JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shhhhhh! You'll upset the children!

I love all of my guns equally...at least as far as they know. I have to live with them and a couple of them are pretty bubblegumy about things. If they ever found out that I like some of them a little more than others it would be like WW III! :D

At this time I don't have any guns I don't have a use for. One of these days I'll get a Sharps like was used in Quigly Down Under, but that's probably the only exception in my plans. Even at that it will sit above a fireplace on display and it will be fired at least once a year.

I prefer that guns get used, and if I'm not using them then I prefer they belong to someone who will. When it comes to your guns, well, that's your prerogative to use or not as you please.

Shhhhhh! You'll upset the children!

I love all of my guns equally...at least as far as they know. I have to live with them and a couple of them are pretty bubblegumy about things. If they ever found out that I like some of them a little more than others it would be like WW III! :D
That's hilarious

When I started my first job (and current) after graduating from college I bought myself a Smith and Wesson 500. Had to sell it a year later due to financial circumstances but bought the same model back about 2 years ago just for the sentiment. Do I like to shoot it? Kinda, but not really. I think enjoy watching other people shoot it more than shooting it myself.:cool:

Here you go Andy I know you can teach us all how to shoot the musket I saw you do it once a teacher always teacher IMAG0945.jpg IMAG0944.jpg IMAG0943.jpg

I own several. Family heirlooms mostly.

My dad gave me his old side by side Stevens Springfield shotgun. He got it for his 14th (1959) birthday. My Granddad owned it for many years before that so we are figuring it was made in the early '40's. It didn't have a serial number.

Anyway, my dad had it chopped down to a "coach gun" about 8 years ago. It was a lousy job and ruined any value it had frankly. Not that it was much. But he ended up giving it to me a few years ago as he couldn't take the recoil any longer. I had @Velzey do a complete overhaul and refinish on it. Some may think I wasted money on an old shotgun that wasn't worth a whole lot. And it really doesn't fit into any real purpose. But it makes me smile every time I look at it. And dad sure got a kick out of it after the refinish job. If I tried to sell it today, I'd be lucky to see $150 for it. But to me, it's freaking priceless and will never be for sale.

I own several. Family heirlooms mostly.

My dad gave me his old side by side Stevens Springfield shotgun. He got it for his 14th (1959) birthday. My Granddad owned it for many years before that so we are figuring it was made in the early '40's. It didn't have a serial number.

Anyway, my dad had it chopped down to a "coach gun" about 8 years ago. It was a lousy job and ruined any value it had frankly. Not that it was much. But he ended up giving it to me a few years ago as he couldn't take the recoil any longer. I had @Velzey do a complete overhaul and refinish on it. Some may think I wasted money on an old shotgun that wasn't worth a whole lot. And it really doesn't fit into any real purpose. But it makes me smile every time I look at it. And dad sure got a kick out of it after the refinish job. If I tried to sell it today, I'd be lucky to see $150 for it. But to me, it's freaking priceless and will never be for sale.

That sounds like a new thread! What family gun heirlooms do you own? ;)

This is a good thread up to a point. because when it comes down to guns that you need you can have a thousand guns but when the SHTF The only ones that will matter is the ones you can carry and have plenty of ammo for lol my ar my Glock and possibly I can throw my AK and some round in the back of my truck hehe

I look at them as history books and mechanical engineering reference books. Each tells its bit of the story. Each one a different bit. Along with some antique farm tractors and some machine tools. My son may have to resolve the problem after I'm gone. I do feel a little sorry for him.... but only a little ;)

I have more shotguns then I technically need.

A pair are heirloom, one turned into a clay gun but could easily be a bird gun (a bit heavy though) and was until I found an 870 Magnum express with a long vented barrel - could have just bought a barrel for my other 870 for a little less but I'm trying to slowly build up my collection with cheap guns to start with.

In general, I have an idea what I'll use a gun I'm buying for - even if I already have one serving that purpose. My cash flow is low so no high end guns or frivolous buys in the near future for me.

Could be worse:rolleyes:

Well, things have changed a bit since this thread was started and I posted.
I still have that old Colt. Just can't part with it.
The Ruger 375 went away in a trade for a beautiful Pre-64 Winchester Mod 70 that I don't use. It's "place" in life is my backup hunting rifle. Ya know, just in case. However, it's a valuable gun and I've often considered parting with it and my old Three Screw Blackhawk 41 Mag. it doesn't hurt if they just sit there, but I'm more of a "user" than a collector. I have that safe queen Colt that can satisfy my urges for fondling...
I recently sold a couple of guns that I'd been hanging onto, but had no need for them.
Financially things aren't as good at this house as in the past, and I'm turning the "extra" guns into cash to stash before I may need.
But I did just buy a 10-22. My grandson is getting very close to the age that we would be wanting one. Some things are important.:)

And in another three years things have again changed.
Of the guns mentioned above, only the Ruger 10-22 is still in the safe. The Winchester, 41 Mag and the Colt all went down the road.
The Winchester was a "backup", the 41 Mag ended up being replaced with a 44 Mag (because of the gun, not the cartridge) and the Colt just put money in the safe.

These days I have Dad's guns, too. They have no real purpose here. I'm just holding onto them for my nephews. I'll never condemn anyone for having many firearms, but I've only "need" so many. If I was a rich man I may have a different outlook.

One thing I do find distressing is the folks who look at my muzzleloaders and can see no use for them.
I understand that we all have different likes and tastes in firearms...but to totally dismiss the notion that a gun however old or dated no longer has a use , just seems wrong to me.
After all if it wasn't for the flintlock and the men who used them, we wouldn't be here as a nation today....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads