JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just something to consider here....

If you do carry at work and your employer has rules against it...
It may be wise to not admit to doing so.

Not saying that I am for or against carrying at one's work place , or even discussing it.

I am saying that it is important to remember that :

The internet is big place...
NWFA is a open forum with lots of visitors...
Actions have consequences...
Concealed means concealed , many here frown on "open carry" ...posting on a forum that you carry , could be seen as a form of "open carry"..as in you openly admit to carrying ....
What you post on the internet is out there...even after it may get deleted....
Andy
While I don't disagree with most of what you said I will say that tiptoeing around people's feelings and trying to not offend their opinions is what has got us backed into this corner to begin with. If it's legal for me to do something it's my right to do it if I so wish, does not matter one bit what somebody thinks about it. With that being said I still behave with taste and "class" if you will...... I think giving anti 2A people bad perceptions of gun owners is a mistake many us make.

I always used the don't ask don't tell. In jobs where it was a no way it had to be well hidden. Only reason I still had one was in case I got trapped. Deep cover is never going to be quick to get into action. I always figured if someone came in the place to shoot people I would be looking for the nearest exit. If I could not get to one and ended up having to hold up behind some door? I would have plenty of time to have the gun in hand. If shooter comes through that door before the good guys? Well at least I will not be sitting in a corner waiting my turn to be shot. Will I ever "need this"? I am sure the answer is no. That does not make me not do it. Many jobs getting caught would mean getting fired :s0092:
Since I have never felt I needed to show the gun to people I work with there was no "getting caught". Only way that would happen is if I needed the gun. After that was over if they fired me? I would still be alive to find another job.

I work for a liberal company that doesn't like guns…from pew twigs to boom sticks, they're all banned on site.

I'm not really willing to risk my job over it. Like I've posted before, I fight the company ethos by taking friends out shooting - it's a grassroots kind of effort.

But, I also don't go into the office much anymore either.

Not going to give too many details, because you never know who is reading this, but basically along the same lines as you, lots of rules (rules, not laws) against it where I go, but concealed is concealed. I prefer ankle carry most days at work, since my belt area gets exposed a lot. but I will slip it into my pocket if I feel the need. When I get sent to a more sketchy area, my 228 goes on my belt.

First rule about carrying at work, or anywhere for that matter, is you don't talk about it on the internet.

Ive had co-workers on here and even bosses.

Not including how completely insane companies are these days with scrubbing the internet for information on their employees and or future employees.

Never needed a gun in my work, but always carried an 1/8"dia, 12" screw driver that didn't fit anything in the top of my box. :rolleyes:
I used to enjoy working at facilities that had metal detectors as I've enough metal in my body to set them all ringing. but, they seldom looked in my toolbox. :s0092:
I refrain from flying though as airports are a PIA.:mad:

Officially there is a no firearm policy at work but, I've been encouraged to keep a sufficient supply of coyote abatement material around, LOL. The yotes do a great deal of damage throughout the year, especially the pups. So, I get to rotate what I feel is sufficient. Most times it's an AR of some sort, but sometimes I'll swap it out for a bolt action. I don't feel unarmed too bad as I'm not ever far from my work truck and employ the avoid if possible method.

Job?:
Management at a tech company

Carry on the way to work?:
90% of the time I work from home, so no commute is required. If I drive in, yes.

Carry at work?:
When I'm working from home, of course. In the office it's prohibited, so the rare occasions when I commute in, I secure my firearm in my vehicle, which I make sure to park in areas the company does not control, and carry defensive tools that are acceptable in a non-permissive environment - kubaton, knife, flashlight, etc.

How does your company feel about it?:
Let's just say the NRA isn't on their Christmas card list.

How do you carry at work?:
No firearm.
Knife and flashlight clipped to the lining of the right front pocket.
Kubaton clipped to the lining of the left front pocket.
Trauma kit in right rear pocket.

Do you change the way you carry based on where your job takes you?:
When I travel for work I either ship the workplace-permissible defensive tools I need to my hotel (long stays only) or buy cheap ones there and dispose of them before I fly back home.

Are you worried about carrying at work?:
Nope. Overall I find my work environment to be relatively low risk for a serious violent encounter like an active shooter, especially since we have switched to a largely work-from-home posture. I do not currently see a benefit to risking running afoul of the company's firearms policy.

I would add a few questions to your list - curious to see how people answer:

- What do you perceive as the top risks to your life or safety at / near work that might require the use of deadly force, and what do you consider the likelihood of each? For me:
1. Assault / robbery while stopping at a gas station or store during the commute to or from work (likelihood = medium due to frequent need to stop for gas, groceries, etc)
2. Assault / robbery while in the neighborhood of my office (likelihood = low due to relatively low crime rate in area, exception being protests / demonstrations that occasionally happen)
3. Workplace violence, such as active shooter (likelihood = low for insider threats due to company's work-from-home posture, still low but slightly higher from outsider threat because crazy people exist, and some of them hate the company)

- Do you carry other defensive tools besides a firearm?
Yes, as described above.

- How do you maintain situational awareness in the workplace?
1. Sit with back to wall where possible
2. Take calls / meetings in closed rooms so I'm not in situations where I am unaware of what's behind me
3. Avoid looking at my phone while walking around
4. Continually scan environment, even when at a desk / computer
5. Know the work environment inside and out - normal patterns of life, security protocols, exits & stairwells, blind spots, locations of potential improvised weapons, locking doors, choke points, alarms, coworkers & their behaviors, etc.

