JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I grew up in nevada, where i shot jackrabbits by the thousands. That skill set me up naturally for competitive trap shooting and even big game hunting and game birds. However, when i was a kid, my dad used to take me out every weekend to punch paper. He was the smart azzed type that would shoot the tacks off and the target would fall off the backer board. Because of him, i love competitive rifle shooting. Shooting tight groups and placing those bullets where im aiming (at any distance) is what i strive for and enjoy the most.

I shoot both idpa and uspsa. I prefer idpa but the lack of enforcement/knowledge of rules drives me nuts. Uspsa is really fun but I'm just starting. Alot of new stuff to get used to. Plan to be master in both by the end of next season.

In the early 80s I went to my gun club Clark Rifles to shoot my revolvers. A tall man in
a 'smokey the bear' hat asked me if I was there to shoot the DCM Garand match? I
said what match? I have no rifle? They loaned me a club M1 rifle and sold me the ammo.
When the DCM ran matches 30/06 ammo was free to clubs just pay shipping. I think they
charged $4 for the ammo. We could keep the brass, bandoleers and stripper clips. I had
to shoot 3 matches to purchase a one per lifetime M-1 Garand from the DCM for $165
shipping included.:rolleyes: I have been shooting Highpower rifle ever since. Missed a lot of years
when the kids were young. Me and my son were into riding our dirt bikes at Brown's Camp.
After the kids left the house I got back into shooting Highpower Rifle. I also shot IPPSC
pistol matches years ago. Last year I got into shooting IDPA matches. Lots of fun. I now
shoot Highpower Rifle and Garand/Vintage rifle matches at the local gun clubs. I am proud
to say I made Governor's 10 last year! Not this year though.:eek:
Why are so many reluctant to shoot a "Match". First time you won't do to well? It is
all a learning experience. Give it a try.
SFP .JPG

Last Edited:
My shotgun
My 1911
A furbearer/varmint tag
Corbett logging roads near my ma's place (or on her property)
A bag full of rabbits
If I'm legal for 'em, a few grouse too.
Maybe bring a buddy
That's my favorite.

Full auto subgun shooting. ARPC has a match the 3rd Saturday of the month. Visitors welcome. Recently we've been having PCC compete on the same course of fire we shoot, just a different category. I think November is the last shoot for this year. We'll pick up again next spring.

Full auto subgun shooting. ARPC has a match the 3rd Saturday of the month. Visitors welcome. Recently we've been having PCC compete on the same course of fire we shoot, just a different category. I think November is the last shoot for this year. We'll pick up again next spring.

I thought that ARPC stopped doing competitive subgun matches? We used to go down there every year for a big weekend competition. I have brought home trophies from there. But it was not just subguns. They had "real" assualt rifle and crew served for belt feds. I have a trophy in every catagory.
My fun shoot had some imagination into it. I was part of a Gun club in east King county. This was back in the 90's. We came up with a jungle trail walk. Using steel plates on a 5' pole. When you hit the target the plate would fall to the bottom. Then your target was dead. We also had moving targets on a wire or cable. That was a cardboard target and we counted hits for score. It was fun to walk through the woods on a trail looking for targets. The thing was though. If you did not see a target and walked past it. You were dead and the game was over. I have not done that for a long time and would love to do it again.

Last Edited:
Fun steel/Steel Challenge Match was a lot of fun. Then Kitsap Rifle and Revolver ran into their problems and I got out of the habit. Boomershoot was fun, in a challenging way.

I thought that ARPC stopped doing competitive subgun matches?
Nope, still has the competition shoot every month. Last month was zombie/halloween themed. You have to bring your own gun to this event, or borrow one from someone willing to loan their gun.

We used to go down there every year for a big weekend competition. I have brought home trophies from there. But it was not just subguns. They had "real" assualt rifle and crew served for belt feds. I have a trophy in every catagory.
That was the annual Saddle Butte Machine-gun Shoot. Insurance cost did away with that fun event. This is where dealers set up tables of all kinds of full auto fun for people to shoot if they just bought the ammo from the dealer.

I'm going to miss that event. It's what got me started stamp collecting.

I started with GSSF out of curiosity and stunk but enjoyed the hell out of shooting more than a single static target. I continued with GSSF for a few years and improved a bit but there are only 2 local matches a year so when I saw that safefire had indoor asi I tried that thinking it would be good
practice for GSSF (different sport altogether but still multiple targets on a timer) and really enjoyed that for a couple months until they abandoned running the asi matches. This year I finally got around to trying uspsa and am absolutely hooked other than the fact that all the local matches are on Saturday and I work about 30 saturdays a year so I've only made about 8 matches and resorted to driving up to the Seattle area last month for a Sunday match.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top