JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Experimenting with a Privateer Leather snap off crossdraw....full body shield.
Not cheap, but it's a work of art by Les Dahl.
Perfect for driving, general carry and it snaps off, eliminating the "belt threading" process.
After break-in, the Walther snaps in almost like Kydex.

Here is a stock photo....mine is for a PPS-M2.
Hoster1786_zpsloaf6bi4.jpg

Preferred is right behind my right hip in a Mitch Rosen 5JR, S&W M65 or Colt DS. I carry the DS in a right front pocket holster as well for convenience and ease of concealabiliy, but don't find it as comfortable.

A good, heavy gunbelt is essential. As, or more important than the holster.

I have always been interested in SOB (small of back) carry, maybe slightly off center but in the general vicinity anyhow. If you don't mind, what holster are you using?

Well Armed Women's IWB kydex holster. It may work for me well because I don't have very soft hips. Any other way of carrying for me is uncomfortable besides appendix. I sometimes carry my G19 appendix but without one in the chamber. I'm okay with risking a 9mm to the cheeks but not the dick.

The draw from the small of the back is quick once you practice it several times. I can put rounds on target from small of back draw as fast as any other draw.

I seen a J Frame in .38S pulled out of a front pocket at the range yesterday; slim fella, didn't know he was carrying.

Yeah, they are slim might "steal" my wife's 442 sometime. Even my Ruger LCR is pretty undetectable in my front pocket. Plus it's really easy to get to, well ........ as long as you're standing. But in a grocery line or something, my hands are naturally near my front pockets anyhow, or I have a my thumbs hooked into them, and it doesn't look out of place. Turn slightly away from any threat, and it's easy to get at unnoticed.

3:00 to 4:00 SR9c OWB concealed generally. Open carry when hiking. Shoulder holster when hunting. Taurus pocket .380 in front pocket in dress clothes in Uncle Mikes holster if my wife will let me borrow them.

No offense here, but I don't like crossdraw because of the potential to sweep bystanders and the lessened ability to draw in hand to hand closeness and retention. 3-4 lets you turn your piece away from the problem for retention and you're able to better block with your offhand arm. I don't like SOB because of sweep to butt and legs. And if I did appendix carry I wouldn't be able to find it. I don't like back pocket carry because of very sensitive sciatic nerves.

An observation on crossdraw I have read is that unlike drawing from the strongside hip, where you sweep up and the movement brings you naturally on target, with crossdraw you're sweeping your gun horizontally and need to control more carefully, deliberately, the horizontal sweep stop to get on target.

3:00 to 4:00 SR9c OWB concealed generally. Open carry when hiking. Shoulder holster when hunting. Taurus pocket .380 in front pocket in dress clothes in Uncle Mikes holster if my wife will let me borrow them.

No offense here, but I don't like crossdraw because of the potential to sweep bystanders and the lessened ability to draw in hand to hand closeness and retention. 3-4 lets you turn your piece away from the problem for retention and you're able to better block with your offhand arm. I don't like SOB because of sweep to butt and legs. And if I did appendix carry I wouldn't be able to find it. I don't like back pocket carry because of very sensitive sciatic nerves.

No offense taken whatsoever .... constructive criticism is always welcome, to me anyhow. I totally agree, there are several downsides to crossdraw and I would need to address them if I decided to use it very much. I would mostly be looking to use a crossdraw while in my truck and keep the firearm on my person when I exit the vehicle. Granted, I am able to access my firearm from my OWB 3:00-3:30 position somewhat adequately, just looking at other options.

My favorite is OWB right at 3 o'clock since it's most comfortable and the draw is easiest, for any gun. However, I only carry that way when I'm in the "wilderness" since that's the only time I open carry. For concealed carry, my options are (in order of actual use):
1) Glock 42 AIWB at 1 o'clock in an inexpensive Blade-Tech Klipt. I can carry this way anywhere/anytime unless I have to tuck in my shirt (in which case I can move it back to 4 o'clock but still need a cover garment, which could be a western-style vest.)
2) Glock 26 at 4 o'clock in one of a bunch of holsters I own - mostly Blade-Tech.
3) Glock 42 in a pocket holster in right-front pocket, but only when I wear 511 pants or shorts, which are the only ones that are roomy enough.

This is actually a problem for me. I normally end up doing a purse carry. Now, before I get lectured on the ease of access, read further. ;)

For religious reasons I wear only dresses and skirts in public.
  • Ankle holsters will not work, as ankles are visible.
  • I have found that most waist holsters are made for heavier material, such as denim. This won't work on many of my skirts, especially the summer weight ones. My skirts get pulled down by the weight. :eek:
  • There are those that attach to the belt, but again, only a few skirts use belts.
  • I am smurf size. Therefore, even my Beretta tends to "show" on the skirts that will allow for carry.
  • The over-sized skirts also tend to sag under the weight.
Country Gent did get me a thigh holster, but I have not had a chance to try it yet as it has only been in the last year that I have been able to see my feet.

Any other ideas?

Don't know if it would work with your style of dress, but they do make carry options for bra carry. Mrs. Etrain looked into them but decided against it herself.

Experimenting with a Privateer Leather snap off crossdraw....full body shield.
Not cheap, but it's a work of art by Les Dahl.
Perfect for driving, general carry and it snaps off, eliminating the "belt threading" process.
After break-in, the Walther snaps in almost like Kydex.

Here is a stock photo....mine is for a PPS-M2.
View attachment 343765

I'm a big fan of cross draw for driving, too. I have a little, 3" "J" frame, .38+P rigged out for it!

I carry a wonder 9 ITW at 3:00, I also carry a LCP same spot same brand holster! I used to pack 'em at 4-5:00, but back pain forced me to move them forward.
Some times I use a pocket holster for the little Ruger. Big guns are usually carried in sholder rigs!
Equipment is key! Get good holsters and everything else has a good chance to follow! :)

IMG_0473.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top