JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Smoked (head on) mackerel from the Rooskie deli a hard roll with a ton of red onion sliced thin with sour cream and washed down with a shot of Russian vodka with a pint chaser. A side order of pickled beets if they have any left. Then go to an outside table with a cup of super dark black coffee with heavy cream and a cigar to watch the world go by.
After a few pilgrimages the owner suggested his stash of the hard stuff be included to make an authentic Russian mid day lunch. I wholeheartedly agreed. We are now lunch buds.

My current favorite lunch...

Thick slices on white bread with Tillamook Swiss or sharp cheddar.

Just ate 2 with cheddar. Yum!

37E1BA2C-6F87-4821-930C-D52298F0EF37_zpsnp5enwgk.jpg

I try to save money by taking a sandwich to work, but that's usually gone by 9 or 10. I can hear my stomach gnawing on my backbone by 11. I've had nicknames in different workplaces over the years, but "Tapeworm" remains a perennial. For me, there's one advantage to working downtown:
- Kung pao chicken on rice with green beans
- Potbelly (far superior IMHO to Subway and Jimmie John's)
- Pho
- Salad bars (with meat of course)
- Mongolian grill
- Greek gyros
- Food carts (Portland is legendary for ethnic varieties)
- Salmon
- Spicy chicken udon
- Trying to avoid fried food, but clam strips are sooo good.

For me, lunch is a way to socialize with co-workers (no idiots allowed), walk a little and break up the day. In a couple more years, I'll retire and reheat leftovers for lunch every day. Really looking forward to that!

Last Edited:
In honor of mjbskwim, as he's pointed out a lack of upbeat threads of late, I'd like to start a positive thread. About lunch, and what's for it.

Ever since I was a kid, Lunch has always been my favorite meal of the day. It was the meal which I could socialize with friends, it was the meal that got me through the day, and often it's the most simple of fare. My favorite lunch - ever since I could remember - has been a toasted (not grilled) cheese sandwhich with some chips as a side. The sandwich, for me has only evolved in so much as I prefer sourdough bread now, vs the white or wheat we used as a kid. Bread was not a food my parents spent frivolously on - it was the cheapest of staples and they bought the cheapest of bread - whatever they could get 2 for a buck back then, which was store brand white or wheat, or when it was on sale, we'd hit up the Franz outlet and load up on their honey cracked wheat (still a favorite of mine) for the same price. We had a chest freezer, stand up freezer, and a fridge/freezer combo as a kid. Growing up with my grandparents as my parents, they were depression era children and we ALWAYS had lots of stored foods - lot of frozen left overs, lots of home canned goods, and we would buy bread in bulk and freeze all but a couple loaves. Many a lunch was a simple cheese sandwhich - usually toasted cheese. Pop a couple slices into the toaster, get it nice and brown. Slap a slice of Tillamook cheddar between. Microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese. You could make them in 60 seconds. Crunchy toasty bread with melty cheese.

If the weather was really crappy or it was a sit-down lunch for everyone, we'd have canned soup with the sandwiches. Vegetable for me - I was the odd one out who didn't (and still don't) like Tomato soup. We would usually have chips around - it varied on which was cheaper, Doritos sometimes, sometimes plain tater chips, sometimes weird store brand stuff that didn't taste right. Costco was a boon because they could get the name brand stuff as cheap or cheaper than store branded stuff from Albertson's or Safeway. We also used to have Super Food Barn which was great. But they closed when I was about 6 or 7.

To go with lunch it was usually milk, sometimes with Nestle chocolate powder mixed in. Sometimes I'd get a soda - RC Cola for the longest time until the local stores seemed to stop carrying them. Then it became Shasta.

I still rank the simple toasted cheese as my favorite lunch. My wife doesn't like the dryness of the bread, so she gets hers grilled more often than not. My kiddo tends to favor his mom's food tastes.

For a big lunch I'll have a couple crunchy zesty Vlassic dill pickles with a couple sandwhiches. Trying to keep my soda intake low I usually now have coffee or water. It's nice on a nasty day like today to chow down on some comfort food and let the mind wander while I watch my boy playing, remembering what it was like when I was his age.

So what's your favorite lunch?
I LOVE a good sandwich room Otto's.

Ham and provolone with Dijon on rye is always a good lunch... Chili-Mac is also a reasonable lunch, or whatever is left from making my daughters lunch...

The problem is lunches from home never make it past 11:00 am, regardless of what I've had for breakfast... Unfortunately around 12:30-13:00, the stomach starts gnawing again...

Sigh... Then it's of to Taco H3ll for some bean burritos... Belch...

I had a favorite lunch but after reading this thread It would seem that "Lunch" is my favorite since I went "YAh" to most of the post.
I do like the lamb burger medium rare with Swiss cheese and bacon added served at Foster Burger washed down with a good beer.

Let's see, A Dave's Favorite burger with a side of Wilbur Beans and Coleslaw at Famous Dave's. Cooked medium when I can talk them into it. And a lunch combo at the same place with ribs and chicken wings (Wilbur's Revenge). Or a bowel of Hue Spicey Beef Soup at LaSen or Bambuza. When I can get to Korean BBQ, I want some bibimbap with lots of gojujang, kim chi,
and bulgogi (split with my wife).

Let's see, A Dave's Favorite burger with a side of Wilbur Beans and Coleslaw at Famous Dave's. Cooked medium when I can talk them into it. And a lunch combo at the same place with ribs and chicken wings (Wilbur's Revenge). Or a bowel of Hue Spicey Beef Soup at LaSen or Bambuza. When I can get to Korean BBQ, I want some bibimbap with lots of gojujang, kim chi,
and bulgogi (split with my wife).
Just had to bring up Korean food didn't ya?:mad:
:D

If at home and being lazy (often) I eat a package of chicken top ramen, add creole seasoning and two eggs.
And a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

If you ever in Camas go to Miss Nola's southern restaurant and everything there is good.
But save room for the bread pudding, it is forking amazing!

About collard greens, I worked with a guy at this door to door sales job when I was 18. He was an old black guy long retired Airborne.
Best salesman I've ever met. He invited us all over for a Christmas dinner his wofe cooked. They were from Alabama or something.
She cooked a collard green that I like more than the ham or brownies she made. I think I had 3rds of it.

Amazing!

Never had any anywhere close since.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews