JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Made my first batch of Kimchi yesterday.. about a gallon and a half. Gonna have some of that and rice with a few eggs.
hope I don't die.. report soon

Kimchi is good. Lasts long too.

My new "favorite" is cup noodles. The staple of a college student's diet. I tolerate shrimp the best, no corn.
Yea, that stuff is addictive and too good. Shrimp for me too.
I added a few sprinkles of micron shrimp that I keep in the freezer to my experiment.. I musta threw out my fish sauce but that stuff is so strong anyway. There's an infinite number of recipes for Kimchi and mine is yet another one.. I took parts from quite a few recipes/how-to's and winged it. I'm sure it's hotter'n f.

Yea, that stuff is addictive and too good. Shrimp for me too.
I added a few sprinkles of micron shrimp that I keep in the freezer to my experiment.. I musta threw out my fish sauce but that stuff is so strong anyway. There's an infinite number of recipes for Kimchi and mine is yet another one.. I took parts from quite a few recipes/how-to's and winged it. I'm sure it's hotter'n f.

Oh man. I love me some kimchi! My dad used to make it, he loved crap like that. Anything, it seemed, that would stink up the house. Mom hated it all of course. I've made it a time or three and the last two times I did something wrong because it never turned out. We've got no Korean markets anywhere near us so I have never been able to use the chilies they do. I'm just toasting de arbol chilies and grinding. I buy a bottle once in a while, or a serving from Du's. Spendy for fermented napa cabbage.

Oh man. I love me some kimchi! My dad used to make it, he loved crap like that. Anything, it seemed, that would stink up the house. Mom hated it all of course. I've made it a time or three and the last two times I did something wrong because it never turned out. We've got no Korean markets anywhere near us so I have never been able to use the chilies they do. I'm just toasting de arbol chilies and grinding. I buy a bottle once in a while, or a serving from Du's. Spendy for fermented napa cabbage.
Amazon brother,Amazon.
I get the paste you need to mix with whatever type of veggies you want for kimchi. They have the powder also to make the paste.
There isn't a Korean village in Portland?:eek:
Well if you really need a fix there is a plenty big enough community in Tacoma. And plenty of fresh kimchi:D

There isn't a Korean village in Portland?

I'm sure there is. Not sure if I can google "Korean area of Portland" though.:D Well yes I can....It shows just Asian markets in general. I've asked at a couple of plain old Asian markets over the years and they direct me to the foil pack "Kimchi Mix". Like packaged taco/spaghetti sauce? Once I was led to some terrible old looking bottle of some dried chilies, had nothing to do with kimchi. I'm just a clueless round-eye I guess! :oops:

Methinks the Koreans tend to keep their best stuff close to the vest. Just like "chinese" food really isnt - at least most of the crap served at most restaurants.

Not a kimchi fan myself but I'm sure you can find the good stuff - or ingredients to make it yourself - with more detectiving. Might require going to some lengths - like hiring a PI to follow your favorite first-gen Korean immigrant... (because if YOU follow them, it's stalking...) or befriending the child of a first gen immigrant and getting them to spill the beans. :D

Or go to the source - marry a first gen immigrant that likes to cook. Even if it means polygamy. Especially if Prime Wife likes korean food too, she may warm to the concept easier.

Methinks the Koreans tend to keep their best stuff close to the vest. Just like "chinese" food really isnt - at least most of the crap served at most restaurants.

Not a kimchi fan myself but I'm sure you can find the good stuff - or ingredients to make it yourself - with more detectiving. Might require going to some lengths - like hiring a PI to follow your favorite first-gen Korean immigrant... (because if YOU follow them, it's stalking...) or befriending the child of a first gen immigrant and getting them to spill the beans. :D

Or go to the source - marry a first gen immigrant that likes to cook. Even if it means polygamy. Especially if Prime Wife likes korean food too, she may warm to the concept easier.

