JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In honor of mjbskwim, as he's pointed out a lack of upbeat threads of late, I'd like to start a positive thread. About lunch, and what's for it.

Ever since I was a kid, Lunch has always been my favorite meal of the day. It was the meal which I could socialize with friends, it was the meal that got me through the day, and often it's the most simple of fare. My favorite lunch - ever since I could remember - has been a toasted (not grilled) cheese sandwhich with some chips as a side. The sandwich, for me has only evolved in so much as I prefer sourdough bread now, vs the white or wheat we used as a kid. Bread was not a food my parents spent frivolously on - it was the cheapest of staples and they bought the cheapest of bread - whatever they could get 2 for a buck back then, which was store brand white or wheat, or when it was on sale, we'd hit up the Franz outlet and load up on their honey cracked wheat (still a favorite of mine) for the same price. We had a chest freezer, stand up freezer, and a fridge/freezer combo as a kid. Growing up with my grandparents as my parents, they were depression era children and we ALWAYS had lots of stored foods - lot of frozen left overs, lots of home canned goods, and we would buy bread in bulk and freeze all but a couple loaves. Many a lunch was a simple cheese sandwhich - usually toasted cheese. Pop a couple slices into the toaster, get it nice and brown. Slap a slice of Tillamook cheddar between. Microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese. You could make them in 60 seconds. Crunchy toasty bread with melty cheese.

If the weather was really crappy or it was a sit-down lunch for everyone, we'd have canned soup with the sandwiches. Vegetable for me - I was the odd one out who didn't (and still don't) like Tomato soup. We would usually have chips around - it varied on which was cheaper, Doritos sometimes, sometimes plain tater chips, sometimes weird store brand stuff that didn't taste right. Costco was a boon because they could get the name brand stuff as cheap or cheaper than store branded stuff from Albertson's or Safeway. We also used to have Super Food Barn which was great. But they closed when I was about 6 or 7.

To go with lunch it was usually milk, sometimes with Nestle chocolate powder mixed in. Sometimes I'd get a soda - RC Cola for the longest time until the local stores seemed to stop carrying them. Then it became Shasta.

I still rank the simple toasted cheese as my favorite lunch. My wife doesn't like the dryness of the bread, so she gets hers grilled more often than not. My kiddo tends to favor his mom's food tastes.

For a big lunch I'll have a couple crunchy zesty Vlassic dill pickles with a couple sandwhiches. Trying to keep my soda intake low I usually now have coffee or water. It's nice on a nasty day like today to chow down on some comfort food and let the mind wander while I watch my boy playing, remembering what it was like when I was his age.

So what's your favorite lunch?

I'm eating the king of cheese sandwiches (Well, Kornblatt's is good!) and leftovers from lunch to boot. Homemade pizza! I think I've finally got the whole dough thing figured out finally.

Mon through Wed I like pizza. Thurs through Sun I like pizza. Any other day I like pizza for lunch.
Homemade dungeness crab and bacon pizza.

IMG_0390_zpslrscqhke.jpg

Last Edited:
Homemade corned beef sliced tissue thin, piled high between two thick slices of fresh baked, homemade rye bread(non-caraway seed), with lots of HOT mustard and a humungous homemade dill plckle on the side, washed down with a Molsons....
....especially without the usual side of my wife and/or daughter incessantly bugging me for "justa-bites"!

Bonus points if eaten while sitting on the tailgate after a sunny fall morning spent splitting and loading firewood and contemplating an afternoon of shootin' stuff.

Last Edited:
I'll have to go with the grilled cheese sandwich and some tomato soup.
OK lets go over this for the novices.
Grilled cheese sandwich is lightly toasted bread with mayo and garlic on the pan side. Then 3-4 types of cheese of whatever flavor you like. I do blue,cheddar and some type of provolone or other soft cheese.maybe some Havarti flavor
Then the tomato soup has Basil and some blue or feta cheese in it. And some garlic of whatever type you want.Any garlic is good garlic.
Oh yeah,there has to be some type of hot sauce in the soup

One of my life long quests is finding the perfect Reuben sandwich. Perhaps the best one in Portland is at Kornblatt's on 23rd; great pickles and herring too.
DAMMIT!
Did you HAVE to mention Reuben sammiches? Really?

If you can't tell, I'm all out of corned beef. :(

Now I'm gonna have to go make some smoked salmon dip.
Oh well.

If you ever make it to Auburn Washington stop in the Sunbreak Cafe for a reuben. I have eaten thousands in at least 10 states, Theirs is the best bar none. Then take home a loaf of banana bread from the counter.

Its the food equivalent of crack. (and probably as bad for you)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top