JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't be the only one tired of all the negative vibes from political situation, so why not have a fun thread talking about our favorite shooting sports, why we enjoy them, what gear we use, etc.?

For the sake of the thread, it can be any discipline or sport: bullseye, bowling pin, cowboy action, metallic silhouette shooting, sporting clays, multi-gun, turkey shoots, skeet ... you name it.

Enjoy! :)

Back when I lived in Reno there was a shotgun range I used to go to with my dad uncle and brother to compete in 5 stand. Sage Hills. It was probably one of my most enjoyable shooting activities, as I was with family and got to shoot. Sadly Sage Hills Sporting Clays permanently closed up shop.

My introduction to competitive shooting was via GSSF when I lived in the southeast. Traveled to all the matches in the SE, shooting a Gen 2 G19...

Sure was fun, learned a lot about being competitive, won some money and a couple of guns too...

Dabbled in IDPA and IPSC a bit, but then moved west and never really got back into it... Kids and life kinda derailed it a bit :D

Now I prefer Trap with a Lamber 2097 O/U...

Or just taking my steel setup out to the woods and just having at it with a variety of firearms... But always practice most with my EDC, currently a Shield .45...

Hunting, primarily bird, but also furry things, varmints included. 16yd and 27yd trap, never was much good at International trap. Informal clay bird shooting. There was a skeet range at North Island Naval Station, I sure miss that!!

I started out shooting IPSC/USPSA Limited, not fast or rich enough for Open, but switched to IDPA for a more realistic experience and because IPSC round counts were climbing. Never done any competitive target shooting, but I sure like .22cal steel silhouette. Speed steel is cool too but I don't have the speed any more.

I may be slow, but I'm as inaccurate as anybody....

While bowling pins are most entertaining, given I usually don't make it past the 3rd round, so driving to the range takes longer than my turno_O

Got too geezered up for cowboy action these days. 'Speed' steel still enjoyable. Never did find any shot gun game that held my attention.

Teaching the grand kids is excellent pace. They like 22s!:D:D:D

Rimfire Benchrest Silhouettes. Chickens, Pigs, Turkeys, and Rams. 75 yds to 150......Its a hoot in the wind. Most of the guys are running CZ 455's with around a 6x18 or 6.5x20 Vari x II. We dial to the range w/a 15 moa per rev target turret. It takes a but of moa to take the SK Standard Plus out to 150 yds!! 10 lb weight limit on the entire gun/scope. Range is on the gorge with a berm just upwind of the target racks, he who see the switches during a ten shot run usually wins. 40x40 scores are very rare, 32 to 36 will win occasionally.....But ......the best part?.. well thats just spending time with Dad!!!

Does paintball count?

If so I really enjoy paintball as of lately. Lots of fun.

My son (8 yrs old) and I started doing a rim fire challenge. It's a two gun event-pistol and rifle. Ten shots per gun per round on steel. He really took to it and on occasion beats my time! He was having a little trouble holding up my heavy barrel 10/22 so I did the most logical thing, bought him a new 10/22.

My son (8 yrs old) and I started doing a rim fire challenge. It's a two gun event-pistol and rifle. Ten shots per gun per round on steel. He really took to it and on occasion beats my time! He was having a little trouble holding up my heavy barrel 10/22 so I did the most logical thing, bought him a new 10/22.

Very cool. When my kiddos are older (they are only 3 and 5 now) I look forward to time with them like that. :)

I did High Powered Rifle Competition ...Made it on two different Post Rifle Teams while in the Army...even made The President's One Hundred...
That was kinda cool ...
But my favorite shooting is very casual plinking...of the "Can you hit that odd colored rock / leaf or spent shotshell ...?"... At a given distance...One shot , off hand ...that kinda thing...

I enjoy shooting , the good-natured heckling that goes on , hanging out with like minded folks...the BS during the clean up of the shooting area....its all fun for me.
Andy

I really enjoy IDPA. I hated the arbitrary rules the local clubs applied that were not part of the normal IDPA stuff that would disqualify you. You build muscle memory based on one set or rules, then under stress you are expected to remember a whole new set. Didn't work well for me. I'll do it again after I move outta the Portland Metro area and see if I can find a new club.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top