Krap sakes....All I want is a damned bag of the dried chilies like Korean mama uses! Polygamy, find me a Korean lady to marry. :eek: Seems an awfully lot to go through just for a decent batch of kimchi? :D

Krap sakes....All I want is a damned bag of the dried chilies like Korean mama uses! Polygamy, find me a Korean lady to marry. :eek: Seems an awfully lot to go through just for a decent batch of kimchi? :D

Think of all the other benefits though - at least till she turns 30 and her face slides off :eek: You know you want to...

I actually went to Winco to try to get my powder yesterday (no luck and I kinda figured) and while there talked to a stunning Korean gal of maybe 60 but looked like a 16 yr old really.. anyway. So I went to Fubon up the road for most of my good stuff.
Be prepared to ask a few people stuff as many of the staff don't speak English. They've got an aisle of the pre-made paste and chili powders and stuff on the next.
Fubonn Shopping Center | The Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon | Portland, Oregon
My favorite Korean market is H-Mart.. right next to Bi-Mart but it's farther for me now so hey. It's world-class famous..
Home Page NJ

So my Kimchi is spicy as f and not fermented yet.. I like it.
I've got a bunch. And you're right.. a pint jar of the stuff is like $5 pre-made.

No kimchi, T Bone fried potatoes with bacon onion and peppers.

IMG_1256_zpskd5p49md.jpg

Amazon.com : Tae-kyung Korean Red Chili Pepper Flakes Powder Gochugaru, 1 Pound : Gourmet Food : Grocery & Gourmet Food
There's your detective work;)
This is from a born in Korea girl who learned from her opa
Soak your veggies,( napa cabbage,dakon radishi,green onions,cucumbers,whatever) in salted water till its soft then rinse
Take the flakes or this paste is easiest Amazon.com : Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang) 500g : Grocery & Gourmet Food and mix with the cabbage or whatever.
The recipe calls for fish flakes but I leave that out
Here is a great YouTube channel also
Maangchi
Easy peasy
You will use it in your noodles so make plenty.

**BTW, you mix the flakes and flour and water to make that paste above. So if you just get the paste it's way easier**

Last Edited:
My favorite lunch?
I just had it.
Two slices of a one day old cold thin crust pepperoni pizza from the fridge.
..........and a rum and coke.
I am in heaven.
Not sure if it is from the pizza or the rum and coke but I don't care.

Think of all the other benefits though - at least till she turns 30 and her face slides off :eek: You know you want to...

Wifey might have a problem with that! 'Course if the gal's small.....? Back bedroom's a mess anyway, Wifey doesn't go in there much....Hmmm. Better not.

I actually went to Winco to try to get my powder yesterday (no luck and I kinda figured) and while there talked to a stunning Korean gal of maybe 60 but looked like a 16 yr old really.. anyway. So I went to Fubon up the road for most of my good stuff.
Be prepared to ask a few people stuff as many of the staff don't speak English. They've got an aisle of the pre-made paste and chili powders and stuff on the next.
Fubonn Shopping Center | The Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon | Portland, Oregon
My favorite Korean market is H-Mart.. right next to Bi-Mart but it's farther for me now so hey. It's world-class famous..
Home Page NJ

So my Kimchi is spicy as f and not fermented yet.. I like it.
I've got a bunch. And you're right.. a pint jar of the stuff is like $5 pre-made.

I see that place but never been in. Thanks.

Amazon.com : Tae-kyung Korean Red Chili Pepper Flakes Powder Gochugaru, 1 Pound : Gourmet Food : Grocery & Gourmet Food
There's your detective work;)
This is from a born in Korea girl who learned from her opa
Soak your veggies,( napa cabbage,dakon radishi,green onions,cucumbers,whatever) in salted water till its soft then rinse
Take the flakes or this paste is easiest Amazon.com : Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang) 500g : Grocery & Gourmet Food and mix with the cabbage or whatever.
The recipe calls for fish flakes but I leave that out
Here is a great YouTube channel also
Maangchi
Easy peasy
You will use it in your noodles so make plenty.

**BTW, you mix the flakes and flour and water to make that paste above. So if you just get the paste it's way easier**

I think the reason mine hasn't worked out is I'm not letting the cabbage sit in the salt/water long enough. Need to give it another shot I guess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top