JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it depends a lot on the gun, weather and wardrobe, but I go back and forth between strong-side 3:00 and 4-4:30. Right now I'm adjusting to 3:00 and I like the fact that it doesn't print when I bend over, though it feels a little tight on the hip at times. When summer rolls around I'll be wearing cargo shorts and over-size T-shirts, so 3:00 will work best for me, I suspect.

I've tried appendix-carry, and while I like the quick access AIWB provides - it hurts too much. I think perhaps I wear my pants a little too low. Maybe if I were carrying a smaller pistol (like a Sig P238/P239) I would be more successful with that.

I don't have the right wardrobe for shoulder carry, so I doubt I'll ever try that.

Ankle-carry is a possibility if I ever start carrying a backup, but it's not the best for the primary, in my opinion.

When on my property and hiking open-carry, Outer Waist Band (3:00) in a holster that hangs down a little, is my preferred method.

What's your favorite concealed-carry position? Do you change with the seasons/wardrobe? Is there anything you would recommend that I try?

Definitely strong side at about 4:00. Appendix carry is uncomfortable and prints really bad on me. Sometimes I do crossdraw at 9:00 - 10:00. I have a zero cant OWB holster for my LCR that works on either side.

Strong side, probably closest to 4:00 IWB and 3:30 AWB. Different holsters for different uses. AWB only gets used when I'm heading afield, but is more comfortable and with a thumb break, holds onto my gun more securely. Or, at least I think it does and therefore am more comfortable.

Speaking of thumb break, my sister was the first person to show me one back when she was a Portland City cop. :D I'd never seen one before and fell in love with that retention style.

Butt-cheek carry. As I have said here many times, I carry either my LCP or Shield in a Braids wallet holster in my right hip pocket. I never notice it and neither does anyone else.

Butt-cheek carry. As I have said here many times, I carry either my LCP or Shield in a Braids wallet holster in my right hip pocket. I never notice it and neither does anyone else.
I forgot to mention pocket-carry. That's an option once I get my small pistol. Don't think my .45 will work for that, however.

IWB 3:00 is my go-to, but then so is a double stack. As my concealment needs change I adjust the size of my gun as well as carry position. P380 in a pocket, G42 in OWB at 1:00, I've even used a belly band on my chest at times when I thought I might be frisked at a concert or something. I got into an NFL game that way.

But my standard usual carry is 3:00 in a Black Mamba for my 19 or 26.

Always iwb, typically between 2:00-3:00, sometimes aiwb, really depends on what I'm carrying more than anything else.

I typically wear untucked dress shirts (1 size larger) over jeans, that's my normal casual wardrobe. Summer the shirt changes to an oversized tee or polo/golf shirt.

For dressier situations, I'd go tuckable, tucked in dress shirt and a blazer or suit jacket over it...

All but a couple of my iwb holsters are tuckable, I spent many nights looking for the best solutions... So where and how stays consistent regardless of dress...

That's just me... YMMV

I carry a glock 19 most days and sometimes my p238

I go iwb appendix with the holster tilted to where the grip is closer to my belt. Prints less, more comfortable and a smoother draw. You get used to bending down the correct way to pick things up.

Out when I'm hiking or if I have it set up on my battle belt for drills it's always at the 3.

IMG_1063.JPG
This.

This is actually a problem for me. I normally end up doing a purse carry. Now, before I get lectured on the ease of access, read further. ;)

For religious reasons I wear only dresses and skirts in public.
  • Ankle holsters will not work, as ankles are visible.
  • I have found that most waist holsters are made for heavier material, such as denim. This won't work on many of my skirts, especially the summer weight ones. My skirts get pulled down by the weight. :eek:
  • There are those that attach to the belt, but again, only a few skirts use belts.
  • I am smurf size. Therefore, even my Beretta tends to "show" on the skirts that will allow for carry.
  • The over-sized skirts also tend to sag under the weight.
Country Gent did get me a thigh holster, but I have not had a chance to try it yet as it has only been in the last year that I have been able to see my feet.

Any other ideas?

Pocket and 3:00-3:30 OWB. I do have a cross draw for my LCR coming and will see how I like that. Never have tried IWB so I have no idea how I'd like that.

Relaxed fit jeans normally and cargo shorts when it's really hot out. Short sleeve t-shirts and long sleeve shirts depending on weather, and of course jackets when it's cold/wet out. My cargo pants lend themselves pretty well to front pocket and cargo pocket carry for my LCR and M&P Shield. Just have to find a holster that won't move around too much for the cargo pocket. If I'm doing a lot of walking around the cargo pocket thing can cause too much swinging around so it depends on what I'm doing.

Last Edited:
This is actually a problem for me. I normally end up doing a purse carry. Now, before I get lectured on the ease of access, read further. ;)

For religious reasons I wear only dresses and skirts in public.
  • Ankle holsters will not work, as ankles are visible.
  • I have found that most waist holsters are made for heavier material, such as denim. This won't work on many of my skirts, especially the summer weight ones. My skirts get pulled down by the weight. :eek:
  • There are those that attach to the belt, but again, only a few skirts use belts.
  • I am smurf size. Therefore, even my Beretta tends to "show" on the skirts that will allow for carry.
  • The over-sized skirts also tend to sag under the weight.
Country Gent did get me a thigh holster, but I have not had a chance to try it yet as it has only been in the last year that I have been able to see my feet.

Any other ideas?
I bought my wife a belly band. Works with yoga pants to skirts.

I carry a beretta vertec at 3 o'clock in a white hat holster maxtuck hybrid holster. Just added a Bigfoot gun belt and it provides excellent support. Gun doesn't print at all. Occasionally carry a beretta tomcat in a belly band if I need to wear a suit/tie. On the property, usually carry owb in a fobus, again at 3. For me, that's what works best.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews