounts to put a rack on it so for instance we harvest a deer while the jeep is full of camping gear. The rack I have designed is a flat pack so it will take up little room when not mounted. I also will be building a box extension that attaches in place of the tailgate ( it then moving to the rear of the extension) this will ad an exterior 15" x 36" x 15" cargo area. Plenty big enough for a quartered mule deer and most of an elk.

Last Edited:
I used to do stuff like that in a 57 CJ5
F-head 4cyl and a T-90 trans
50-55MPH max
I have a very well built 134L making 140cuin at 7.2-1 compression with a custom Weber DGV carb on a custom aluminum intake and A Tri Y header based exhaust. With a 30% OD On level ground with two big people and 200lbs of stuff I can cruise at 60mph and easy hit 70mph I do get better mileage at 55-60mph approx 17-17.3mpg. Though in its stock form no OD no fancy engine work in high school I had this jeep up to 80mph as clocked by a then new Honda 750-4.

I have a very well built 134L making 140cuin at 7.2-1 compression with a custom Weber DGV carb on a custom aluminum intake and A Tri Y header based exhaust. With a 30% OD On level ground with two big people and 200lbs of stuff I can cruise at 60mph and easy hit 70mph I do get better mileage at 55-60mph approx 17-17.3mpg. Though in its stock form no OD no fancy engine work in high school I had this jeep up to 80mph as clocked by a then new Honda 750-4.
Then I put a 302 Ford in it.
:)

so here's a very useful Jeep trailer if you need. PM/Convo me it yer interested in details.

Resized_20181121_084717.jpeg Resized_20190625_133958-1.jpeg

in the old days (60 years ago) every jeep had a tow bar, or a V8 transplant. a trip to eastern Oregon in stock CJ would be pure torture.
We have done as far as 310 miles in a day from Silverton to Cougar Reservoir south of hwy 20 with about 80 on rough forest service roads. And it was a full day but no trouble. As I built my 2A for long distance travel. And with the addition of the Hard top coming this spring it will be no different then any other small off road rig on a trip. Sure I can't blast along at 70mph up over Santiam pass but so what.

1. When you're young and broke, you long-haul drive 'em.
2. When you get a little smarter and a little more money, you flat-tow 'em.
3. When you've got more dough, you get a car trailer, tow rig and trailer 'em.
I'm 65 and been riding or driving this Willys since I was 5 I did not built it to be towed I built it to have fun in it. My longest trip in it was over 800 miles in a 4 day weekend right before college in Sept 76 when we drove all the way to Alvord Hot Springs on the East side of the Steens. Some of us are just built for fun.

Here we are at Lookout point at the coast this trip was 231 miles went clear up to Tillamook via Carlton

hUzDxYg.jpg

Here we are at Cougar Dam this trip was 310 miles in one day Santiam Jct to Tombstone through the woods to Mckenzie Bridge

2ZteNdv.jpg

a couple shots of the engine

iWi6DP8.jpg

08TBlJ0.jpg

Interior

HyWTsmN.jpg

Rear

5nDMM5U.jpg

Last Edited:
I'm 65 and been riding or driving this Willys since I was 5 I did not built it to be towed I built it to have fun in it. My longest trip in it was over 800 miles in a 4 day weekend right before college in Sept 76 when we drove all the way to Alvord Hot Springs on the East side of the Steens. Some of us are just built for fun.
You're a young 65

👍

That is a sweet looking ride!

I'm only a few years younger than you and I took my son over to Hart Mountain in November. He possessed a bow tag for mule deer. We took my extra cab 1998 Dodge Ram with a 6 1/2 foot bed and canopy. We barely had room for his buck with all of the stuff we had packed in the pickup. I don't think we would have had any chance of making the trip with your Jeep, even eliminating nonessentials. Of course, it was below freezing and snowing much of the time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top