In short, I'm not going to risk my salary, stock options, and benefits needlessly. A gun is a tool, and a very effective one for its purpose, but it is a tool of last resort. While I would definitely prefer to carry one with me all the time (wouldn't carry on the commute if I didn't), I don't feel naked without it. I maintain situational awareness, avoid risky situations where possible, mentally prepare to act, and carry defensive tools that will help give me an edge in those circumstances. Between these things I feel adequately prepared to deal with most threat situations, and avoid the ones I'm not prepared for.

I would need to reevaluate that decision if:
1. My work environment were a higher risk (worse neighborhood, in-office daily, tough financial times, mass layoffs, visible tensions, etc.)
2. I had to take public transit to/from work (no place to secure the gun on arrival, greater risk in commute)
3. I had less to lose if I were caught with a firearm (low salary, few/no benefits, etc.)
4. I did not have others depending on my income (single, no kids or elderly parents, etc)
5. Being fired from my current job would have little effect on my ability to find comparable employment elsewhere (retail/service/skilled trade job vs office job)
6. Being fired would not significantly impact my career path or potential for advancement (nearing end of career, not wanting more than an entry level role, etc.)

While I don't disagree with most of what you said I will say that tiptoeing around people's feelings and trying to not offend their opinions is what has got us backed into this corner to begin with. If it's legal for me to do something it's my right to do it if I so wish, does not matter one bit what somebody thinks about it. With that being said I still behave with taste and "class" if you will...... I think giving anti 2A people bad perceptions of gun owners is a mistake many us make.
My point was not about "tiptoeing around people's feelings and trying not to offend".

My point was :
Some places you cannot carry....if you want to remain employed there and you carry anyway..
It might be best to not own up to it , over the internet , where someone you know from your workplace could see it.
Andy

Last Edited:
I carry everywhere but work. Against policy for non uniformed to carry. I work in law enforcement as an instructor/ inspector and work side by side with officers all day long. I know a few that would most likely toss me their gun if SHTF because they know I can hold my own. I do get to put my heater in my locker at work so it's close by at all times.

When I was in construction I hired, Fired, carried cash, drove a truck with $40, 000 in tools and equipment [ that was years ago, it would cost triple that now], So yes I carried.
The Official line from the company was No Guns Allowed. But I had skills, my own tools, and transportation. The Bosses knew that If I was fired today I would be working for their competition the next day, so it was don't ask don't tell.
When I was in my mid 30's I took a job that would build a retirement. Somewhere about 10 years in I realized that breaking company rules could cost me more than just changing company's. I had already invested 10 years toward a full retirement. I changed my outlook on rules.
I could have been issued a gun locker, but that would have been political suicide. The department would have flushed me first chance they got. So I kept my head down and finished another 15 years. Now my retirement pays more than I made working.
So I have made the cost / benefit analysis, Carried when it made sense, and not when the possible cost was too great. DR

Since leaving law enforcement I took a job in the security industry that has me traveling all up and down the west coast. I don't have to carry a firearm and my employer treats it as a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing. I choose to carry though because I have to carry my work laptop with me everywhere (on call 24/7/365). That laptop has the ability to bypass the security systems for cash vaults; among other areas holding high value items.

The probability is low but if it somehow got leaked who can access these systems at my employer it could lead to targeted attacks.

Since leaving law enforcement I took a job in the security industry that has me traveling all up and down the west coast. I don't have to carry a firearm and my employer treats it as a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing. I choose to carry though because I have to carry my work laptop with me everywhere (on call 24/7/365). That laptop has the ability to bypass the security systems for cash vaults; among other areas holding high value items.

The probability is low but if it somehow got leaked who can access these systems at my employer it could lead to targeted attacks.
Not to mention your life has value and being able to have an additional tool to protect that value is simply a good practice.

Great thread.
I am a musician (yes you can get paid for that) and carrying at gigs and sessions is very much a "don't ask don't tell" thang. At sessions I generally keep a G19 in an old Dillon Soft Briefcase bag with the hidden zipper compartment. It's my extra strings, parts and Snapple carrier too.
On stage at gigs it has been a PM9 for many years but I recently switched to a P365. Usually IWB, the velvet cape covers it up nicely. At gigs where I am required to go shirtless sans cape I pack a J frame in my cod piece. Had to buy the XXL version but it's easy access and chicks dig it.

Carry on the way to work?: Duh. If pants on, gun is on.
Well, sometimes with no pants right? I hear stuff about you guys and soccer moms tripping breakers
"acccidentally".

...Wait. I mean it's nice when guys aren't afraid to put their balls on the table.

I mean.. dang it I'll quit while I'm ahead
Too late Bro. :s0123:

Last Edited:
My point was not about "tiptoeing around people's feelings and trying not to offend".

My point was :
Some places you cannot carry....if you want to remain employed there and you carry anyway..
It might be best to not own up to it , over the internet , where someone you know from your workplace could see it.
Andy
Reading comprehension is a somewhat lost art nowadays......... I think most of us understood what you were saying.

When I was working I carried to and from but not inside although the plant manager and all the other higher ups thought I did. I just carried other things inside that I could use or throw that weren't verboten, but a large portion of my crews had a knife in their hand or access to one quickly.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top